Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Apr 2012 (Friday) 08:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

radio popper JrX problemo

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 06, 2012 08:33 |  #1

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out here because I am stumped, sorry this is long winded.

first of all, I love the RP JrX system, it works perfectly to control strobes/flashes off-camera and I've been very happy with them. especially with the alien bees and ettl flashes with the rpcube.

But i'm having a problem recently when i have a 580exII in the hotshoe of a camera, and i've tethered a JrX transmitter with a cord from the pc port of the camera (or 580, i've tried with it connected to both).

for events, I like to set up my alien bees, off camera flashes, around the room. either to increase the ambient light as I want, or to add rim light, directional light, etc.
these all get fired by the JrX transmitter that is velcroed to the side of flash or is in the hotshoe on the camera. and this works great for the most part.

BUT, as soon as I turn the on-camera 580exII on (in ettl) and try to use my setup, the ocf fire, but definitely do not add to the exposure. they are either firing early or late or something.

this only happens when the on-camera flash is one of my 580exII's, and when they are in ettl. if it's in manual, everything works fine, but that's not what i want to do. if the flash on my camera is a 430exII the strobes all fire fine and add to the exposure just like a i like, even if it is in ettl.

So, i obviously would like this to work! it'd be nice to have a 580 on my camera in ettl as fill light, (the 430's are not ideal) while the jrx is properly firing my ocf's .

i've tried this with different cords, batteries, bodies, lenses, flashes, etc.
I have two transmitters, and they both behave identically, they are set up the same, just to different groups (maybe there some function there i have to change?)
i've cleared all custom functions on the flashes thinking there might have been something there, but i must be missing something!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links
dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 06, 2012 08:51 |  #2

Have you disabled the optical triggers on your AB's? Sounds like they are tripping from the eTTL metering flash and firing too early.
I am pretty sure that the PC port on the 580exII is an input only. You cannot connect another device to it and expect it to trigger.

Take it one step at a time. Turn off the 580 on camera and make sure the RP triggers the bees and they are in sync with the shutter. If so then add the 580.

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 06, 2012 09:17 |  #3

dedsen wrote in post #14219678 (external link)
Have you disabled the optical triggers on your AB's? Sounds like they are tripping from the eTTL metering flash and firing too early.

i think i have, i've plugged a cord into the slave port, so that should disable it. and it works fine with the 430exII in ettl on camera :(

I am pretty sure that the PC port on the 580exII is an input only. You cannot connect another device to it and expect it to trigger.

interesting. i thought people did this all the time. like i've said though, i've tried it hooked to the pc port on camera too. this is actually how i usually do it.

Take it one step at a time. Turn off the 580 on camera and make sure the RP triggers the bees and they are in sync with the shutter. If so then add the 580.

i have done this, with the on camera 580ex off (or on manual) everything works textbook. as soon as i try to use a 580 in ettl it goes to hell. haha

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 06, 2012 15:52 |  #4

i just tried a bunch more testing and this time I tried my 550ex in the hotshoe and it did not cause the same problem that the 580exII(s) are causing.

and the off camera flashes and strobes are definitely going off early. i can see them go off through the viewfinder just before the mirror goes up :(

so it's the 580exII(s). i have two of them and they are both doing it. i have a third one (rental) coming this week too that i'm going to try too. but id doesn't seem to be the radio poppers, camera, lenses, anything like that, it's something that the 580exII is causing in ettl

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 07, 2012 15:54 |  #5

A while back I bought a newly released "Pass through ETTL w/1/8 sync plug" cord from Paramount Cords to where I could use an "on camera" flash and sync my JRX transmitter via the cords 1/8 sync plug. It didn't work, it makes my flashes go crazy. I was also getting the out of sync firing of my flashes like you are describing. I removed the cord and remounted the 580EX II directly to the hot shoe and used a sync cord form the cameras sync port to the JRX transmitter (it sounds like this is the setup you are using). I have not tried using this setup with any of my PCB strobes yet but with Speedlites attached to RP cubes/JRX Studio receivers it works and syncs fine when using the "on camera" 580EX II in either ETTL or Manual. I have also tested this setup by adding a PX transmitter to the 580EX II as a Master with no issues (just be sure to set the PX and JRX transmitters to different channels and the JRX Studio or PX receivers to the approriate channel of the transmitter they are going to use). I suspected that in my first attempt with the Paramount cord that perhaps I had a defective cord but I have recently bought a Phottix "off shoe ETTL pass through" cord and it behaves the same making my flashes go crazy when the JRX transmitter is attached.

Rand

Gear

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 07, 2012 19:51 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #6

thanks so much for your post! very helpful.
so it definitely sounds like what i want to do is possible with my equipment,
it could be a setting that is out of whack, a crappy cord, or something.
since it's just a problem with a 580exII in ettl on in the hot shoe, it makes me think it's a setting, but i can't figure it out.

it's funny you mention the craziness you got with your paramount cord, i have two pc sync cords that i've used, and all of a sudden one i started having the same problems. crazy flashing. took me forever to figured out that it was one of my cords. now that that is out of the equation, no more of that problem.

i'm going to try an couple things, i've ordered a screwlock sync cable from flash zebra, and I'm going to try some different channels to see if that will make a difference (doubt that would, but it's worth a shot).

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 08, 2012 07:39 as a reply to  @ bigarchi's post |  #7

You wouldn't be using the auto sensor on the 580exII instead of ETTL metering by any chance?

Just a thought because the 430 and 550 don't have the auto sensor and that would be affected by other lights firing in the image (unlike ETTL).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 08, 2012 08:08 |  #8

Another for sure test is to use FEL, which will lock the flash exposure. The non-ETTL lights will go off twice, just make sure you wait long enough between the lock and then the shutter release for the remote lights to recharge.

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 08, 2012 18:25 |  #9

elv wrote in post #14229392 (external link)
You wouldn't be using the auto sensor on the 580exII instead of ETTL metering by any chance?

Just a thought because the 430 and 550 don't have the auto sensor and that would be affected by other lights firing in the image (unlike ETTL).

i will double check, but i'm pretty sure i had em on ettl and not auto.

MrScott wrote in post #14229490 (external link)
Another for sure test is to use FEL, which will lock the flash exposure. The non-ETTL lights will go off twice, just make sure you wait long enough between the lock and then the shutter release for the remote lights to recharge.

thanks, i'll give that a shot and see what happens :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links

1,782 views & 0 likes for this thread
radio popper JrX problemo
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.