Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 00:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what caused this

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,396 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 04, 2012 12:29 |  #16

Numenorean wrote in post #14208227 (external link)
But then the shadow would be more on the right, not the left. The shadow is from a light source slightly camera right.

I guess you could hold the camera backwards and get that but that would be awfully uncomfortable.

I've seen people hold it like that though. I think I've even seen threads about it.

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,396 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 04, 2012 12:30 |  #17

digital paradise wrote in post #14208825 (external link)
Good call. There must have been a second light source like a lamp or something.

A lamp is unlikely to be that small and bright that close to the lens though.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 04, 2012 14:35 |  #18

But then the shadow would be more on the right, not the left. The shadow is from a light source slightly camera right.

I guess you could hold the camera backwards and get that but that would be awfully uncomfortable.

That's the way I hold mine in portrait orientation - shutter button at the bottom, flash to the right of the camera. The difference is that I use my moveable flash head so that it still bounces the flash instead of firing straight ahead.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 04, 2012 22:10 as a reply to  @ post 14208924 |  #19

I could imagine someone inexperienced or whatever actually turning the camera to portrait orientation but in the opposite direction than what we consider "standard", so that the flash is coming from camera right -- after all, your right hand can still hold the grip and the finger can stay on the shutter and you can still look through the viewfinder, it's not like turning the camera upside down, and I can imagine plenty of people don't know the "proper way" to hold the camera:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2012 07:54 |  #20

tonylong wrote in post #14211750 (external link)
I could imagine someone inexperienced or whatever actually turning the camera to portrait orientation but in the opposite direction than what we consider "standard", so that the flash is coming from camera right -- after all, your right hand can still hold the grip and the finger can stay on the shutter and you can still look through the viewfinder, it's not like turning the camera upside down, and I can imagine plenty of people don't know the "proper way" to hold the camera:)!

That's me - improper all the way! ;)

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,698 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 05, 2012 11:58 |  #21

Some folks like to rotate their cameras clockwise into Portrait orientation! :(

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,698 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 05, 2012 12:03 |  #22

The side shadow to the left is caused by position of the flash, to the right of the camera. The side shadow could have been to the right, if the camera was rotated counter-clockwise to Portrait orientation (the more usual situation). Putting the flash on a bracket, which maintains flash position directly over the axis of the lens, would help with photos of people, because the shadow would fall behind the people where it cannot be seen by the lens; but in this situation of stair rail supports, it would not be the total solution.

A second flash would NOT fix the problem...it would merely add a second set of shadows!
Bouncing flash off the ceiling, which becomes a huge virtual source of light, would help to greatly reduce shadow definition (think of what happens on an overcast day...you don't see shadows!)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 13, 2012 23:19 |  #23

After really looking I would say this is a crop censor specific problem, switch to FF and no more problems.

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,396 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2012 23:26 |  #24

shayneyasinski wrote in post #14262696 (external link)
After really looking I would say this is a crop censor specific problem, switch to FF and no more problems.

huh?

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,509 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 14, 2012 08:51 |  #25

Curious about that as well.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 14, 2012 09:03 |  #26

???

Really struggling to see what you're getting at. The only thing I can think of is that no Canon fullframe cameras have a built-in flash, and thus either using an external flash or no flash at all, you'd be less likely to end up with the shadows shown in the OP. But if that's what you're thinking of, I think it's quite a stretch...

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 14, 2012 09:19 |  #27

It isn't necessarily "wrong" to hold it that way with flash. I almost always shoot the conventional (shutter button high) way in portrait mode, but on a few occasions when I am shooting with a speedlight on camera, I may go the other way in order to position the flash at a more suitable angle. Depending on the angle to your subject, the flash can light them quite differently from being offset to your right instead of the left, particularly if you want to bounce it off the wall on that side.

Although I do avoid direct flash as a primary light source whenever possible, I do find it useful outside as a fill light and choose my "side" according to how I need to fill shadows or otherwise light the subject.

I agree, generally, with what you say but it sometimes pays to take the position of the flash into consideration. Oh, and my mates missus DOES use her camera upside down (admittedly it is only a compact not an SLR) because she is left handed and trying to use it normally finds she cannot squeeze the shutter button smoothly and tends to jerk the camera, so she uses it upside down and presses the release with her left thumb. Apparently it is what works best for her, but it does look damn peculiar. :lol:

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 14, 2012 09:27 |  #28

After taking just a second looking at your post, I would say that you're completely and totally wrong.

Gear List

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 14, 2012 11:20 |  #29

Especially someone who uses a P&S where they have never had to use manual zoom or manual focus. When you are used to just holding the camera at arm's length to shoot, it doesn't really matter which way you rotate it for portraits.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 14, 2012 11:23 |  #30

Numenorean wrote in post #14264261 (external link)
After taking just a second looking at your post, I would say that you're completely and totally wrong.

I'm sincerely hoping that he's trying to be funny (sarcastic)? :confused: He needs to learn what the emoticons are for. ;) :lol:

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links

3,054 views & 0 likes for this thread
what caused this
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.