Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 00:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

auto ISO yes/no

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 06, 2012 10:45 |  #31

Auto ISO for street photography. Period. No more than 1600. The D7000 is flat out amazing. I just leave my WB to auto as well.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links
BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 06, 2012 11:57 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

I've never used Auto ISO...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,432 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 06, 2012 12:03 |  #33

I'm not a purist but a photographer. :) Sometimes I shoot all manual, sometime Av, sometimes Tv, and *gasp* sometimes I even just put it n the green box. I like the fact that auto ISO is there but in all honesty, I've never used it. Maybe I'll go out for a weekend shoot and with auto ISO set just to see what it does. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 06, 2012 12:03 |  #34

i just used auto iso for the first time a few days ago on a trip. set it to maximum 1600 on my 7d and it was fine. i was using it on aperture priority mode because i was trying to avoid motion blur. its nice but i dont see myself using it very often. it depends on the situation i guess.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 06, 2012 12:14 |  #35

Expo67 wrote in post #14220167 (external link)
It's been said that a poor shot is better than no shot and I agree. Nothing wrong if it's been grain fed if that's all there is.

That depends on what the images are for. If you are covering a story for a newspaper, or a paparazzi catching an A-list celebrity doing something they shouldn't, then yes of course a poor shot is better than no shot. The press need the content of the photo, IQ is of secondary importance.

If you are taking a snapshot of your daughter at her graduation, then IQ is of lesser importance and just getting the shot is the priority. The same would go for anything where you wanted a record shot of a subject, but had no intention of displaying it or using it for anything other than the memory.

If, on the other hand, you are shooting for your own portfolio, or as a hobbyist looking to create great images, then IQ is everything. If the light isn't right or other conditions mean that the shot won't be as good as it can be, why bother taking it? If I am shooting for myself, I want good IQ, if it isn't there because the lighting is wrong, I will wait until the conditions improve or move on to something else. I wouldn't use the shot anyway.

If Tom Reichner, above, doesn't want a shot that has grain in the shadows then that is his standard. Why would he shoot a substandard image, that he will never use, just for the sake of it?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 06, 2012 12:25 |  #36

Well, like you said, it's so largely influenced by the environment of the shoot. If I'm not in control of the lighting, but I still have to provide coverage, then sometimes I have to bump up the ISO to levels that otherwise would not be acceptable. There's grain, but there's also content.

If I'm in control of the lighting, then ISO100 or 200 are all I'll use. But if I'm covering an event, I'll pretty regularly use ISO3200 or even more.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

canadave
187 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 06, 2012 13:24 |  #37

sandpiper wrote in post #14220615 (external link)
If Tom Reichner, above, doesn't want a shot that has grain in the shadows then that is his standard. Why would he shoot a substandard image, that he will never use, just for the sake of it?

See my "logical argument post" on the previous page for the answer ;)
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14220201&po​stcount=30

Canon 60D
- EF-S 18-55mm
ƒ3.5-5.6 IS • Tamron AF 70-300mm ƒ4-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD • Pentax SMC-M 50mm ƒ1.4 (via adapter)

- Kenko Teleplus MC4 DG 2x teleconverter

- Manfrotto 055XPROB • Manfrotto 496RC2

Expo67
336 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 06, 2012 20:51 as a reply to  @ canadave's post |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

I don't care what you are taking a shot of. How in the world is a no shot better than a poor shot?

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,233 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 06, 2012 21:07 |  #39

With my T2i, i don't like the noise in the photos in high iso settings so i limited the top limit to 800. I'm not using auto iso right now. Because i'm still a novice in his learning period, i guess making mistakes is better than reading it somewhere else and applying. But i'll use it this way, max 800, when i begin to use that feature.

I read Bryan Peterson's book and he honestly says he used AV mode in some of his photo descriptions. So it mustn't be that bad. Depending on it i think if you know what you are doing and have an idea about the output, you can use all the shortcuts -auto settings- of your camera.

