Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 05 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 11:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tell me what you think.

AnnieMarie
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 05, 2012 11:56 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

What can I improve on?

sponsored links
Dr ­ Lazarus
711 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 05, 2012 12:02 |  #2

Honestly it looks like a rendered 3D model, not a photograph. Can we see the original?

Flickr (external link)

AnnieMarie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 05, 2012 12:10 |  #3

Thank you for being honest!

(By the way, feel free to edit my pictures, I need to change that)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Here's the original. I can understand where you're coming from. Should I lay off the eye brightening? What can I do to make this picture look more original-ish, but professional at the same time?

Feel free to give suggestions as well.

;)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,390 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Apr 05, 2012 14:19 as a reply to  @ AnnieMarie's post |  #4

I have found that slight desaturation helps to diminish discolorations on skin. He appears to have yellow splotches on his face.

Not so much for this photo, but if you're looking for a professional look, don't use the camera's on-board flash. Or use it only for fill flash. For example, position him near a sunny window (but not actually in the sun) and use the flash to fill in the dark spots. This gives you two light sources, which can help to bring out the contours of the face. You'll have to check your manual for the camera settings for fill flash. Another alternative is a camera-mounted external flash that can bounce the light off a light ceiling or wall.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 05, 2012 14:20 |  #5

It's the lighting that makes it look like a snapshot...

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 05, 2012 14:55 as a reply to  @ mguffin's post |  #6

He appears to have yellow splotches on his face.

These are usually caused by overexposure causing the red channel to clip. Looks like that here.

I'm really not sure what the OP was trying to accomlish in creating the plastic doll looking image from the original?

Richard
Gear

toastyphoto
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 06, 2012 07:40 |  #7

The point here is that the photograph needs to be reshot in better lighting. No amount of post production will make this a properly lit photograph.

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 06, 2012 10:35 |  #8

See that dark shadow under his chin. Professionals rarely get that because they do not use the pop-up flash for main lighting. If you want some different takes on it post a bigger version and turn on image editing. You'd be surprised what might develop. you only need to brighten eyes when they are dark - in this case they are plenty bright because of your flash. You can buy or easily make a flash-bounce device that will direct your flash upwards to bounce off the ceiling (if you have a bright ceiling).

-- Image Editing OK --

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,498 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2012 12:51 |  #9

Dr Lazarus wrote in post #14214883 (external link)
Honestly it looks like a rendered 3D model, not a photograph. ...

That was my first impression as well. Eyes are unnaturally white and look over sharpened. I don't mind trying new PP techniques and make photos look a little artsy, but this one is way too unnatural and pastic-looking. I'm not an expert on lighting but bouncing light around to eliminate that harsh shadow under his chin is a must.

It honestly looks like a quick snapshot. I don't think any amount of processing will make it more than that.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│Canon M50
Glass: Tamron 35mm f/1.4│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 07, 2012 06:51 as a reply to  @ rivas8409's post |  #10

Actually, the original is a big improvement over the edited version.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,406 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tell me what you think.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.