Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 04 May 2011 (Wednesday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Airshow shooters, how do you carry your gear?

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,402 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 02, 2012 23:09 |  #16

jwol wrote in post #14196405 (external link)
I carry two cameras. I use a Cotton Carrier vest and a Think Tank Speed Belt with two or three bags on it for all the little stuff. Guess I sport the total nerd look. Oh, when I eat or drink, I'll take the camera off the vest mount and let it hang on the leash off to one side. No chili and cheese that way.

LOL :D

I'm really have to get the Cotton Carrier. Nerd look or not, I believe it will be a good way of carrying my 300 f2.8/body.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

sponsored links
jwol
813 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 03, 2012 07:39 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #17

I purchased the Cotton Carrier to get the camera strap off my neck. I feel it definitely helps relieve fatigue in the neck and shoulders if your out shooting all day. It's nice too, if you're not shooting, to not have the camera swinging out in front of you, especially if you need to bend over to pick something up.

John Lackey
Fly By Photography (external link)
Blog (external link)

Radial engines don't actually leak oil, by the way. They just mark their territory!

WingsofFury
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 03, 2012 11:02 as a reply to  @ jwol's post |  #18

Over the winter I tried a lot of different combinations which would allow me to have some versatility when it came to carrying my gear, both at air shows and at the various exercises that I attend every year.

I carry two 7D's, one armed with the 100-400mm lens and the other with the 18-135mm lens.

My gear of choice is the Think Tank Digital Holster 20 for each of them, and those are mounted on a Steroid Speed Belt coupled with a Pixel Racing Harness. Also attached is a water bottle holder, which goes on the back of the belt.

I also wear a fishing vest (can always use it for more than just fishing!) where I keep a couple of extra batteries, a couple of filters, my CF card carrier (room for 8 CF Cards in there), and a couple of snacks and my wallet and/or passport.

In a recent trip to Florida I really enjoyed the system, and feel that it meets my needs when it comes to what I'm looking for as far as gear carrying goes.

Cheers.

Attila P.

lilredss
73 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 03, 2012 18:04 |  #19

WingsofFury wrote in post #14202720 (external link)
Over the winter I tried a lot of different combinations which would allow me to have some versatility when it came to carrying my gear, both at air shows and at the various exercises that I attend every year.

I carry two 7D's, one armed with the 100-400mm lens and the other with the 18-135mm lens.

My gear of choice is the Think Tank Digital Holster 20 for each of them, and those are mounted on a Steroid Speed Belt coupled with a Pixel Racing Harness. Also attached is a water bottle holder, which goes on the back of the belt.

I also wear a fishing vest (can always use it for more than just fishing!) where I keep a couple of extra batteries, a couple of filters, my CF card carrier (room for 8 CF Cards in there), and a couple of snacks and my wallet and/or passport.

In a recent trip to Florida I really enjoyed the system, and feel that it meets my needs when it comes to what I'm looking for as far as gear carrying goes.

Cheers.

Will the 7D with the 100-400 fit in the Think Tank Digital Holster 20 with the hood on?

Bob

WingsofFury
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 03, 2012 19:46 |  #20

lilredss wrote in post #14204951 (external link)
Will the 7D with the 100-400 fit in the Think Tank Digital Holster 20 with the hood on?

Bob

Hi there Bob,

It won't, so I lock it at the 100mm end with the hood on and only pull it out when the performers are doing their thing. The only time it gets put to bed is when I'm focusing on the static shots, which I don't need the leviation lens for.

I prefer the holsters as they come with waterproof coverings that are easy to fold over when the bad weather comes, and it provides adequate coverage and protection.

Attila P.

Warbird55
221 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 09, 2012 09:54 |  #21

My plan for early morning/static shooting is to have the 7D with 17-55 on my crumpler industry disgrace. My 40D will be on my BlackRapid RS-5 with either my 100-400 or the 28-135, depending on if there are any aerial opportunities.

If I am moving about during the show, I will have the 7D and 100-400 around my neck and the 40D with 28-135 on my BlackRapid. That leaves me covered for any static or taxiing opportunities.

If the show involves alot of walking, I may use my Lowerpro Primus AW. It has plenty of room for my gear.

Canon 7D2 Gripped | Canon 7D Gripped | Canon SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II | Canon Extender 1.4x III | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

sponsored links

6,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Airshow shooters, how do you carry your gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.