BTW, i see that a lot of people are proud of using the full manuel mode. I'm using the full manuel mode for the last 4 months and in the last days i tried to use the full auto mode. I must say if there's a person who uses the full auto mode and take good pictures, i have respect to him more than the full manuel users :) Because i realized that taking the shot you want is nearly impossible with full auto :)

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Emergency ­ Exit
223 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 06, 2012 21:33 |  #40

I've never really used auto ISO before. Although I knew that it was there, for some reason I've settled for full manual control. However, if I do need to take a really quick shot (as a planespotter I sometimes see very rare planes flying by) I'll either use Auto ISO or shove it in green box.

Emergency Exit Pictures (external link)
EOS 60D Gripped | EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Speedlite 430EX II
Full Goodies List

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 07, 2012 00:59 |  #41

Robinson Crusoe wrote in post #14223001 (external link)
With my T2i, i don't like the noise in the photos in high iso settings so i limited the top limit to 800. I'm not using auto iso right now. Because i'm still a novice in his learning period, i guess making mistakes is better than reading it somewhere else and applying. But i'll use it this way, max 800, when i begin to use that feature.

I read Bryan Peterson's book and he honestly says he used AV mode in some of his photo descriptions. So it mustn't be that bad. Depending on it i think if you know what you are doing and have an idea about the output, you can use all the shortcuts -auto settings- of your camera.

BTW, i see that a lot of people are proud of using the full manuel mode. I'm using the full manuel mode for the last 4 months and in the last days i tried to use the full auto mode. I must say if there's a person who uses the full auto mode and take good pictures, i have respect to him more than the full manuel users :) Because i realized that taking the shot you want is nearly impossible with full auto :)

I shot all the way up to 3200 ISO with my T1i with little or no noise problems. Seems like the T2i would be at least as good. To arbitrarily stop at 800 would seem to be limiting yourself excessively.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,233 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 07, 2012 02:55 |  #42

Preeb wrote in post #14223936 (external link)
I shot all the way up to 3200 ISO with my T1i with little or no noise problems. Seems like the T2i would be at least as good. To arbitrarily stop at 800 would seem to be limiting yourself excessively.

Maybe preferences, after 1600 the noise is enough to bother me, maybe i'm expecting a miracle :)

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 07, 2012 02:57 |  #43

drmaxx wrote in post #14214503 (external link)
I am surprised how many purist are around here. I would have expected the everybody says: It depends on the conditions.

If I am taking candid shots idoors/no flash allowed with strong changing light conditions (e.g. with windows and moving people), there is just no way to do everything manual. E.g. I usually want >1/100 and a specific dof and then auto iso is just the way to go. Rather a grainy shot then no shot at all. If I have plenty of light or plenty of time then I can set the iso / quality and then there is no need to float the iso.

Conditions change - and then you need to adapt your settings? Or may be I am just too slow ....

Here's the thing...Sometimes I love a low ISO. Sometimes I really WANT a picture to be really high ISO with a hell of a lot of noise.

As you say, it depends on the situation.

Regardless, I don't want my camera making that decision for me. I typically go with manual control. This isn't bout me having some issue against auto-ISO in terms of thinking that it's "wrong". I just normally think about ISO to some degree when making pictures. There are acceptable parameters for the ISO that I want for a given shot, and then there are the cases where idon't care and I just set it to auto.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 07, 2012 03:34 |  #44

I would use it more (more than the twice I have) if it worked better on my Camera OR had a limiter so I can set the max ISO. All this purist talk is funny. If you had a tool that does something that makes your process easier (and hopefully better) Why wouldn't you use it? I know the answer "ultimate control". but still....

I agree that the technology of auto iso needs improvement...

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 07, 2012 06:04 |  #45

Kronie wrote in post #14224252 (external link)
[...] had a limiter so I can set the max ISO.

I am surprised that the 5D Mk II does not have an iso limiter like my 60D. You might want to upgrade:lol:.

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

6,405 views & 0 likes for this thread
auto ISO yes/no
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.