Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 16:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

eq mount/telescope/atrophotos

togish1
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2007

Apr 04, 2012 16:22 |  #1

hey everyone, im not new to taking pics of the sky...but i want to get better shots of the milky way next month when i make my trip out to cherry springs PA. I can buy a celestron atrotrack 114 for under $100 locally...looks brand new...comes with eq mount. If i baught this, i would want to mount my camera onto it for wide angle shots of the milky way and purchase the drive for it for auto tracking. Would you guys reccomend this? im only looking to get 1 minute exposures....

BUT...

I also have a meade etx-70 with autostar....i dont know how out of whack the motor is on it, but it still works...just need a replacement battery pack for it. i could piggy back my camera onto it, but i would have to make some sort of piggyback system to it, but i wont be able to polar align it unless i buy a tripod to do so with, which will cost more than buying that telescope above....

once again, i just want to have some amazing shots of the milky way

t5i with kit lens, Canon Nifty Fifty, Sigma 530 super, Nikon SB-24(2), Canon 40mm f2.8, Canon 28-135 IS, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f2.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/togish1/ (external link)
www.tolgacetinphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
togish1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 04, 2012 19:10 |  #2

so im going to pick this up and piggy back...$90

http://longisland.crai​gslist.org/for/2880535​255.html (external link)

t5i with kit lens, Canon Nifty Fifty, Sigma 530 super, Nikon SB-24(2), Canon 40mm f2.8, Canon 28-135 IS, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f2.8

edd1e22
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 04, 2012 19:55 |  #3

I don't think that thing tracks does it? I'm debating between a Celestron CG-5 and a Astrotrac myself.

togish1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 04, 2012 22:36 |  #4

Yeah the Meade one I posted last about does... Ra drive. It's an older model.

ohata0
561 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 05, 2012 03:51 |  #5

looks like a small telescope...I'd worry about how much weight the mount can handle. Instead of piggybacking, maybe you should consider buying a dovetail mount adapter or something so you can put your camera directly on the mount (especially if you find that the mount's weight capabilities isn't so great).

togish1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 05, 2012 08:14 |  #6

Like I said... I don't care about the actual telescope. I just want to piggyback it for wide angle shots. I might not even use the telescope... If I can mount the camera onto the the eq mount somehow, I'll do that

togish1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 05, 2012 17:37 |  #7

okay so i picked this up and so far i love it...

question though.

if i did want to start doing pictures through the telescope itself, i know i need the adaptors....but how far can i actually get with the camera attached to the scope? like magnification wise? its 114mm...so that would be my focal length?

ohata0
561 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 05, 2012 22:44 |  #8

I think 114mm was referring to the aperture...i could be wrong though. They took down the listing, so I don't know what it says on the box, but it should say somewhere what the focal length is...I think probably it would be at least 400mm. Wouldn't be much of a telescope if it was smaller than that.

togish1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 05, 2012 23:06 |  #9

hmm...ill get the specs right now....but i got it polar aligned and able to track! it was much easier than i thought after watching a few youtube videos. Took me a bit to get it to track right though....i forgot to put in the extra battery pack....whoops lol

okay, so its 910mm f8....so what would that be if i mounted the camera directly onto it with the t mount?

ohata0
561 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 06, 2012 06:09 |  #10

think of it as a telephoto lens...it'll still be 910mm f/8 when you put the camera on it...assuming you hook it up to the telescope directly, w/out the eyepieces or any barlows. Think of a barlow like a tele-extender...same thing.

make sure you can hook it up directly to the telescope though...some types of telescopes (mostly reflectors i think) have trouble achieving focus because the focuser is too large (the distance between the camera and the mirror in the scope is too long). There are options if you can't focus (replacing the focuser and maybe using zero profile adapters,or using a barlow (but it increases the focal length a bit...maybe more than would be useful). It might be a bit expensive though. Try a google search and see if your model has any issues focusing with a dslr.

togish1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 06, 2012 08:07 |  #11

The. Manual says I need a 2x Barlow lens and a t mount... It came with a. 3x Barlow, I'm sure it was purchased by the previous owner as its not marked as Meade. Would I only have to get the t mount for that? Or should I buy the actual Meade 2x Barlow first?

ohata0
561 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 06, 2012 15:56 |  #12

hmm...if you're using the barlow I think you may have trouble taking pictures of stuff that's not planets. It'll be f/16 and f/24 (using the 2x and 3x barlows I think) and very long focal lengths (1820mm and 2730mm). The problem would mostly be the very small aperture (and using the barlow will probably reduce image quality, like any tele-extender). You might be able to actually take pictures of DSOs with a 2x barlow, but it'd depend on the mount and how accurate tracking is. I think most people who track at that long a focal length tend to autoguide as well, so that means more stuff (weight) on the telescope.

You can use any barlow (assuming the barlow will accept 1.25" eyepieces, and not anything smaller). Eyepieces nowdays come in 2 sizes, 1.25" and 2". There was a smaller size, but that's not really used anymore.

I would suggest buying a t-mount adapter and trying it out w/ what you already have. No sense in buying the 2x barlow and finding out it doesn't work for some reason. Those barlows can be quite expensive (generally, expensive = quality optics, but not all the time).

I would consider using your regular lenses for widefield astrophotography (nifty 50 and the sigma).

togish1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 06, 2012 16:31 |  #13

yeah...i have the tokina 11-16mm 2.8, so i plan on using that a lot when piggybacked...i just have to make a mount of some sort to mount it either on the scope itself or on the eq mount....any suggestions?

ohata0
561 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 07, 2012 16:46 |  #14

i'm not sure about meade, but orion uses the dovetail mount...you can buy one specifically for the camera (screws into the tripod hole). Meade may have, or use something similar. Not sure if you can buy the orion version though.

If you are going to piggyback, you can buy rings that go on your scope, which will also attach to the camera. I think you'd have to buy rings that are specifically made for your scope (diameter). Don't know too much about the rings though...never really looked them up.

hopefully someone else who has experience w/ that sort of thing can give more suggestions.

sponsored links

1,859 views & 0 likes for this thread
eq mount/telescope/atrophotos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.