Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 02:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My God, how can people be this stupid?

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 07, 2012 21:07 |  #31

Joe Ravenstein wrote in post #14212984 (external link)
Ya can't fix stupid.

Yes, you can....the same way they fix dogs.

:lol::lol::lol:

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

sponsored links
Tiberius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 08, 2012 00:08 |  #32

What? Cut his brains out? But microsurgery is so expensive!

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

alex.hondsmerk
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 08, 2012 04:11 |  #33

Forced lobotomy?

Gripped 50D, 24-105 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4 L, EF-S 17-85, 50 f/1.8 II "L" (external link), Tamron 60 f/2 Macro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, 430EX
Flickr (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 08, 2012 04:23 |  #34

let's go to bestbuy and checkout the sales people in the camera section, they also have a bunch of the same people. let's pretend we know nothing about camera.

the management was also stupid for not giving enough training to its staff. How about if the customer is really knowledgable and was just acting damn?

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 08, 2012 05:47 |  #35

I overheard a customer being told "Better quality pictures" in response to the customers question as to why one 4gb SD card was $30 and another SD card was $50.

It is surprising how when trying to offer informed advice to a customer who has been given bad advice by a clerk just how unwelcome your assistance can be. Guess sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2012 08:20 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

Justaddwata wrote in post #14229168 (external link)
It is surprising how when trying to offer informed advice to a customer who has been given bad advice by a clerk just how unwelcome your assistance can be.

Why would someone put any weight to what some random shopper has to say?

I'm not saying that every salesman out there is a good one, or that he knows what he's talking about. But the apparent offense being taken, by suggesting that there's no reason to believe some random shopper, is also surprising...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 08, 2012 08:28 |  #37

We can apply that logic to any photography forum too, then.

Actually almost anything in life in reality.

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2012 09:21 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

Bosscat wrote in post #14229551 (external link)
We can apply that logic to any photography forum too, then.

Actually almost anything in life in reality.

That is, by and large, true.

That said, though, on a photography forum, you can probably expect that you're going to encounter people who know a good deal about photography and equipment.

But Wal-Mart?

Sorry, but "Wal-Mart" just doesn't instill a great deal of confidence with regards to the likelihood that there will be knowledgeable photographers walking around wanting to offer sound advice.

Your mileage, of course, may vary...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 08, 2012 09:29 |  #39

Brick and mortal stores!

Yeah, I spelled that right.

1. I'm wondering if you heard it correctly. Maybe he actually said that DSLRs are more professional and you misheard him or misunderstood him.

2. Perhaps he meant to say DSLRs are more professional, but with all the acronyms got confused and flip-flopped the terms. It's quite possible he just misspoke.

3. He could be one of those people George Carlin was warning us about.

4. If you take all the intelligent people in China (say, the top 20% of the population), that's about the same number as total Americans. Conversely, the number of really stupid people in China outnumers our entire population.

5. State politicians continue to believe (at least here in Georgia) that we must make sure all school children score above average on standardized tests. :O

Thank you. bw!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 08, 2012 09:32 |  #40

And, yes, you can fix stupid: turn off the TV.

Better yet: throw it out the window (provided only someone even dumber is below---kill two birds with one stone, so-to-speak).

Edumacation is the cure for stupidity, but ironically it's stupid people who hate school.

I've been teaching a long time, and every time a child (and occasionally adult) says, "I don't like to read," I want to reply: "That's because you're not good at it."

Instead I have to say something sensitive like, "Well, if you make yourself read a little each day, eventually you'll begin to enjoy it."

They don't believe me.

I guess they figure I'm stupid.

Thank you. bw!

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 08, 2012 09:57 |  #41

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14229784 (external link)
Edumacation is the cure for stupidity, but ironically it's stupid people who hate school.

Care to explain how educated people that we elect to run countries, states, provinces, municipal governments etc etc etc, do not understand that you can't spend more then you take in?

If they actually had a brain, we wouldn't be up to our eyeballs in debt now would we?

djentley
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 08, 2012 10:32 |  #42

Tiberius47 wrote in post #14212930 (external link)
I was at JB Hi Fi today (they sell computers, cameras, DVDs, CDs televisions, car stereos, that sorta thing) and I overheard a sales assistant talking to some customers...

"Professionals generally tend to use compact cameras because they get better high ISO performance than digital SLRs because their sensors are smaller."

I was in shock for half an hour.

If I was the boss I'd sack him ASAP. I mean, had he talked the customer into buying even the bottom of the range D-SLR, they would be trapped in a never-ending rat race of purchasing ever more expensive gear to improve the quality of their photographs by incrementally smaller amounts each time.

It's like a drug dealer selling a first time customer tickets to a comprehensive rehab clinic. :lol:

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 08, 2012 10:47 |  #43

Ok wait, P is for professional? I thought it was for when you need Perfect photos.

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2012 11:10 |  #44

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14229784 (external link)
And, yes, you can fix stupid: turn off the TV.

Better yet: throw it out the window (provided only someone even dumber is below---kill two birds with one stone, so-to-speak).

I've been teaching a long time, and every time a child (and occasionally adult) says, "I don't like to read," I want to reply: "That's because you're not good at it."

Instead I have to say something sensitive like, "Well, if you make yourself read a little each day, eventually you'll begin to enjoy it."

They don't believe me.

I guess they figure I'm stupid.

Now, now. You do know that all teachers are stupid, do you not? The proof is the size of their paychecks.

And as for reading (or lack thereof), just remember that those who will not read have little advantage over those who cannot read.

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 08, 2012 11:18 |  #45

Yeah, retail stores aren't the best for photo information.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

6,909 views & 0 likes for this thread
My God, how can people be this stupid?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.