Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 16:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 4 vs Lightroom 3.6

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 08, 2012 16:54 |  #1

Just was curious on others opinion if it would be worth upgrading from LR3.6 to LR4. Would love to hear what others have to say.

sponsored links
TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 08, 2012 18:03 |  #2

I did the upgrade and am very happy with it. I like the basic panel even more now. For the reasonable cost I am glad I did it. I have to play with the video capabilities a bit to see what that can bring.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

DarenM
673 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 08, 2012 18:21 as a reply to  @ TTuna Eye's post |  #3

no question....absolutely satisfied with the upgrade

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 1D MK III, Canon 5D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS MK II, 17-40 F4 Canon, 430 EX, Canon A2E, 530EX Canon 1.4 Extender, 580 II, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, (Way too much stuff for an amateur)

stock28
499 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 08, 2012 23:06 as a reply to  @ DarenM's post |  #4

Well worth the upgrade. Only problem I have is the slow sliders in the develop panel but that should be fixed with the update.

7D, 70-200 L f4 non IS, 100 macro 2.8, 50 1.8, 18-55 kit

FlickR (external link)

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 08, 2012 23:18 |  #5

But WHY are you guys satisfied?

deeselcyde
32 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 08, 2012 23:41 |  #6

TBH, I received the free upgrade from Adobe and it seems a lot clunkier and slower than 3.6. Otherwise everything else is great!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 08, 2012 23:45 |  #7

thedcmule2 wrote in post #14233188 (external link)

People like the updated Basic controls a lot. Then there is SoftProofing, which a lot of us have been wishing for.

The mapping and book functions please some people, but aren't as "fundamental" as the others.

If Adobe addresses the various performance issues users will be very happy! Those that don't have performance issues are very happy as it is!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 09, 2012 02:29 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #8

I upgraded from 3.6 to 4.0 and are happy with the new raw converter. The results of the sliders are much more selective and side effects (halos, etc) are more rare.

HOWEVER: All the important sliders are completely different from what I was used in the old version. It took me quite a while to adapt my workflow to these new sliders. Actually, it was quite frustrating at times. Where in 3.6 it took me a few seconds to get me close to the look I was aiming for, it took me forever to adapt to the new sliders.

Donate if you love POTN

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 09, 2012 03:31 |  #9

thedcmule2 wrote in post #14233188 (external link)

1. Auto highlight recovery maximizes DR.
2. Highlight enhancement increases highlight contrast and visible detail. Recovery in LR3 flattened highlights.
3. Shadows slider remaps shadows with more raising of high frequency edges, thus less increase in noise per unit of opening.
4. Better masking, smoother transitions, less haloing in both tonal masking in Basic and color masks in HSL.
5. Industrial strength Clarity with much less haloing.
6. Channel curves. R/G/B curves are also active in B/W mode.
7. Auto Anti-CA.
8. Soft proofing. Ability to create soft proofed and corrected VC, ready for printing. Ability to soft proof to sRGB before web posting.
9. Local color controls.
10. Local NR.
11. Local contrast with Highlights/Shadows on brush/DGF.

Elie / אלי

sanadi
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 09, 2012 04:40 |  #10

Why not try LR4 for 30 days. Then decide whether you like it.

I tried it, wasn't overly impressed. But I use it more and more it grows on me. Now I'm loving LR4. I was using LR3.6 btw.

Some may not like the slow or sticky sliders in Develop Module. Some like me learn to live with it.

Go to Adobe website and download the trial.

paddler4
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 09, 2012 08:21 |  #11

I just installed mine, having waited because of issues like the slowness of the sliders and the point curves from version 3 not showing. I updated with RC 4.1. The sliders seem fine with that update, and I assume that the final 4.1 will be available shortly. The better exposure controls and softproofing alone make it worth it to me.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

tvon
37 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 10, 2012 17:57 |  #12

great info

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 10, 2012 19:04 |  #13

I love LR4. Simply put, my pictures look better with LR4. I love the controls of the new sliders. I was running LR4 on my Core2Duo laptop, and it was STRUGGLING. I got a desktop and now, LR4 is my dream come true. Its fast and snappy on my first gen i7 with 12GB of ram. I love it.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 4 vs Lightroom 3.6
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.