Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 08:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What program for Timelapse video

D ­ 550D
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 07, 2012 08:48 |  #1

I have shot some thousand pictures for a timelapse video. I've batch processed them in PS to mach the 16.9 aspect ratio and now I would like to make a video out of them.

What software should I use to get this done?

http://domenulbl.blogs​pot.com/ (external link)
550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|

sponsored links
Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 07, 2012 09:01 |  #2

What other programs do you have available to you? There are a lot of options.

I use Lightroom and http://lrtimelapse.com​/ (external link).

Edit: Since you are already using photoshop, just create an image sequence.
http://wsa.wikidot.com …eo:photoshopima​gesequence (external link)

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

D ­ 550D
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 07, 2012 10:16 |  #3

Wow, I didn't know you can do timelapse in LR. That will speed up my workflow! Thanks!

550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 07, 2012 11:07 |  #4

You could make a timelapse in LR without ever leaving Lightroom, but...

Using something like LRTimeslapse will add additional possibilities.

Also, not sure if you have any other Adobe products, but why did you crop the photos before you made the timelapse video? My suggestion would be to create the image sequence, then import into Premiere or AE, and add the 16:9 crop there. This would also allow you to create zooms, pans, tilts, in post. In full HD, you are only exporting the video at 1920x1080, so if you are shooting in Raw, there are a lot of additional pixels to play with.

Go to the forums at timelapse.org. Goos Luck.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

GordonSBuck
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 07, 2012 11:08 |  #5

QuickTime Pro will make a time lapse from individual shots.

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 07, 2012 11:12 |  #6

If you only use Lightroom you will be very limited in how good you can make the timelapse look. After Effects has been the best option so far for high end timelapse work.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 07, 2012 12:36 |  #7

call me crazy (And El Cheapo) but I use Windows Live Movie Maker (Until I can figure out Adobe Premier Elements)

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

D ­ 550D
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 07, 2012 14:32 |  #8

Heath wrote in post #14225393 (external link)
You could make a timelapse in LR without ever leaving Lightroom, but...

Using something like LRTimeslapse will add additional possibilities.

Also, not sure if you have any other Adobe products, but why did you crop the photos before you made the timelapse video? My suggestion would be to create the image sequence, then import into Premiere or AE, and add the 16:9 crop there. This would also allow you to create zooms, pans, tilts, in post. In full HD, you are only exporting the video at 1920x1080, so if you are shooting in Raw, there are a lot of additional pixels to play with.

Go to the forums at timelapse.org. Goos Luck.

Actually, I didn't crop them. I wanted to keep everything visible, so I added black borders to left and right.

D ­ 550D
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 07, 2012 14:32 |  #9

And I shoot small JPEG to save space and time

drvideo
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 07, 2012 17:39 as a reply to  @ D 550D's post |  #10

Add my vote for AE, if you have it. There is so much more you can do to achieve the "professional" finish to your product.

60D/Tam 17-50 f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD/Tam 70-200 f2.8 Di LD/Tam 60 F2 Macro/Tok 11-16 f2.8
Sunpak Auto544/Sekonic L758CINE

BoysClub
30 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 07, 2012 18:51 |  #11

I prefer QT Pro.

wraptor
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 08, 2012 23:49 |  #12

virtualdub will also work

Thesai
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2012

May 18, 2012 20:35 |  #13

I use after effects, you can easily pan, zoom, adjust the lighting etc. importing the images is a breeze click the folder with your images, highlight the first image, check the box marked sequence and it's stitched together in seconds.

My time lapse site www.magicpixel.co.uk/m​agicpixel (external link)
Canon550d/ 70-200 F4/ 17-40 F4/ 50 1.8/Powershot G12
www.flickr.com/photos/​xmagicpixelx/ (external link)
Adobe AE4/PR4/PS4/LR4

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 19, 2012 03:01 |  #14

You can also use Sony Vegas. It's just a case of setting the default time for how long you want the still image - I use 1/25 second (0.04) 'cos that's what we shoot in over here.

Once the stream of images are imported it is easier to manipulate them if you render them out as a single video file as it is otherwise easy to accidentally rearrange individual files while trying to move the whole clip.

Alternatively, to avoid rendering individual "scenes" place each "Scene" on a separate time line. You can then apply global filters to all images in that time line and cross fade onto other time lines. Using rendered clips is easier but the purist might want to use the original, uncompressed, image files.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 19, 2012 03:33 |  #15

Thanks for that John! I still haven't fully figured out all of Vegas' in's and out's. It's good to know that I can do a TL in Sony Vegas.

I've been so wanting to try doing a TL bit of video. Where do I look in Vegas to play with TLs?

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

sponsored links

3,421 views & 0 likes for this thread
What program for Timelapse video
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.