Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Apr 2012 (Monday) 08:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85mm f/1.2 L II - That back glass element is...terrifying.

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 09, 2012 08:15 |  #1

Its my newest lens, so I baby it (as I should probably for the rest of its life, :lol:) but I never realized how close the glass element at the back was to the mounting ring until I bought it and the guy at Henry's pointed it out. Every time I mount it, it is a very slow process taken with extreme care with my eye level to the space between the lens mount and the body. I'm obsessed with not scratching it...

^ This level of care can't be the norm is it? Considering this is when I change lenses in the comfort and relative safety of my house. I'm not sure what I will do when I want to change to the lens in the field - say in the middle of a horse show - bent down on the ground. Does anyone here who owns or owned this wonderful piece of glass have any tips for mounting it without causing a cold sweat? Could one mis-alignment moment while mounting scratch the back glass in an instant? Have you ever done it? :(

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 09, 2012 08:20 |  #2

I treat it just like every other lens.
I use a Think Tank LensChanger 3 and remove both caps then put my lenses in. I just make sure the inside of the lens "tubes" in the bag is clean, that's all.

ben805
Goldmember
1,197 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 09, 2012 09:00 |  #3

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #14234606 (external link)
Its my newest lens, so I baby it (as I should probably for the rest of its life, :lol:) but I never realized how close the glass element at the back was to the mounting ring until I bought it and the guy at Henry's pointed it out. Every time I mount it, it is a very slow process taken with extreme care with my eye level to the space between the lens mount and the body. I'm obsessed with not scratching it...

^ This level of care can't be the norm is it? Considering this is when I change lenses in the comfort and relative safety of my house. I'm not sure what I will do when I want to change to the lens in the field - say in the middle of a horse show - bent down on the ground. Does anyone here who owns or owned this wonderful piece of glass have any tips for mounting it without causing a cold sweat? Could one mis-alignment moment while mounting scratch the back glass in an instant? Have you ever done it? :(

Usually when I mount the 85L II, I don't insert the lens straight on because if it didn't align perfectly the rear element WILL end up touching or banging on the camera lens mount. :shock: what I do is I tilt the lens slightly upward so I can see the rear element, then rest the bottom of the rear element's metal rim on the camera lens mount first, that way only the metal from both the lens and camera are touching each other, then tilt the lens back down and straight on to fully insert it before I twist and lock the lens in place. Normally I hold onto the camera with my left hand and rest it on my lap to stabilize it, and mount the 85L II with my right hand, i don't change the 85L II when my hands are sweaty incase this fat lens slip off.

5D Mark III, Samyang 14mm, 35LII, 85L II, 100L IS Macro, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. 580EX, AB400, AB800.

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 09, 2012 09:07 |  #4

nicksan wrote in post #14234632 (external link)

Same here. Never crossed my mind about scratching the back glass. However if this glass is as tough as the front glass I am not worried.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 09, 2012 09:37 |  #5

nicksan wrote in post #14234632 (external link)

Me too, the only thing I do differently with it involved where I park it when its not in use.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 09, 2012 10:14 |  #6

Hmmm....I've never even thought about it nor do I take any special precautions. I think you may be a little on the "too careful" side of things :)

TheGaffer
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 09, 2012 10:36 |  #7

Could one mis-alignment moment while mounting scratch the back glass in an instant?

Quit worrying.

The metal part of the mount on the lens is proud of the glass. Not by much but by enough to make the difference. The mount on the camera CANNOT touch the glass.

Believe me, I have mashed the lens onto the camera enough times, in the field, in a hurry. I can see marks and wear in the metal(!) but not a single blemish on the glass.

Andrew

http://www.tug.com/ (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 09, 2012 11:13 |  #8

I haven't taken the 85L off my 5D2 in such a long time, I've forgotten what the back end even looks like... :oops:

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Christina.DazzleByDesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 09, 2012 11:27 |  #9

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #14235509 (external link)
I haven't taken the 85L off my 5D2 in such a long time, I've forgotten what the back end even looks like... :oops:

I think I'm going to try to train myself NOT to look at how close the glass is :p

| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

terios_kwiQ
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 10, 2012 01:18 |  #10

Does anyone here who owns or owned this wonderful piece of glass have any tips for mounting it without causing a cold sweat?

The only thing I do is manually focus it to infinity (while mounted on the body with the camera turned on), which just retracts the front element.

The odd thing is that I've always used this technique, but with the impression it was having an effect on the exposed, back element of the lense. Before making this post, I looked to see what this does to the back element and saw that it has no effect on it at all. :oops:

When I first got this lense, I remember reading here POTN that it's a good idea to always focus it to infinity before removing it. I always believed it had something to do with minimizing damage to the back element. Oh well, so much for that.

I just always make sure I see everything lining up and take a little extra caution during mounting, so I don't hit that back glass on the body. Doing this I've never felt any concern about damaging it. ;)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 10, 2012 03:06 |  #11

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #14235571 (external link)
I think I'm going to try to train myself NOT to look at how close the glass is :p

Oh ho ho, It's not that I'm afraid to take it off or anything, I simply have no reason to because it's so perfect ;)

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 10, 2012 03:08 |  #12

post pics?

7D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4

Christina.DazzleByDesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 10, 2012 08:09 |  #13

terios_kwiQ wrote in post #14239763 (external link)
The only thing I do is manually focus it to infinity (while mounted on the body with the camera turned on), which just retracts the front element.

The odd thing is that I've always used this technique, but with the impression it was having an effect on the exposed, back element of the lense. Before making this post, I looked to see what this does to the back element and saw that it has no effect on it at all. :oops:

When I first got this lense, I remember reading here POTN that it's a good idea to always focus it to infinity before removing it. I always believed it had something to do with minimizing damage to the back element. Oh well, so much for that.

I just always make sure I see everything lining up and take a little extra caution during mounting, so I don't hit that back glass on the body. Doing this I've never felt any concern about damaging it. ;)

Do you know now then why its a good idea to focus to infinity? I've never done that for any of my lenses (unless the focus tube was extended too far when powered off)

New question! Why does it have a funny lens hood? :p it doesn't twist and lock like usual lens hoods...

Christina.DazzleByDesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 10, 2012 08:27 |  #14

Ebwly wrote in post #14240037 (external link)
post pics?

Sorry for the quality, quickly snapped with my phone...

Here is the back element of the 85L ....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

..and here it is in comparison with my 24-105L, which has significantly more "padding" :lol: as well as the glass itself being much further down.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

RustyHammer
685 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 10, 2012 08:34 |  #15

... WOW ... that is crazy close. Mount it and forget about it sort of lenses. (Never take it off! :) )

Thanks for sharing.

Gear List

sponsored links

9,014 views & 0 likes for this thread
85mm f/1.2 L II - That back glass element is...terrifying.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.