Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 03:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is she nuts? Canon G9 better imagine quality than 40D

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 05, 2012 03:58 |  #1

My neighbor has worked part time doing sports team photography in our local area.
I have seen her work and it looks great.

Over the last year, I had many pictures printed and framed from my Western US vacations. I had the pictures done at Ritz Camera and they did come out great.

I have been looking to upgrade my Canon G9 to most probably a 60D (7D still in the running).

She was over and I showed her my framed pictues. Her comment to me was my Ritz Camera printed pictures were better than her 40D landscape pictures. She thought I was nuts in wanting a camera upgrade as she was thoroughly impressed with the quality of my G9 pics.

Every comparison I looked at had either the 60D or the 7D blowing away the G9.

I assume she was just being kind in saying nice words about my pictures.
But her comments raised a reasonable question, should I blow the $1,200 or up for a new 60D or 7D?

I plan to buy this week-end. But her comments raised a little doubt about my purchase.
Is she nuts?

By the way- my Flickr link is below to view some G9 pictures (all landscape).

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/55056358@N04/ (external link)

sponsored links
PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 05, 2012 05:14 |  #2

Some very nice pictures.
It's more the photographer than the equipment that makes a picture.
Look at it this way - if you have a good eye for a picture (and you do seem to have) then you are going to be able to turn out even better stuff with your new equipment than you did before.
BUT - isn't there always a but?
But, remember that you have to learn to use the new equipment so there will be a steep learning curve and a few ups and downs before you are fully proficient. I suspect that you use your G9 almost without thinking about it and are able to concentrate on the image and not the technical aspects of the camera.
Enjoy yourself with your new equipment and take lots of images.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2012 06:52 |  #3

the 60D or (or 7D) will allow yo to use way better glass than the G9.

there is a reason people spend hundreds and thousands on good glass.

maybe you just take better pictures than her :)

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 05, 2012 06:58 |  #4

I think she either likes you, a lot, or is being too nice.

I like my G9, but it is no DSLR.

Thing about the G9 is I can quickly take it anywhere.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 05, 2012 07:37 |  #5

I find the Freudian irony of the thread title to be quite appropriate.

Only someone who knows very little about photography would ever suggest the G9 and the 40D are cameras of similar capability. It is also true, however, that unless the operator of the 40D is a decent photographer who knows how to get the camera's potential to show itself, the G9 will look quite good in comparison.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 05, 2012 07:51 as a reply to  @ rral22's post |  #6

A DSLR will take better pictures, but it needs to be used effectively. Shoved on "green box" (full automatic pilot) they will not be as good as a compact used the same way. That is because compacts do a lot of processing and such like for you, whereas with a DSLR you need to think about what you are doing more, at the point of capture, then spend a little time processing it yourself.

If she bought her 40D, stuck it in green box and just looked at the images straight out of the camera, with no post processing, then it is easy to imagine them coming off poorly to the spiced up images a compact will produce.

However, used well and with proper processing, you should have no problem at all in producing better results with a DSLR.

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,520 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 05, 2012 08:01 |  #7

The ability to change lenses for specific applications will bring a whole new dimension to your photography and give you a whole new set of skills to learn. An upgrade will also get you much better low light performance. That said, I'd still keep the G9. I have mine still, it is a great camera to carry with you all the time and I love the time lapse video it does that most other Canon models do not do.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,272 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 05, 2012 08:43 |  #8

A lovely shot of half dome!

Keep in mind that the G9 being an advanced P&S is designed to deliver really decent images right out of the box with minimal effort on the part of the photographer. Lets face it, daytime well lit shots are really the forte of the G9; the one variable you can control (and should) being composition. The 60D can deliver pictures just as good and now gives you the versatility to edit the pictures when shooting RAW and as others have pointed out you have the versatility of changing lenses.

