Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 Apr 2012 (Monday) 13:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Senior Pictures

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 03, 2012 19:25 |  #16

the question if she paid was just a first question, not my comment :)
now that she is your sister, and didn't pay for these i will comment :)

as others have said she is not properly exposed.

1st, racoon eyes, you solved the problem without knowing you did in the second picture. position her head so light gets into her eye sockets.
this could be done many ways. and cheap you don't need a 400$ 580exII fill flash to get it working :)

1. Reflectors, great for blasting fill light into the eyes, 15$ of amazon, forum search or google search how to use them.
2. get her out of direct sun,
you can try this put her in the shadows of a tree or something so the light is more diffused and not hard light,
use a reflector with the black side facing her above her head, what this does is cuts the light off from going directly down, this forces light to only come in from in-front or the sides. again filling in the eyes :)

3. buy a flash. straight flash looks poopie so get an off camera flash with a umbrella, shoot through works great :) (expensive method)

on the second image, i feel your angle down on her is too extreme, makes it so she looks like a child looking up at the viewer.

the shooting down method is great, fills in the eyes, nice simple background (especially with a bokeh monster lens), and slimming effect, but you do not want to extreme of an angle otherwise it makes the subject seem inferior (right word slips my mind at the moment), kind of like she is looking up at the viewer, also she looks worried in the image.

Before going out and buying this lens that camera that flash do your self a favor.
and learn to see light, try putting your subject in shade, try using a $15 5-in-1 reflector to modify the light. :)

bets of luck to you :)

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

sponsored links
ChristenGayle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 05, 2012 16:54 |  #17

I edited the first picture and found a different one from the shoot that looks a lot better.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Like my Facebook, please. :) (external link) My Website (external link)
"You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares life with you. The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." Dorothea Lange

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 05, 2012 22:45 |  #18

I'm not trying to hate. But there isn't really a point to try to save the first image, now it just looks like she has a black eye.
Honestly don't waste your time and go shoot again with what people said in this thread.

The new one is better but the composition is not there. Also there is a tree branch growing out of her chest.

I'm trying to be honest with you, and please don't take this the wrong way.
You have 140 likes on Facebook, and running 20% off promos, you are not at the level where people should pay for this service.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

Instead of trying to make a business, please learn and develop your skills and photographers eye, learn how light will change the subject.

Shoot for the fun of it, shoot cuz you love it, if you are shooting to try to make money you are dong it wrong.

I love being paid, but please develop your skill before opening a business.
Im not trying to hate on you, not trying to be mean, just suggesting you stop worrying about getting clients and doing senior portraits and spend time developing your skills on friends family

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 05, 2012 23:00 |  #19

Book for you:

The Photographer's Vision -- Michael Freeman

The last shots, try this:
1. Shoot a full stop more; your goal is to expose the face; avoid a bright background no light on face
2. Correct your white balance
3. Back off your saturation; back off your contrast
4. Try fill light in post or, better yet, flash fill in the field, or a reflector

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 06, 2012 06:54 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #20

http://www.christengay​lephotography.blogspot​.com/ (external link) (Second image down)

Agree with the don't charge for photography, the above image from your home page invokes many thoughts to me, none very flattering.

Most the rest of your work on there is just as poor IMO.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'm way ahead of you in terms of lighting and compostion and even I know not to charge yet.

toastyphoto
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 06, 2012 07:38 |  #21

ChristenGayle wrote in post #14197222 (external link)
This is the first shoot I've done in a while, and with a new camera. I haven't edited the pictures yet, but I would love to hear some critiques. Thanks!

If you shoot RAW, while doing your RAW file conversion, try taking down the "Blacks" slider a bit. They're too prominent which makes your images look muddy. Your exposure is in the ballpark but I would bring it up maybe about +0.25 to +0.5

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

ChristenGayle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 06, 2012 12:43 |  #22

tmoore323 wrote in post #14219231 (external link)
http://www.christengay​lephotography.blogspot​.com/ (external link) (Second image down)

Agree with the don't charge for photography, the above image from your home page invokes many thoughts to me, none very flattering.

Most the rest of your work on there is just as poor IMO.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'm way ahead of you in terms of lighting and compostion and even I know not to charge yet.

That second image is what the client wanted, actually. I also don't think it's very flattering, but people pay for what they want, not for the most technically correct photos.

"You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares life with you. The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." Dorothea Lange

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 06, 2012 14:08 |  #23

ChristenGayle wrote in post #14220765 (external link)
That second image is what the client wanted, actually. I also don't think it's very flattering, but people pay for what they want, not for the most technically correct photos.

If that is so, I would have given it to them, but not used it as a show piece on my website...

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 06, 2012 14:55 |  #24

I agree give the client what they want.
but what do you want?

