Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Apr 2012 (Friday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I am amazed at the camera gear hardcore

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 06, 2012 23:51 |  #16

mclldavidson wrote in post #14223261 (external link)
I have noticed this trend on a few pc sites I am on as well...

The urge to have the latest and great despite the marginal increase in fill in the blank. I think some people get way too caught up and forget about just shooting. I see people dumping these awesome bodies and lenses for the next release and would hate to be in that expensive rat race lol

You make a good point. I bowed out of the "upgrade" race this year after careful observation. I haven't even upgraded Lightroom.

There's no doubt a serious, obsessive shopper mentality exists all across the internet now, fueled by all these ridiculous coupon sites and rebater sites. There's a lot of psychology to disseminate here. Everyone gets caught up in it at varying levels (including yours truly). But it's definitely not a hobby. It's just blind consumerism and a little bit sad. Like watching too much TV and letting your life slip by....

Oh wow, I can save four dollars by signing up to this site, and then save fifteen dollars by returning what I just bought to the post office after procuring a shipping box, and buying it from somewhere else? Yeah, you know there's a problem when it starts getting to that. How valuable is your time? I guess not at all.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

sponsored links
chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 06, 2012 23:52 |  #17

fotoworx wrote in post #14223290 (external link)
You don't have to be if you don't want to be, but if people want to be, good luck to them as well.

It's a hobby for a lot of people, I don't think it matters how anyone enjoys their hobby.

If people work hard, have the funds and want to own the latest it's not hurting anyone and it's making the used market fantastic for those who don't have as much of a disposable income.

I agree with you 100% Jim. But the question here is not are they able to, its more of a, does it make sense to do so..

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

mesakid
364 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 07, 2012 00:07 |  #18

We need folks to adopt new and higher end technology. It helps drop the price and push "innovation." Well, for camera bodies you see some price drop.

I know people are buying gear they don't really need. I do it too. But I always make the effort to use the tools I buy. It's all part of the hobbyist/enthusiast with camera gear.

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A9|A7RIII|A6500|A6400|​A6300|A6000

Bad ­ Habit
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 07, 2012 00:11 |  #19

pbelarge wrote in post #14223659 (external link)
Highly qualified race drivers are driving the latest and greatest in every race....because they can. ;)

and they typically don't own and are paid to drive the latest and greatest -lucky bastards

JR / flickr (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2012 00:12 |  #20

chomish wrote in post #14223683 (external link)
This is an excellent point and one i think of often. Most folks out there who up grade are playing the exact game companies are hoping you to play.

But so? A lot of people get a lot of satisfaction from using high end gear. There happy that these companies bring out updated generations....hell a lot of people wish there WASN'T 3.5 year gaps between the latest model!!

Again, if you can afford it and what the latest and greatest...so what?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2012 00:18 |  #21

chomish wrote in post #14223694 (external link)
I agree with you 100% Jim. But the question here is not are they able to, its more of a, does it make sense to do so..

We need beta testers.....look at the Titanic !!!

;)

Cheers,
Bear Dale

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 07, 2012 00:21 |  #22

NEWSFLASH: People with disposable income spending it on things!

In other news, water is wet, and grass is green. More at 11.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 07, 2012 00:27 |  #23

mclldavidson wrote in post #14223261 (external link)
I have noticed this trend on a few pc sites I am on as well...

The urge to have the latest and great despite the marginal increase in fill in the blank. I think some people get way too caught up and forget about just shooting. I see people dumping these awesome bodies and lenses for the next release and would hate to be in that expensive rat race lol

Just remember, all the money here is just pennies compared to the high end car modifications(none of that Honda stuff guys, I'm talking where M3's are blown and have 500HP at the rears....before the V8 was introduced)

Or the high end audiophile market. Where a set of speakers can humble a new 911 turbo...

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

whoty
Goldmember
2,073 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 07, 2012 00:31 |  #24

jrmy wrote in post #14223416 (external link)
Some people are into photography, some people are into cameras.

True that.

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 07, 2012 00:35 |  #25

pyrojim wrote in post #14223838 (external link)
Just remember, all the money here is just pennies compared to the high end car modifications(none of that Honda stuff guys, I'm talking where M3's are blown and have 500HP at the rears....before the V8 was introduced)

Or the high end audiophile market. Where a set of speakers can humble a new 911 turbo...

True. How many people buy more house than they really "need"? ;)

Kel
Gear

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2012 00:49 |  #26

Boats, now THERE is an expensive hobby. I don't even want to think how many wheelbarrows of $$$ I've dumped off the end of the pier into the bottomless hole thats been a lot of boats that I've owned!

Cheers,
Bear Dale

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 07, 2012 00:53 |  #27

Everyone's got to run their own race. We decided long ago that we were going to make this hobby pay for itself, which meant no buying gear unless we were going to use it (in our case, for weddings).

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 07, 2012 01:00 |  #28

fotoworx wrote in post #14223911 (external link)
Boats, now THERE is an expensive hobby. I don't even want to think how many wheelbarrows of $$$ I've dumped off the end of the pier into the bottomless hole thats been a lot of boats that I've owned!

I won't even throw you a lifejacket on that one. Haha.

What kind of boating do you do?

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 07, 2012 03:42 |  #29

The audiofool market is a tricky simile , EG. interconnects for $1000's or "directional" firewire cables !

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 07, 2012 03:51 |  #30

Foggiest wrote in post #14224265 (external link)
The audiofool market is a tricky simile , EG. interconnects for $1000's or "directional" firewire cables !

I'm just talking speakers. Absurdly built and sinfully powerful. $50,000 can buy you speakers if you are on a tight budget "up there." some of the really radical stuff adds a "1" in front of that number!!!

Kind of like the 1D series. They are just good!

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

sponsored links

7,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
I am amazed at the camera gear hardcore
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.