About two years ago I entered some work in a contest that had as a goal the identification of both digital and film based images. I entered some film images taken with a 35mm Kodak Retina (large C, vintage 1958); admittedly they were printed by a friend with a darkroom to optimize the end result. They were spectacular (got some awards) and very few people thought they were fim based. Does that mean your neighbor would think I was nuts in moving over the years to upscale Canon film, to the "G" series and most recently to the 60D? You grow your equipment as your abilities expand, assuming you have the inclination to work with the digital images.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 05, 2012 08:48 |  #9

for landscapes, she's not completely wrong. Here's the thing, with landscapes you want a lot of things in focus. Using smaller sensors actually helps there because you don't need to stop down to f/16 to get an entire scene in focus. If you DON'T use filters and don't want wider or longer lenses, your G9 does everything you need. You've got a lot of very nice images in your flickr account. What do you feel is holding you back with your G9? If it's lenses, you pretty much have to go to a DSLR to get options there. For me that's the draw to DSLRs or maybe an EVIL system in your situation (Pani GX1 or Oly OMD?). Filters is the other big draw for DSLRs for me. I'm talking GNDs (check the link in my sig) here, and CPs to an extent. You CAN use these with your G9, but the size of everything makes GNDs very hard to use and line up right with smaller cameras. You just can't get a hard enough transition. Also, the G9 won't have quite the DR as a DSLR, which hurts you in landscapes as well

The long and the short of it is a DSLR allows you more options for accessories. If you don't need them you won't notice much difference at all. Check this out:
http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/​kidding.shtml (external link)
G series -vs- medium format in a landscape....

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

h14nha
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 05, 2012 12:33 |  #10

A "G" on a tripod with a shutter release cable will give very good results. No DSLR will make you a better photographer but viewed at 100% the 60d/70d will take sharper pics with a good lens.
A 40d in the wrong hands will get spanked by your G9 being used properly. If your friend is using wrong apertures coupled with camera shake etc she will get badly focused pictures.
Just remember to budget for a good lens with either camera you decide on.......... :)

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 05, 2012 18:08 |  #11

One word: G1X

No doubt that the G9 can still take a great photo, and yours are very impressive. I just found that because I was used to the pixel quality of a larger sensor, I just didn't feel comfortable using a small sensor camera anymore. My compact cameras are now the G1X and a few Micro 4/3 cameras. The quality of the lens and sensor combination in the G1X (external link) in particular is fantastic. It really is time for me to sell off some DSLR gear!

Nic - flickr photostream (external link)
G1X (last Canon standing)

viperbass
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 05, 2012 18:27 |  #12

rral22 wrote in post #14213563 (external link)
I find the Freudian irony of the thread title to be quite appropriate.

Only someone who knows very little about photography would ever suggest the G9 and the 40D are cameras of similar capability. It is also true, however, that unless the operator of the 40D is a decent photographer who knows how to get the camera's potential to show itself, the G9 will look quite good in comparison.

I hope I am a better in photography than my spelling. I was wondering what the Freudian comment was for.

Spell check anyone?

madjack
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 05, 2012 19:07 |  #13

viperbass wrote in post #14216712 (external link)
I hope I am a better in photography than my spelling. I was wondering what the Freudian comment was for.

Spell check anyone?

mostly likely your use of the word imagine instead of image... dang! I just re-read the post..I guess my reading and comprehension skills are worse than your spelling..

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

www.pva.org (external link)

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 05, 2012 19:10 |  #14

I compared my G9 to my 1Ds & 24-70. The same landscape printed to 13" x 19"... RAW capture.

I was SHOCKED at how good the G9 looked. It has a very good lens on it. Non-photographers wouldn't notice a difference in 13" x 19" prints of daylight scenes.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 06, 2012 03:52 |  #15

skid00skid00 wrote in post #14216887 (external link)
I compared my G9 to my 1Ds & 24-70. The same landscape printed to 13" x 19"... RAW capture.

I was SHOCKED at how good the G9 looked. It has a very good lens on it. Non-photographers wouldn't notice a difference in 13" x 19" prints of daylight scenes.

Oh you've done it now. Watch out for the FF buffs! :lol:

@OP:
If you want a DSLR, upgrade. If you don't then don't, its simple. If you want to be able to change lenses and have better ISO performance and shallower DOF, then your only option is DSLR (or mirrorless). If you're happy with the single lens solution then you might look at the G1X, since it does the other two better than your G9.

Don't upgrade just to chase IQ, because you aren't going to see a huge improvement. Unless you pixel peep.

Heck, one of my favourite shots was taken with my s95, not with my DSLRs.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links

3,645 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is she nuts? Canon G9 better imagine quality than 40D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.