Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zeiss Makro-Planar 50/2

palwin
137 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 08, 2012 09:51 |  #1

I'm considering buying the Zeiss Makro-Planar 50/2 as my only lens. I will be using it for macro, landscapes, video and portraits. My biggest concern is for portraits, especially the bokeh. As I have looked at photos taken with this lens the quality of bokeh sometimes looked really smooth and other times very busy.

The other option is to buy a Contax Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 and a Canon 100/2 Macro but the bokeh on the Contax seems worse than the Makro-Planar. I have had the Canon 100/2 Macro in the past, it was fine as a macro lens, not amazing but got the job done.

As things look now the Makro-Planar seems like the best choice for me. Opinions? Suggestions? I would love to see some portraits taken with the Makro-Planar if anyone has used it for that.

Thanks! :)

Tobias
Flickr (external link) | Gear

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 08, 2012 11:03 |  #2

The bokeh in an image is a combination of several factors. Off the top of my head, the lens quality, the f-stop, the aperture shape, the distance to subject, the distance to background / foreground, the nature of the OOF regions and the level of vignetting all produce an effect.

It's therefore quite possible to create bokeh that's clean or busy using the same lens - change the f-stop and the separation between subject and surrounds and away you go.

On the ZE 2/50 MP... it's one of Zeiss' great lenses (the others being the 15/2.8, 21, 2/25, 1.4/35, 2/100 MP. I'm lucky to have most of these and (perhaps with the exception of the TS-E lenses) I have not found another SLR lens that is in the same class.

Sorry - I don't shoot portraits but I'm certain there are plenty in the lens' sample page.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 08, 2012 11:50 as a reply to  @ noisejammer's post |  #3

Step one: GET a focusing screen!

that huge viewfinder is SCREAMING for a focusing screen.

sure, you may use live view or focus confirmation, but the focusing screen is more accurate than the focus confirmation beep thingey.

Step two!

get a touch closer than with an 85mm lens, and keep the busy stuff in the background as far away as you are able to

step three! enjoy the sharpest 50mm lens for the EF mount!

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 08, 2012 16:54 |  #4

The 100mm is just too damn long for many uses. Don't think about distance to subject. Think about how far back the background needs to be behind the subject for what you want.

Don't count out the TS-E 45mm in that class.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

palwin
THREAD ­ STARTER
137 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 09, 2012 04:25 |  #5

uOpt wrote in post #14231501 (external link)
The 100mm is just too damn long for many uses. Don't think about distance to subject. Think about how far back the background needs to be behind the subject for what you want.

Don't count out the TS-E 45mm in that class.

50mm is without doubt my favourite focal length, it just works and that's one of the reasons I'm considering buying the Zess Makro-Planar 50 plus that I love doing macro :) I may get the Zeiss Planar 85 later for portrait stuff but as a only lens then about 50mm is a must.

I haven't looked at TS-E lenses, will check them out but I'm guessing they would be too expensive when I need a macro lens too.

Tobias
Flickr (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zeiss Makro-Planar 50/2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.