Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 07:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Silent 600D

camerart
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 07, 2012 07:15 |  #1

Hi,

I have a 600D and am interested in using a computer to take photos in a wildlife setting.

Is there a way to make it quiet, perhaps by holding up the mirror?

I've been used to triggering a Powershot A620, which is nearly silent and doesn't scare wildlife.

Cheers, Camerart.

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 08, 2012 02:50 |  #2

Unfortunately, even holding up the mirror won't do much good. I don't use MLU often, but IIRC, the mirror comes back down after every shot, so you still get the noise. Of course, it may help if you flip it up and wait until the subject approaches, then it'll be quieter, but you'll only get 1 shot with the benefit of the reduced sound. The reason your powershot is so silent is because it doesn't have a mirror as I'm sure you've observed. There's not much you can do to silence a DSLR mirror.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 08, 2012 03:33 |  #3

Sirrith wrote in post #14228882 (external link)
Unfortunately, even holding up the mirror won't do much good. I don't use MLU often, but IIRC, the mirror comes back down after every shot, so you still get the noise. Of course, it may help if you flip it up and wait until the subject approaches, then it'll be quieter, but you'll only get 1 shot with the benefit of the reduced sound. The reason your powershot is so silent is because it doesn't have a mirror as I'm sure you've observed. There's not much you can do to silence a DSLR mirror.

MLU? IIRC?

That's a pity. When I bought the camera I read that the mirror could be held up, and naively thought it changed to 'as a compact'. Never mind, I've learnt.

As it is for many shots controlled form a distance, it will be in a waterproof, soundproof box.

Thanks, Camerart.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 08, 2012 12:05 |  #4

Sirrith wrote in post #14228882 (external link)

I don't know about the 600D, but with my 60D, using the mirror lock locks the mirror up untill I manually unlock it. However, the shutter on an SLR is still a lot noisier than a P&S shutter, even without the mirror slap.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2012 08:24 |  #5

Preeb wrote in post #14230436 (external link)
I don't know about the 600D, but with my 60D, using the mirror lock locks the mirror up untill I manually unlock it. However, the shutter on an SLR is still a lot noisier than a P&S shutter, even without the mirror slap.

I believe the 60D has silent mode, but the 600D doesn't. It might be possible, with video which is silent, but this isn't ideal, and perhaps Magic lantern, if I dare put it on the camera.

Thanks Camerart.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 09, 2012 13:49 |  #6

camerart wrote in post #14234652 (external link)
I believe the 60D has silent mode, but the 600D doesn't. It might be possible, with video which is silent, but this isn't ideal, and perhaps Magic lantern, if I dare put it on the camera.

Thanks Camerart.

I don't even have it in silent mode. That's another setting. My mirror lock appears to be same as the live view button on the back. I press that and the mirror is locked up until I unlock it. In video mode, that button starts the capture.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 09, 2012 16:10 |  #7

Using mirror lockup should be significantly quieter, but as mentioned, certainly isn't totally silent. Even the "silent" mode that some cameras have isn't really silent. SLRs certainly aren't a new tool for wildlife photography, though, so I'm guessing there are some avid wildlife photographers out there who have some good techniques to mitigate the noise.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 10, 2012 06:16 |  #8

camerart wrote in post #14228957 (external link)
MLU? IIRC?

mirror lock up, if i remember correctly.

Preeb wrote in post #14230436 (external link)

With my 450D its like this:
first press shutter button mirror flips up
second press takes the shot, mirror flips back down

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 10, 2012 09:00 |  #9

The more that I think about it, mirror lockup may not be the way to go for wildlife photography afterall. First of all, it really slows you down. Second, the mirror won't stay up for extended periods. After awhile, it will close back down (I believe it's because the CCD eventually starts to overheat). Lastly, you actually end up making more noise, because in order to autofocus, it has to flip the mirror back down. On my 5D, it's not quite as loud as taking a picture, but it's definitely very audible.

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2012 09:57 |  #10

IslandCrow wrote in post #14240931 (external link)
The more that I think about it, mirror lockup may not be the way to go for wildlife photography afterall. First of all, it really slows you down. Second, the mirror won't stay up for extended periods. After awhile, it will close back down (I believe it's because the CCD eventually starts to overheat). Lastly, you actually end up making more noise, because in order to autofocus, it has to flip the mirror back down. On my 5D, it's not quite as loud as taking a picture, but it's definitely very audible.

On the 600D there is live view, and there are programs that can be installed on the camera, that I'm sure can hold the mirror up and be as quiet as possible, but they do have discalimers, that state they could break the camera, and as this is my new pride and joy, I'm not going to risk it.

So I think I had better accept that the camera wil be inside a waterproof and sound proof box, and that's the best I can do.

Thanks, Camerart.

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2012 10:00 |  #11

Sirrith wrote in post #14240415 (external link)
MLU- mirror lock up, if i remember correctly.

With my 450D its like this:
first press shutter button mirror flips up
second press takes the shot, mirror flips back down

Thanks, Camerart

sponsored links

3,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
Silent 600D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.