Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,397 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 05, 2012 09:38 |  #6976

Supersteve911 wrote in post #14213986 (external link)
I tried some one lighters and they didn't turn out so I added the second light. Im new to indoor studio stuff so still trying to figure out exposure and light metering inside. Thanks for the help.

Get one light working before you add another light.;)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,972 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2012 10:28 |  #6977

wamerritt wrote in post #14212268 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

playing with multi-flash
QUOTED IMAGE

Like the shot.

There's a musician / model in Portland, who plays drums. I was hoping to take him and his full set outdoors when weather is better.

BTW, if in light of a previous comment, found some new backdrops this past weekend. A 9 foot tall old-growth redcedar stump, huge mossy log, and seasonal pool of water under grove of trees. Hope to try them out the upcoming week if weather holds.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 05, 2012 11:20 |  #6978

jwp721 wrote in post #14208372 (external link)
Actually it not the eyes... it is everything around the eyes that is being blurred by the skin softening program (I think Tiffany is using Portraiture). Sometimes the effect is not as evident as in the subject with the magnolia flower in her hair that Tiffany posted a few days ago and then sometimes the only thing you can see is teeth and eyes. It can actually look pretty scary to me when it is extreme. The reason I am pretty sure it is the skin softening technique is Mike (umphotography) recently purchased the same program and the effect is starting to show itself in his images as well. Also Tiffany has repeatedly said she has done nothing to the eyes whenever something is mentioned about this. My niece in Va had her senior pics done two years ago and the photographer there created similiar results.... teeth and eyes were the only thing in focus and overly white.

I have mentioned it before but if the images are selling and the customers are happy I see no reason that they should change what they are doing based upon what I am seeing ;) .....

Have you used portraiture? I have never seen that problem from portraiture. also I believe most people make out the eyes and lips and teeth and hair and clothes (hopefully)

I see that problem a lot from over sharpening. things apear sharp because there is a light pixel next to a dark pixel, sharpening, depending on the method, but basically makes the transitions from light to dark faster and more contrasty to apear sharper.

this can cause the whites of the eyes to get over white.

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,596 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 05, 2012 11:46 |  #6979

bedojo wrote in post #14214652 (external link)
Have you used portraiture? I have never seen that problem from portraiture. also I believe most people make out the eyes and lips and teeth and hair and clothes (hopefully)

I see that problem a lot from over sharpening. things apear sharp because there is a light pixel next to a dark pixel, sharpening, depending on the method, but basically makes the transitions from light to dark faster and more contrasty to apear sharper.

I layer and mask the affect. Its brushed on so nothing can possibly get into the eyes or clothing. When i brush it on, I apply to skin only and im constantly looking for the happy medium so i can see pours in the skin and it doesn't look plastic. Im usually someplace B/t 55-70% opacity depending on skin of the subject.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 05, 2012 12:37 |  #6980

umphotography wrote in post #14214809 (external link)
I layer and mask the affect. Its brushed on so nothing can possibly get into the eyes or clothing. When i brush it on, I apply to skin only and im constantly looking for the happy medium so i can see pours in the skin and it doesn't look plastic. Im usually someplace B/t 55-70% opacity depending on skin of the subject.

Yeah same here :)
I noticed it works pretty well, got to watch out for the skin texture every once in a while it will just destroy it, I have it setup to perserve small details but even out the transitions in tones :) people already have naturally smooth skin (most people) so i try to limit the texture smoothing effects and try to keep the skin tone transition smoothing it provides :) saves alot of time dodge and burning to get nice transitions, but doesn't look quite as nice. but unless I'm doing a beauty shoot It doesn't make much of a noticeable difference

looks like my work keyboard is messed up, someone cleaned them over break and busted about 15 of our mac keyboards >.<

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

Supersteve911
613 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 05, 2012 12:53 as a reply to  @ bedojo's post |  #6981

Here is the one light I tried.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i805.photobucke​t.com …_Photography/IM​G_0766.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i805.photobucke​t.com …_Photography/IM​G_0787.jpg (external link)

5D III | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 II 2.8 | 2 430 EX II's | 580 EX II |

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 05, 2012 13:21 as a reply to  @ Supersteve911's post |  #6982

jwp721 wrote in post #14208372 (external link)
Actually it not the eyes... it is everything around the eyes that is being blurred by the skin softening program (I think Tiffany is using Portraiture). Sometimes the effect is not as evident as in the subject with the magnolia flower in her hair that Tiffany posted a few days ago and then sometimes the only thing you can see is teeth and eyes. It can actually look pretty scary to me when it is extreme. The reason I am pretty sure it is the skin softening technique is Mike (umphotography) recently purchased the same program and the effect is starting to show itself in his images as well. Also Tiffany has repeatedly said she has done nothing to the eyes whenever something is mentioned about this. My niece in Va had her senior pics done two years ago and the photographer there created similiar results.... teeth and eyes were the only thing in focus and overly white.

