Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 15:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1d mk iv and 5d 3 or 1DX

Gadget-Guy
724 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 08, 2012 02:16 |  #31

Sold my 1DMKIV but miss it loads and will now start saving again for another body.

With the 1DMKIV features i think you would only need a 5D MKII for full frame IQ as the MKIV covers the 5DMKIII and some in frame rate,A/F and buffer size not to mention built in grip and better weather sealing.

On the other hand the 5DMKIII does look an excellent camera and a better value buy than the 1DX and if i went that route then would more than likely get a 1DMKIII as backup or even a 7D must admit thats a tough call on your side and enjoy what ever ones you decide on but i do prefer two cameras rather than one all rounder.

Have sold my 300 now but found the MKIII 2x tc gave better contrast and sharpness against the older tc but no improvement in A/F unless used with the newer big whites.

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

sponsored links
skater911
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2012 02:30 as a reply to  @ Gadget-Guy's post |  #32

What did you sell your 300 for? Something longer? I kinda have regrets about not getting the 400 instead of the 300, but the weight kinda turned me off. Plus with the mkiv and and the 1.4, it gives me as much reach as the native 500 on a ff camera.

Nikon D850 l Nikon 28 1.4E l Nikon 50 1.8 g l Nikon 24-120 F4 l Tamron 100-400 l

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,863 posts
Gallery: 724 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 08, 2012 03:58 as a reply to  @ skater911's post |  #33

Other than full frame (which I don't need) can anyone tell me what benefit the 1DX has over the 1DIV?
As a mainly wildlife shooter wanting to improve on the results I get from my 7D, the 1DIV seems to make the most sense. Thoughts?

Gadget-Guy
724 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 08, 2012 05:05 |  #34

skater911 wrote in post #14228837 (external link)
What did you sell your 300 for? Something longer? I kinda have regrets about not getting the 400 instead of the 300, but the weight kinda turned me off. Plus with the mkiv and and the 1.4, it gives me as much reach as the native 500 on a ff camera.

Sold the 1D MKIV and the 300 f2.8 to finance a 400 f2.8 and then got a 1DMKIII as a stop gap.

I only shoot motorsport and wanted a 400 as used the 300 all of the time with a 1.4tc attached but to be honest wished i had stayed with my original kit :oops:.

The 400 is just to much to lug round a race track all day and the ISO was more than useable on the MKIV up to 6400 for what i need and the sharpness of the 300 with both the 1.4x and 2x tc was excellent.

Now looking for another mint 300 f2.8 IS L and 1DMKIV but also tempted by the 5DMKIII as have never tried full frame yet but looks a more affordable option than the 1DX if it ever gets released ;).

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 08, 2012 06:08 |  #35

2slo wrote in post #14228992 (external link)
Other than full frame (which I don't need) can anyone tell me what benefit the 1DX has over the 1DIV?
As a mainly wildlife shooter wanting to improve on the results I get from my 7D, the 1DIV seems to make the most sense. Thoughts?

Until people actually get hold of a 1D X hard to say, but I do think there will be a reasonable jump in more MP, ISO, IQ and most of all AF, it is faster in all corners, with some touches for people like HDR etc. it will be the near perfect all rounder in lots of ways for a Canon, that is a first for a very long time. down side expensive, but a body that will last a lot of photographers like myself a long time.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 08, 2012 06:09 |  #36

Gadget Guy, a 5D MK3 and a 400 2.8 for motorsport I bet would be a top notch combination.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

Stan_Fox
121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 08, 2012 07:08 |  #37

Richard, I feel your pain! It looks like the 1DX won't be released until Q3 2012 at this point. I am waiting on CPS to get demo units for the 1DX & 5D MkIII, before deciding to replace my 1Ds MkIII & 5D MkII combos. I love the 1Ds MkIII for everything other than low light / high ISO (above 1600) and have made do with the 5D MkII for smaller form factor, high ISO & some commercial video.

I'm actually looking forward to the slightly smaller file size of the 1DX, as ever since we switched over from Olympus E-3's, the larger files have been choking my Mac Book Pro for location editing.

Since you already have the 1D MkIV, it looks like the hot setup is adding the 5D MkIII. I look forward to hearing your decision and the results!

Chief Bottle Washer
www.foxworthystudios.c​om (external link)
www.fromthefox.wordpre​ss.com (external link)
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2012 07:27 |  #38

I just recently bought a slightly used MKIV and love it. I shoot with two bodies: for action shots (wildlife - I don;t do sports) I use the MK IV and for landscape I use a 5D MKII. I love that combo. Excellent IQ with both, super fast AF and frame rate with the MK IV and high ISO for wildlife, if needed.

For my shooting style I don't need the new features of the 5D MK III.

skater911
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2012 09:56 as a reply to  @ 5Dmaniac's post |  #39

^^^ when I had the 5d mkii I loved it, but having the 1d I have gotten a little spoiled with the refinements that comes along with the 1 series. I guess my biggest decision is if I want one or two bodies. 1dx or mkiv and mkiii, and with the hands on reviews with the 5d it makes it a little harder. Since there is nothing wrong with my current camera I am just going to hold off a little longer.

@ gadget guy

Are you keeping your 400? If I were to move from the 300 to the 400 I would use a monopod a majority of the time. Is it pretty manageable on a monopod?

Nikon D850 l Nikon 28 1.4E l Nikon 50 1.8 g l Nikon 24-120 F4 l Tamron 100-400 l

skater911
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2012 09:57 |  #40

5Dmaniac wrote in post #14229355 (external link)
I just recently bought a slightly used MKIV and love it. I shoot with two bodies: for action shots (wildlife - I don;t do sports) I use the MK IV and for landscape I use a 5D MKII. I love that combo. Excellent IQ with both, super fast AF and frame rate with the MK IV and high ISO for wildlife, if needed.

For my shooting style I don't need the new features of the 5D MK III.

I don't believe you. Your mkiv is not in your signature. :)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2012 15:32 |  #41

skater911 wrote in post #14229883 (external link)
I don't believe you. Your mkiv is not in your signature. :)

OOOpps! Fixed:-)

sponsored links

7,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
1d mk iv and 5d 3 or 1DX
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.