Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Dec 2011 (Friday) 14:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of offering free photoshoots to military families...

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 30, 2011 10:33 |  #46

Dan Marchant wrote in post #13492916 (external link)
Putting a quota limit or asking people to justify why they should get a free shoot is a PR nightmare. People are going to get turned down and regardless of the way the decision is made they won't be happy.

I would suggest that instead of unlimited free, you offer a discount to military, which enables you support them while at least covering costs. Then, offer unofficial free shoots to needy people like the case in the OP. This gives help where it is needed without creating a feeling on entitlement in others. Then, if you want, volunteer as mentioned in the posts above, where you are one of several volunteers and the load is shared.

I agree with a lot of this. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to decide who "deserves" a free shoot because of their hardship, and who isn't "needy" enough. Pairing with an existing charity or organization would take a lot of the difficulty off your shoulders, and allow you to focus on the photography.

My wife lost her job several months ago, and then was injured in a car accident and can't work for more than a few hours at a time. Our income is about half of what it was a year ago, and we've had to cut back on almost all discretionary spending. Does that make us "needy?" I suppose if things get really tough, I can sell the BMW.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 30, 2011 11:11 |  #47

BreitlingFan wrote in post #13619807 (external link)
There's your answer.

I don't understand why people are trying to talk the OP out of this. The OP obviously feels strongly about it. It's wonderful to see someone who's so obviously appreciative of our military. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Never said it wasn't a nice gesture. Just saying it doesn't really make much sense. Why doesn't EVERYONE give military people stuff for free? Because they also have bills to pay, families to feed, etc. So they offer a discount rather than services/products for free. It shows their gratitude towards the military and they still can afford to keep the lights on.

NavyShrink
259 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 31, 2012 02:01 |  #48

I think it's an awesome idea. More people should display such generosity to the military. My wife has been doing this for a while, offering free shoots of spouses/kids whose military husbands (or wives) are deployed. It's actually been a good PR move, too, because we've had a few people book her for a paying session for reunion photos.

5DII x2 | 7D | 17-40L | 35L | Σ 50 | 85L | 135L | 70-200L IS II | Fuji X100

northpointphoto
754 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 31, 2012 23:29 |  #49

Screw everyone who tells you not to do it because its "Bad for your profits" or it "hurts other local photographers."

Unless you've actually served in the military you have no idea how much a picture can mean to someone when they're away from there families for months or even years at a time.

You're right we get payed twice a month (even though I'm making a lot less than I did at my old job) and we get medical benefits (which my old job also paid for) but that doest make up for missing stuff like your kids being born, birthdays, anniversaries, holidays.

Like a friend of mind who left for Iraq a week before his first kid was born and when he came home 18 months later his kid didn't even know who he was.

I say go for it but what I would do is have a scheduled date and time frame where military families can come and get the portrait taken. IE Fridays from noon till 4pm or something like that. That way you don't put too much strain on yourself and people know at 4pm (or whatever time) the free sessions stop.

Russell
Russell Tracy Photography (external link) |LIGHTING SETUPS AND DIAGRAMS
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,147 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 01, 2012 13:12 |  #50

Unless you've actually served in the military you have no idea how much a picture can mean to someone when they're away from there families for months or even years at a time.

I very likely did more time in the military than you have (26 years), and I still say: If you want to do good, get with the charitable and service organizations who already work with the military to focus your efforts on those who need help most.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Brian ­ Parkes
57 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 01, 2012 17:09 |  #51

I think that's a great idea and it's certainly going to be appreciated by the familes. You don't have to do everyone, just make it clear you can only do so many a month so you can balance it with your paid gigs.

Brian Parkes LSWPP
www.brianparkes.com (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 04, 2012 17:49 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

GadgetRick wrote in post #13620474 (external link)
Never said it wasn't a nice gesture. Just saying it doesn't really make much sense. Why doesn't EVERYONE give military people stuff for free? Because they also have bills to pay, families to feed, etc. So they offer a discount rather than services/products for free. It shows their gratitude towards the military and they still can afford to keep the lights on.

You know what?

I can give away photos to military folks for free, and I can keep my lights on.

I'm retired military, and I am firmly of the belief that we simply cannot do enough for our military folks.

Don't get me wrong: Discounts are great.

But if I can do more, I'm going to, and I'm going to stand and applaud those who do the same...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 04, 2012 17:49 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

northpointphoto wrote in post #14189202 (external link)
Screw everyone who tells you not to do it because its "Bad for your profits" or it "hurts other local photographers."

You're right we get payed twice a month (even though I'm making a lot less than I did at my old job) and we get medical benefits (which my old job also paid for) but that doest make up for missing stuff like your kids being born, birthdays, anniversaries, holidays.

Like a friend of mind who left for Iraq a week before his first kid was born and when he came home 18 months later his kid didn't even know who he was.

I say go for it but what I would do is have a scheduled date and time frame where military families can come and get the portrait taken. IE Fridays from noon till 4pm or something like that. That way you don't put too much strain on yourself and people know at 4pm (or whatever time) the free sessions stop.

^^^^^

THAT.

A thousand times, THAT...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,855 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 04, 2012 17:57 |  #54

Kudos to the OP.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links

4,883 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of offering free photoshoots to military families...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.