Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with project

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 01, 2012 16:19 |  #1

I'm doing a project for my MBA program on wedding photography. I've realized that the photography industry is overly saturated. With that said, I would like to know what you guys look for when choosing a photographer for your wedding...

If possible, please comment on what you would/might do to distinguish yourself from the rest of the people who just bought a DSLR and now consider themselves professional photographers.

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 03, 2012 12:19 |  #2

I'll let others with more experience weigh in here (I've only shot 35 or so weddings), but I think that most professional wedding photographers don't actively do anything to distinguish themselves from that perhaps overly-confident rebel-clad crowd. Most of us are too busy working at improving our craft. If our images, our product, resembles that of the beginner, I think we're in trouble.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 03, 2012 13:04 |  #3

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14203162 (external link)
but I think that most professional wedding photographers don't actively do anything to distinguish themselves from that perhaps overly-confident rebel-clad crowd.

I agree with this. There's a difference between wedding photography and taking pictures at a wedding. It's all about creating a defining style for yourself and not trying to be all things to all people because all that gets you is being nothing to no one.

While the market is saturated on the supply side, it remains sufficiently large on the demand side. Pricing has been under pressure, but the market itself remains in tact with all of it's segments. The couple who would be willing to hire that guy who just got a nice camera last Christmas was not my prospective client anyway; I pursue a different segment.

Another way of saying this is that only so many people/prospective clients can tell the difference between wedding photography and taking pictures at a wedding. It's those people that we need to understand and market to. They get the value, they've planned for the budget, and we compete for them not against guys with a camera but other professionals who also have advanced skills. Then it becomes about competing more on style (price, too, but at a very different tier).

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 03, 2012 19:41 |  #4

The market is only saturated for those who cannot stand out

Peter

harroz
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 03, 2012 22:35 |  #5

what they said^^

blog (external link) weddings (external link) commercial (external link) mm (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 04, 2012 12:35 |  #6

Thank you for the comments/advice! Please keep them coming.

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2012 22:41 |  #7

Exposure101 wrote in post #14191977 (external link)
I would like to know what you guys look for when choosing a photographer for your wedding

Are you asking us wedding photographers, or folks who are looking for a wedding photographer?

First thing you should look for in a wedding photographer is someone whose images you absolutely love. Then you should see if they're in your price range. If they are, great! If they're not, or if they're already booked, ask them if they have any recommendations.

After establishing you've found someone that shoots in a style you prefer, has the date open, and is affordable, make sure they've been around the block a few times. Ask them for referrals and/or a few portfolios of entire weddings.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 05, 2012 13:47 |  #8

PhotoMatte wrote in post #14211966 (external link)
Are you asking us wedding photographers, or folks who are looking for a wedding photographer?

First thing you should look for in a wedding photographer is someone whose images you absolutely love. Then you should see if they're in your price range. If they are, great! If they're not, or if they're already booked, ask them if they have any recommendations.

After establishing you've found someone that shoots in a style you prefer, has the date open, and is affordable, make sure they've been around the block a few times. Ask them for referrals and/or a few portfolios of entire weddings.

I'm asking both. I would like to hear from the pros on here as well as those that are looking for wedding photographers. I'm just curious as to the obstacles that pros have to face as well as what they feel they can improve on. Also it would be great to see what has been working for you professional wedding photographers out there. My project is due in a few days and I would like to get a few more comments just to get a better understanding of the wedding photography business.

sponsored links

1,105 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with project
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.