Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A ruptured appendix is no fun

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,547 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 07, 2012 10:59 |  #1

Just a note to my POTN friends. Just as I was going to bed Thursday nite I had a sharp pain in the lower right quadrant of my pelvic region. Definitely not good. I had a neighbour drive in to the hospital in the morning (Good Friday, so you know how many staff were on duty. After a 4-hour wait and several tests incliuding xrays and CAT scan they decided it was indeed my appendix and they called in a surgeon who removed it that same evening. The pain both before and after the procedure deserves elaborate description but I'll spare you the details. I cannot even sit up by myself. Just now the surgeon visited and told me "the rest of the story". The appendix had ruptured, and as a result there is peritonitis and I'll be here for awhile. So in case u had not noticed me missing yet, I am missing and will be for a bit. On a side note, I must say that demerol is a wonderful thing ;)

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

sponsored links
CDMOOSE
Cream of the Crop
9,893 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2009

Apr 07, 2012 11:25 |  #2

I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances, Ian. If it's any comfort, I can relate. I had mine out in 11th grade and it was close to rupturing. The day before I went in to the hospital was not fun and I don't think Demerol had been invented yet.

Get better my friend; there are birds out there that need photographing.
Al

Al
Canon 7D II, 5D III, 7D, 500mm/f4L II, 1.4X TC III, 24-70mm/f2.8L, 70-200/f4L IS

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 07, 2012 11:28 |  #3

Wholey cow Ian, that's awful. Sorry to hear this. It sounds like you're in good hands and on the mend now. Rest up and get well soon, please let us know your progress. Soon you'll be back out shooting, hang in there.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,505 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2012 11:51 |  #4

Ugh...sorry to hear that, Ian! :( Focus on getting well, and our thoughts will be with you. My lady had her appendix go 2 years ago, at Christmas, so I remember all too well what she dealt with.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,075 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 07, 2012 13:55 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #5

Get well soon. Having just gone through the exact same thing about 1 1/2 months ago I know how you're feeling. Mine burst on the operating table...40 minute surgery turned into 2 hours even though I didn't realize this until I was in my room recovering. White blood count was "off the charts" as they explained to me after surgery but I was home 3 1/2 days after they cut me open.

Drink lots of fluid, eat lots of yogurt (replaces the good bacteria the antibiotics gets rid of) and just rest.

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

txcanon
Goldmember
3,480 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 07, 2012 14:40 |  #6

Get well soon Ian. Good thing it only happens once. :D I had my appendix taken out a little over a year ago. In my case my appendix was still only inflamed and had not ruptured yet but it wasn't fun at all. I had to wait until the next day for a CT scan and I was in surgery a few hours after diagnosis. I was let out the next day.

Brad
bradfieldsphotography.​com (external link)

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 07, 2012 15:00 |  #7

Sorry to hear Ian , get well soon .

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,547 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 07, 2012 16:07 as a reply to  @ Foggiest's post |  #8

Thanks for thw wishes folks. Duane, my story is almost identical to yours invluding the white cell count. Still feel awful. The doc says next Wednesday at the earliest due to the peitonitis. Ok back to sleep.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 07, 2012 16:19 |  #9

Had mine out when I was about 8 I think? Had to stay about a month in the hospital, wasn't fun near the end, was so sick of staying indoors. But we got chocolate milk every night! :D

Good luck and be back soon!

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 07, 2012 16:32 |  #10

had an apendectomy before my appendix was just about to rupture. the pain was a b*tch. sorry about your predicament. get well soon.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,075 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 07, 2012 18:01 |  #11

Wallace River wrote in post #14226542 (external link)
Thanks for thw wishes folks. Duane, my story is almost identical to yours invluding the white cell count. Still feel awful. The doc says next Wednesday at the earliest due to the peitonitis. Ok back to sleep.

I pushed myself to get better (I'm very stubborn and hate hospitals) and truthfully I should have stayed another day or two because I wasn't feeling very well up until that Saturday after I was released. I almost checked myself back in but Saturday night I got my appetite back and being able to eat real food helped a lot I think. Sunday morning I was out visiting the Eagles nest.

Get plenty of rest...it's the best thing for you right now.

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

Shar824
Cream of the Crop
11,948 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 07, 2012 22:03 |  #12

Ian, so sorry to hear this, wishing you a quick and speedy recovery........hospit​als are my least favorite place to be.

Sharon

"If you want to see birds, you must have birds in your heart." -- John Burroughs

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 08, 2012 00:01 |  #13

I'm also in the club. Had mine out when I was a wee little winky. Nice big scar too, although these days it's all keyhole so there scar you have will be nothing. Welcome to the club! The pain is a ****, isn't it?

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 08, 2012 02:11 |  #14

I also had mine taken out after it ruptured when I was 16. After 3 days I discharged myself and walked home (no money on me when I went in)
I was told that appendicitis is the nearest thing to child birth (pain wise). very happy that I am a guy or the family tree would have come to a dead end with me.

Grizz
Cream of the Crop
5,496 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 08, 2012 07:59 |  #15

Ian, sorry to hear about your misfortune! But I'm glad you caught it and are on the mend. Get well and rest the birds, and we, will be waiting for your return to the field! Heal well, fast and comfortably. :)

Craig * Canon 7D Mark II * 60D * 10D * Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD * EF 400 5.6L USM * EF 17-40 4.0L USM * EF 70-210 4.0 * EF 28 2.8 * EF 50 1.8 MK1*Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
A ruptured appendix is no fun
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.