Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Apr 2012 (Friday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smuggled Camera Gear Worth Over $60 Million Seized in China

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 07, 2012 07:10 |  #16

60,204 cameras, 13,623 lenses, 483 flashes,

Must have been a lot of Rebels and P&S (or equiv) in order to keep the average camera well under $1000. We sure didn't see 60,000 cameras in those pictures!

Plus, seems to me someone could make good money teaching the Chinese to use flash. Seems everyone's afraid of it. :)

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

sponsored links
Emergency ­ Exit
223 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 07, 2012 08:08 |  #17

All this gear - $60 million - and you can buy not one Boeing 747, which costs $200m+...

Emergency Exit Pictures (external link)
EOS 60D Gripped | EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Speedlite 430EX II
Full Goodies List

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 07, 2012 08:15 |  #18

I would love to live in China if they do what they do to seized goods in Canada.....they have an auction!

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 07, 2012 08:21 |  #19

Well, if I were an honest Canon dealer in Canada, I think I'd have a big problem with the government flooding the market with gray- or black-market cameras.

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 07, 2012 08:25 |  #20

AntonLargiader wrote in post #14224748 (external link)
Well, if I were an honest Canon dealer in Canada, I think I'd have a big problem with the government flooding the market with gray- or black-market cameras.

Do you think the Canadian government cares about that....$$$$$ that is all they care about. Right now they are trying to grab some of my pension!
Won't say anymore due to POTN rules about political views and such.

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,020 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 07, 2012 14:54 |  #21

'Black market' is distinct from 'grey market', in which commodities are distributed through channels which, while legal, are unofficial or unauthorized or unintended by the original manufacturer.

In this case, it is 'gray market' goods, which bypass usual uplift of prices for VAT (and/or other reasons) avoidance, etc. The 'harm' is that the usual distributor organization inherits all the warranty costs without having derived economic benefit of the initial sale to retailers.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 07, 2012 21:31 |  #22

My buddy is a drug cop who told me that he and 2 other officers busted a drug dealer about an hour late , $300 000 in cash and 20 pounds of coke along with a few really nice hand guns.
I asked if he and the others talked about any deals that involved a sunny holiday and he just said that it may have went a different way if only he was in that room.
In this case of camera gear, I would think that one guy in the force got a new lens..

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

tdp_photos
170 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 07, 2012 21:41 |  #23

shayneyasinski wrote in post #14227760 (external link)
My buddy is a drug cop who told me that he and 2 other officers busted a drug dealer about an hour late , $300 000 in cash and 20 pounds of coke along with a few really nice hand guns.
I asked if he and the others talked about any deals that involved a sunny holiday and he just said that it may have went a different way if only he was in that room.
In this case of camera gear, I would think that one guy in the force got a new lens..

Man those drug dealers must really like Coke, I'm more of a Sprite guy myself.

my flickr (external link) - my 500px (external link)

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 08, 2012 07:20 |  #24

Wilt wrote in post #14226308 (external link)
The 'harm' is that the usual distributor organization inherits all the warranty costs without having derived economic benefit of the initial sale to retailers.

I think that's only true in some cases. I've read here on POTN about people having to send their lenses back to the US for warranty service. I think warrantying only in-market product is the only tool that the manufacturers really have to put pressure on the gray market.

An unfortunate side-effect of these policies can arise when a family moves, taking their warrantied products with them. A related example of this is something I have seen in the world of BMW motorcycles (my job) where dealerships show preference to customers who bought their bikes there. If someone moves into the area with a bike, no matter how loyal a customer they might become, they won't get the free loaner and so forth unless they were to sell their bike and buy a new one from that dealer.

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 08, 2012 07:23 |  #25

I will give you 40 million for it.

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

Wilt
42,020 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 08, 2012 10:07 |  #26

AntonLargiader wrote in post #14229339 (external link)
I think that's only true in some cases. I've read here on POTN about people having to send their lenses back to the US for warranty service. I think warrantying only in-market product is the only tool that the manufacturers really have to put pressure on the gray market.

