Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 21:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Working with Harsh Sunlight

sandeep9868
106 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 08, 2012 06:46 |  #16

the second set is much better than 1st one, obviously the location and flash made such difference.

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 08, 2012 08:32 |  #17

Jon, you have every opportunity to fix the 'shadow' line in bright sun w/ enough wattage of light! What you can't do, is fix the squinting!

With a decent studio strobe and reflector OR efficient modifier near the camera position, you could blast 500 to 1000 w/s of light to balance everything out. Wait till sunset and like many people have said, you will on need a small flash. No matter what direction the sun is coming from, the light will either fill in the shadow and add to the sun OR it will fill in the shadow to balance the sun. All we are talking about is % of light. More direct sun = more flash.

PhotographersWorldWide
395 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 08, 2012 08:39 |  #18

chugger93 wrote in post #14227718 (external link)
As you can see the shadow side of our faces kind of throws of this composition for me. Direct flash won't really help, so I'm guessing I would have to illuminate from the left side.

Any ideas on how to tackle these sorts of setups? Should I be tagging along my 36' umbrellas? I hate to do that, because its a park and tons of people around. Probably would think I'm cookoo...

Your first shot is far better than the rest as its not flat. (Although it does have a treetrunk growing out of your head).

All those reasons you stated.. location, background, houses, not looking cookoo.. are relevant.

On axis fill to reduce the shadows is all you need - theres barely any squinting to overcome so you wouldn't really need much more. Bare flash fill would work, if you have enough output - a 5" diffuser or even a 18" softbox would all be beneficial.

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 08, 2012 09:00 |  #19

I don't think I'm ready to buy strobes, as I'm still getting the hang of off camera speedlites. I probably could have brought my triggers, and setup my 430 off to the left somewhere to fill in that side. That never dawned on me.

Good catch on the tree trunk outta my head. I really have to watch for that stuff.

Sometimes it's hard to wait until the right moment around sunset with kids though. I can't always just pick up and leave to get the right kind of light. Sometimes I have to work with what I have at the time of day I have the time in. So with that said, I need to grasp the right techniques to "make it work" as best as possible. Correct in POST for whatever needs it

Thanks again everyone for your comments

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 08, 2012 09:16 |  #20

If you can get an assistant, give this a try:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=7ykLKifD1lU (external link)

Feedback
Instagram (external link)
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,204 views & 0 likes for this thread
Working with Harsh Sunlight
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.