Honestly anyone with a dslr can go out on auto mode take photos and give the client what they want for 50 bucks.
The clients don't know what is good and what is not good, or if they do they relise what is good starts at a 200 sitting fee and then prints start at 40 dollars = lots of $$

you will have a hard time running a successful business doing $50 sessions, and putting out mediocre work. Once you do get the skills down, and are making great images, those mediocre images will comeback to bite you in the butt.

I want to see you succeed so please dont take this as me being a meany.

Go ready about photography and practice learn to see and control the light, and you wont need to be running specials, offering 50 dollars for a portrait session and giving away the images to get clients.
not to say you wont need to market, oh you will, but they will see how great your images are, not oh just another budget craigslist photographer.

best of wishes to you :)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 06, 2012 20:29 |  #25

Your photos seem to have a lot of contrast. A bright sky in the background and no fill-light from the camera. This makes for dark shadows and over exposed highlights. Try getting a scene where there is no sky or direct sunlight in the photo. I'm guessing you're shooting JPG and your contrast setting may be too high.

ChristenGayle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 07, 2012 11:01 |  #26

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14222832 (external link)
Your photos seem to have a lot of contrast. A bright sky in the background and no fill-light from the camera. This makes for dark shadows and over exposed highlights. Try getting a scene where there is no sky or direct sunlight in the photo. I'm guessing you're shooting JPG and your contrast setting may be too high.

When you mentioned this, it really got me thinking. I don't typically touch contrast or saturation much, if at all, in pp. I like the lighting and such to be pretty natural. And I'd noticed lately my shots had seemed different but I couldn't put my finger on why. I checked the settings and the contrast and saturation were turned all the way up. My fiance bought me the camera and thinks it's his too, so he must've gone in there and changed the settings for one of his 'experiments' that he loves to do. I have no idea how long it's been this way, either. There's a good chance all of my shots for the past month have been like this. You can't really tell in the pictures on the camera screen, just when you load them onto the computer. That is extremely aggravating, but thanks for mentioning it.

As far as those of you who think I should not be offering my services, that is your opinion. A lot of the photos on my site were taken with a very basic film camera and were taken for free. I don't put all of the greatest shots ever on my site because I am not trying to defraud people into thinking they're going to get perfect shots. I don't take perfect shots at every shoot. I know I am a beginner, hence the low prices and discounts, so I can build my portfolio. The only reason I am offering my services at a price right now, is because I got laid off from my job and, as some of you may know, it is not a cakewalk to get a new one these days, especially above minimum wage. So in the meantime, yes I am putting my business out there, but I am in no way defrauding people or trying to scam them. They can look at my site and see, yes, I shoot manually and can make pictures look way better than they can. Yes, I am affordable for people who can not afford a more experienced photographer. So, while you are entitled to your opinion, there are plenty of consumers out there who would never ever pay the price you would ask for photography, but would still like pictures other than snapshots. That is where I am filling in the gap, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 07, 2012 15:55 as a reply to  @ ChristenGayle's post |  #27

Yup, until you get sued :) Make sure you put all that in the contract (I'm mediocre, and not the best so on and so on) that I'm assuming your having them sign with your LLC (at least) so if they do sue at least they can for the most part only sue the LLC...

BTW, I hope that is 15 min per photo editing, not the whole batch :)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 07, 2012 18:36 |  #28

OMG, nobody sues for small change.

And, even if they do, and win, they can't go through any action to force payment anyway.

Quick, sure and proper justice is a TV fantasy.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

toastyphoto
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 07, 2012 23:07 |  #29

S.Horton wrote in post #14227144 (external link)
OMG, nobody sues for small change.

And, even if they do, and win, they can't go through any action to force payment anyway.

Quick, sure and proper justice is a TV fantasy.

Some people who have nothing better to do sue to make your life hell though.

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

NavyShrink
259 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 08, 2012 01:25 |  #30

ChristenGayle wrote in post #14202532 (external link)
About the raccoon eyes, yes, I agree, but I wasn't sure how to get rid of those without a harsh flash. I used the flash on a few poses, but her face was completely washed out/over exposed. If you look in the second picture, you'll notice that her dress is over exposed in a few places, but had I changed the exposure, she would have been too dark herself.

Flash doesn't have to be harsh. You can dial in FEC (flash exposure compensation) to tone down (or up!) your flash output. Of course, this often needs some balancing with your overall EC. It takes time to learn to balance flash and ambient light (not just quantity, but also qualities like color temp, direction, harshness/softness). You can modify your flash with diffusers, and of course have the option to get your flash off-camera, too.

5DII x2 | 7D | 17-40L | 35L | Σ 50 | 85L | 135L | 70-200L IS II | Fuji X100

sponsored links

3,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
Senior Pictures
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.