Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RANT

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 05, 2012 07:36 |  #61

Maybe the cheap lady isn't running a business? You can make money perfectly legal as a hobby :P

She is just staring out according to her facebook, she will soon realize her time is worth money. Shes obviously cheap as shes looking just to get some experience. It her passion and its fun, but it will soon burn her out when she realizes she aint making any money.

I know a lady here that is new and just shot a wedding with Canon XS and kit lens, she charged $100 wasted a day of her tiime, and then worked on trying to salvage her crappy images for a week, and ended up charging only $50 because the were bad. She shot on a sunny day mid afternoon in no shade. All the pics were blown out , coon faces, and 1/2 shadowed. She told me she will nevrer charge so low again. The bad thing is next time she will charge more and most likely get sued.

sponsored links
Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,547 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 05, 2012 09:09 |  #62

That's part of the reason why inexperienced amateurs who just bought a "pro" camera thinking it will magically create awesome photos for them shouldn't be shooting weddings (or any similarly critical event). Weddings can't be re-shot, for the most part. Family portraits, kids, pets, things like that can always be re-shot, but doing a wedding with zero experience is like getting out on a rally racetrack with a really nice WRX and no knowledge of how the car works.

Second thing is, most amateurs don't really know the business side - do they have a contract? Model release? Do they take a retainer to book their dates? What about albums (if the couple wants one)? What about post work, all the time it takes to go through 400+ images of the day is a lot of work. Do they have backup equipment and the lenses that are able to cope with low light situations? Insurance?

It's unfortunate, but the GWCs who think they can shoot a wedding simply because they bought a new Rebel series body with a kit lens and the pop up flash are ruining weddings for their clients.

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 05, 2012 09:24 |  #63

Zansho wrote in post #14213978 (external link)
That's part of the reason why inexperienced amateurs who just bought a "pro" camera thinking it will magically create awesome photos for them shouldn't be shooting weddings (or any similarly critical event). Weddings can't be re-shot, for the most part. Family portraits, kids, pets, things like that can always be re-shot, but doing a wedding with zero experience is like getting out on a rally racetrack with a really nice WRX and no knowledge of how the car works.

Second thing is, most amateurs don't really know the business side - do they have a contract? Model release? Do they take a retainer to book their dates? What about albums (if the couple wants one)? What about post work, all the time it takes to go through 400+ images of the day is a lot of work. Do they have backup equipment and the lenses that are able to cope with low light situations? Insurance?

It's unfortunate, but the GWCs who think they can shoot a wedding simply because they bought a new Rebel series body with a kit lens and the pop up flash are ruining weddings for their clients.

I totally agree, the funny thing is she was using a point n shoot before this for weddings. The biggest save for her is most people arent nit picks luck us on the forums. Your average Joe sees someone that can get better sharpness and contrast then what they are used to getting on their phones or PNS and they think its great. Most pay no attention to detail, like shadows n highlights. And this particular lady does fancy graphical edits that make people go wow. Its funny that her edits generally look better then the actual shots.

Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,547 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 05, 2012 09:36 |  #64

The interesting thing is, I don't worry all that much about the GWCs shooting budget weddings. I do feel somewhat bad for the couple they're shooting for. If I worried about the GWCs, I'd be wasting valuable time and energy that could be focused on getting the clients that do want to pay my rates, and value my work.

As long as it isn't illegal or hurting anyone and does not go against my personal/business ethics, and they're willing to pay my rate, I'm all for it. :).

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 05, 2012 09:37 |  #65

Daship wrote in post #14213559 (external link)
Maybe the cheap lady isn't running a business? You can make money perfectly legal as a hobby :P

In the US, it's still taxable income, whether you're "running a business" or not.

No doubt there are people engaged in a plethora of trades "part time" and failing to report the income. I don't condone breaking the law, but I think we're all better off trying to improve our own businesses than spending time being a volunteer snitch for the IRS.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 05, 2012 12:29 |  #66

Curtis N wrote in post #14214097 (external link)
In the US, it's still taxable income, whether you're "running a business" or not.

No doubt there are people engaged in a plethora of trades "part time" and failing to report the income. I don't condone breaking the law, but I think we're all better off trying to improve our own businesses than spending time being a volunteer snitch for the IRS.

Yeah they already have auditors on the payroll. If they want to set me up with a cushy salary and benefits, then and only then will I be a narc.

Besides, being a cynic, I firmly believe they'd audit an over-aggressive snitch too (if not first). The government is made up of human beings and they don't like snitching douches either.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 07, 2012 13:34 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

Zansho wrote in post #14213978 (external link)
That's part of the reason why inexperienced amateurs who just bought a "pro" camera thinking it will magically create awesome photos for them shouldn't be shooting weddings (or any similarly critical event).

To be fair, though, that's not a determination that should be made by anyone except the photographer and the photographer's clients...

If those clients are pleased with the results, what's been ruined?

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

PeteMandiePhotos
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 07, 2012 18:11 |  #68

Her work is crap and she knows it...that's why she charges so little. She will get work from those who
don't know any better I would think. She is what is called a faux-tographer.

www.PhotosPeteMandie.c​om (external link)

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 07, 2012 19:08 |  #69

Stop hanging out with cheapskates.

If you believe you are good enough to charge a certain rate start acting like the guys that do.

They do not spend time trying to "educate" someone about why they are worth their price, they demonstrate it by booking clients for big jobs at great prices and referring cheapskates to the Mall studio.
If you don't have good clients now, work on getting them. If your day is wasted talking to people with no money you will never acquire any.

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 07, 2012 19:21 |  #70

maybe she's charging a $45 'shoot fee' and making a boatload on print sales.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2012 19:50 |  #71

PeteMandiePhotos wrote in post #14227059 (external link)
Her work is crap and she knows it...that's why she charges so little. She will get work from those who

No she gets work from that market price point. Why on earth anyone would feel so threatened to denigrate her is beyond me.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 07, 2012 22:41 |  #72

PeteMandiePhotos wrote in post #14227059 (external link)

You're not exactly an expensive wunderkind there, Mr. Pot.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2012 08:22 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

fotoworx wrote in post #14227390 (external link)
No she gets work from that market price point. Why on earth anyone would feel so threatened to denigrate her is beyond me.

Because she's working and making money, and some people hate to see that...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

PeteMandiePhotos
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 08, 2012 09:09 |  #74

I have to say it is does irk me when people buy a DSLR, set it at f1.8, and BOOM, they're an professional photographer. For me, it took about 8 years before we opened up, including a year just learning Photoshop backwards and forwards. Photography is vast! And sometimes when I see photographers popping up (all over! lol), I want to say, "have you paid your dues?" That's all. Now, her facebook says, "I'm just starting out in this crazy photography world." Granted, I don't know how long she studied, so I will concede that....moving on.

www.PhotosPeteMandie.c​om (external link)

brett201
85 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 08, 2012 09:48 |  #75

BreitlingFan wrote in post #14229528 (external link)
Because she's working and making money, and some people hate to see that...

how can you tell shes making money? more like, people assume shes making money and hate to see that.

sponsored links

23,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
RANT
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.