An unfortunate side-effect of these policies can arise when a family moves, taking their warrantied products with them. A related example of this is something I have seen in the world of BMW motorcycles (my job) where dealerships show preference to customers who bought their bikes there. If someone moves into the area with a bike, no matter how loyal a customer they might become, they won't get the free loaner and so forth unless they were to sell their bike and buy a new one from that dealer.

Given the fact that often the distributor for a region is measured on its own Profit and Loss (P&L) results (as a result of not being directly affiliated with the manufacturer except at the very highest roll-up of the corporate aggregate), it is unfair to the management and employees of that distributor, when cost cuts drop employment or managers are dismissed for new management because they missed the profit goals. I know we, as consumers, normally "don't care" about that...until we are the ones affected by the dismissal!

Moving to a different locale, one merely needs to provide a copy of your original receipt showing that YOU bought the camera 'in a foreign country', and the warranty is honored. The situation where some companies (I have heard that Nikon operates like this, but do not know for certain...) is that if your receipt was in USA but the serial number is traceable to a unit which was not imported into USA by ThatBrand USA, I could see them not honoring no-cost warranty repairs, but supposedly some will not even repair the camera...that is overboard, IMHO.

Tamron USA offers a SIX year warranty, when the standard Tamron warranty is one year. So it seems very unfair for Tamron USA to absorb the repair costs for five more years, on gear brought in thru the gray market from other distributor territories.

As for the free loaner motorcycle, a different spin on your described situation is that a consumer might have deliberately driven 200 miles to get a better deal from another BMW dealer, and then brought it home where they expect free loaners from the dealer that they chose not to use?! I know it is unfair for the customer who relocated 1000 miles, but the line has to be drawn somewhere; and I speculate that folks driving 200 miles for a better deal far outnumber the folks relocating due to job change.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tdp_photos
170 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 08, 2012 10:13 |  #27

Last year in Thailand I had an actual Canon employee tell me if I bought a lens there, when I came back to Taiwan (where I live) I would have no warranty on the lens. He said some new Canon policy stated the warranty was only good in the country you bought the item in. I tried to argue...didn't work. Oh and I walked out with all the money I walked in with.

Sorry it is a bit off topic.

my flickr (external link) - my 500px (external link)

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 08, 2012 11:39 |  #28

Wilt wrote in post #14229913 (external link)
As for the free loaner motorcycle, a different spin on your described situation is that a consumer might have deliberately driven 200 miles to get a better deal from another BMW dealer...

Or 2000; dealers are on eBay, too. But I was talking specifically about relocation, for people who already live the 'buy local' way. And yes, you have to draw a line and my MC scenario is the dealer's line to draw because it's his initiative to offer loaners (rather than being a BMW corporate policy).

Maybe you think I'm advocating universal warranty coverage, but I'm not. I think the manufacturer is absolutely right to deny coverage to gray-market goods. There are cases where it seems unfair, but as you said, at some point a policy takes over. It's nice when that policy accommodates travelers but it isn't always so.

JLP520
175 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 08, 2012 19:51 as a reply to  @ AntonLargiader's post |  #29

Photo gear is more expensive than guns...and takes up less space.

Jeff :cool:

Wilt
42,020 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 08, 2012 20:41 |  #30

AntonLargiader wrote in post #14230325 (external link)
Maybe you think I'm advocating universal warranty coverage, but I'm not. I think the manufacturer is absolutely right to deny coverage to gray-market goods. There are cases where it seems unfair, but as you said, at some point a policy takes over. It's nice when that policy accommodates travelers but it isn't always so.

So we were 'violently' agreeing! :lol:

sponsored links

3,930 views & 0 likes for this thread
Smuggled Camera Gear Worth Over $60 Million Seized in China
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.