Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 06 Apr 2012 (Friday) 16:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2 questions from newbie using Canon 300HS

charleslee1984
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 06, 2012 16:49 |  #1

Hello everyone. My name is Charlie, a new to here. I purchased Canon 300HS last week which is my 3rd compact digital camera. When I saw some amazing photos taken by Canon 300HS, I realized the power of small digital camera. I don't want to be a professinal photographer as it's too expensive to own DSLR and not realistic to me at this time. But I am eager to be a good digital camera photographer. I dream I can take exciting photos which are the same as some photographers using the same model did.

I am looking forward to learning from everyone here.

1 Could I find some tutorial threads here?
2 What mode do you often use?

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 06, 2012 17:00 |  #2

Welcome! Don't be afraid to ask someone how they got the shot (if you read the rest of the thread and they haven't tried to explain it) or to clarify something they said that you don't quite understand. Most people here are willing to help (and if they aren't nice, well, that's what the little

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'
is for. Click on it and report them (or spammers, or other not-so-good stuff) to us.

There are a bunch of tutorials linked in this sticky in the General Photography Forum. There's also a sticky on recommended books in that forum.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Gruffalogill
90 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2012 06:04 |  #3

I've had mine for a while now and I must admit that it spends most of it's life in Auto for outdoor snaps. However, as it's the "fun" camera I also like playing about with the Miniature and Color Accent modes. For a recent holiday I bought the Canon underwater case which gave me some great shots of the kids.

Buyer/Seller Feedback

doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 09, 2012 09:54 |  #4

I didn't know it had a underwater case...SWEET!!! I am going to order one.

I use p mode most of the time. Don't shoot me forum people but I will recommend kenrockwell.com and I think michaelthemaven.com has a lot of good info on digitial photography. You might even try B and H video to see if they have any tutorials.

Congratulations on your new camera!!! It is definitely a fun little camera. I love mine and use it all the time but I will say you need a hard case if you put it in a back pack or purse, etc bc when I had mine in a soft case in my purse, something would hit it and would turn on and the lens would be sticking out and I def. didn't want anything to damage it so I bought a hard case and no problems.

Gruffalogill
90 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2012 15:09 |  #5

doublehmom wrote in post #14235069 (external link)
I didn't know it had a underwater case...SWEET!!! I am going to order one.

Yup, there are two - the 10ft one for around $60 and the serious one for 5 times that. Needless to say I bought the cheap one :)

Buyer/Seller Feedback

doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 10, 2012 20:52 |  #6

I will be ordering the cheap one as well.

charleslee1984
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 20, 2012 15:00 |  #7

Thanks all your help. very helpful.

dingie256
190 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 20, 2012 15:48 |  #8

I also have the 300HS, and it's a sweet camera. I usually use the P mode, but sometimes I like playing with the miniature effect and toy camera effect.

When DSLR people talk about modes, they mean Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, or Manual, etc. Aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are the 3 parts of the exposure triangle. The various modes affect how the camera would solve the 3 variables. If you want a point and shoot that would enable you to control these settings, try looking at the S100 or the G series. Good luck!

450D | Canon 17-55 | 70-400 4L IS | 24L II | Elph 300 HS :D

sponsored links

1,680 views & 0 likes for this thread
2 questions from newbie using Canon 300HS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.