I have mentioned it before but if the images are selling and the customers are happy I see no reason that they should change what they are doing based upon what I am seeing ;) .....

I DON'T WHITEN EYES!! I swear!! Never!

bedojo wrote in post #14214652 (external link)

I'm a masker too.

In case anyone missed it.....here are my EXACT STEPS in video form for the editing I do on photos.....same thing every photo, every time.

Part one: http://www.youtube.com …0fjf2IxNxnTAL6v​5UqP6yT-k= (external link)

Part two: http://www.youtube.com …0fjf2IxNxnTAL6v​5UqP6yT-k= (external link)

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,596 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 05, 2012 13:33 |  #6983

Supersteve911 wrote in post #14215145 (external link)
Here is the one light I tried.
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i805.photobucke​t.com …_Photography/IM​G_0766.jpg (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i805.photobucke​t.com …_Photography/IM​G_0787.jpg (external link)

Steve. You need to separate her from the background. Would mean another light or a reflector. Plus i think you need to stop it down about 1 1/3 stops. There is no contrast with the Lightning at all,,, Its just just flat.

Most portraits,, basic set ups are 3 lights. Not saying you cant do one light shots, but this is not the ideal set up for that look on that type of backdrop you have selected. If im using 1 light, im outside almost every time. Exception would be a beauty dish, but even with a beauty dish, inside,,,,,3 lights for me

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 05, 2012 13:44 |  #6984

<------only uses two lights inside

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

Supersteve911
613 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 05, 2012 14:40 |  #6985

You guys meter all the time or once you have it set up it stay the same?

5D III | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 II 2.8 | 2 430 EX II's | 580 EX II |

CptTripps
567 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2012 15:08 |  #6986

Indoors in a controlled setup I would go manual everything, once it's dialed you just kick back and shoot :). Outdoors, shoot I would still go manual and meter once for each locale.

I have trouble with hair lights so I usually just pop a flash on the background, got a gridded qbox recently that when boomed makes it a lot easier. I also use some foam core board as a reflector, it's amazing how much that can improve things for a couple bucks. I would like to get one of the foldable reflectors with white/silver/gold, a required move if charging (pro look). Don't want to show up with a paper plate flip it, a stofen made out of an old rubbing alcohol bottle and foam core reflectors ;)

60D - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - 50mm 1.8 ImkII - 18-135 IS - 70-200 2.8 mkII - 2x430ex II - 3xFlextt5+AC3 - Einstein 640 w/mc2 - Vagabond Mini

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 05, 2012 15:12 |  #6987

Supersteve911 wrote in post #14215671 (external link)

I have two studio rooms...in my "white" room I shoot at f/8.0, 1/125, ISO 100 I know where my lights are, and I have a certain spot I usually put the client. I adjust height of light up and down according to how the light hits the face. Therefore.....no need for me to meter every time. In my other room, the light placement changes more, and I shoot different apertures, so I meter the lights before shooting.

Side Note: I have Custom Function 1 on my camera set to f/8.0, 1/125, ISO 100 WB set to flash. So when I walk in my studio I turn my dial to C1 and I am ready to rock, One of the best things I have ever done! Saves a lot of time and even saves mistakes!!

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 05, 2012 18:13 |  #6988

Supersteve911 wrote in post #14215671 (external link)

I am not an expert.. but I meter every time I change the lighting. This is because I am using a Key light to the left or right a fill on axis. I meter for a lighting situation where the model is standing and shoot some photos. Then if I want the model in a sitting or laying down on the floor, I adjust the lights & meter again. I also remember to use the photovison target each time I change the light, because I ise that for custom WB on camera and in post.

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,169 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 05, 2012 19:39 |  #6989

Tiffy, when you whiten the eyes do you brighten them as well, or just paint the whites out? I'm still trying to get it right.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 05, 2012 20:01 |  #6990

Chet wrote in post #14217031 (external link)
Tiffy, when you whiten the eyes do you brighten them as well, or just paint the whites out? I'm still trying to get it right.

I think she mentioned many times she doesn't whiten the eyes

sponsored links

2,679,882 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.