Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 10:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Battery Grip - Battery Life

Buchinger
467 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 08, 2012 10:28 |  #1

I have a Canon 60D.

I'm looking into buying a battery grip for the extra battery life. I also recently purchased a set of 16 PowerEx 2700 mAh batteries. I'm curious, will the battery grip with 4 of these 2700 mAh batteries last longer than my standard camera battery? I notice when shooting with the 70-200is the battery drains pretty quickly. Is two canon batteries a better option? I still think it would be nice to have in my bag in a pinch to have the option to run my camera on AA's...

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 08, 2012 10:43 |  #2

Using AA's in the grip is really only for emergencies. You're better off using the Canon batteries, or a 3rd party battery such as Sterlingtek. Personally, I'd buy a grip because I want the extra set of controls for portrait orientation, or for ergonomic reasons, not necessarily for battery life. If all I want is that, just throw an extra battery in your pocket.

Euro852
324 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 08, 2012 11:28 |  #3

Using two original battery in the battery grip will last you much longer than AA batteries. Original batteries holds a lot more juice too. AA batteries are for back up, and any of them will work.

Main Camera: FUJiFILM X-E2 | 18-55mm
Secondary: Canon 5DMKII | 500D Gripped | 24-105mm F4 L | EF-S Lenses | 580EX II | Feisol 3441S / Manfrotto 496RC2

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 08, 2012 12:36 |  #4

Buchinger wrote in post #14230002 (external link)
I have a Canon 60D. I'm looking into buying a battery grip for the extra battery life. I also recently purchased a set of 16 PowerEx 2700 mAh batteries. I'm curious, will the battery grip with 4 of these 2700 mAh batteries last longer than my standard camera battery? I notice when shooting with the 70-200is the battery drains pretty quickly. Is two canon batteries a better option? I still think it would be nice to have in my bag in a pinch to have the option to run my camera on AA's.

Writing as an owner of a Canon 60D and a user of a battery grip for that camera: the grip has a battery tray that uses six AA batteries. From using this equipment, it's clear that battery life with six NiMH AA's in a 60D is as long, if not longer, than with two of the camera's LP-E6 batteries.

The 60D was used extensively during the basketball season: it was easy to have a set of rechargeable AA's last for several basketball games in the camera.

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 08, 2012 22:47 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #5

Haven't tried the AA's in my 60D battery grip but I must warn you of the additional weight the grip brings - just be sure you'll find the portrait orientation and/or ergonomics useful! Perhaps test drive it at a store first?

Cheers,
Xeo

h1r0ll3r
248 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 09, 2012 11:03 |  #6

Love my grip. Bought it specifically for portrait grip and extra batteries. Currently have two Sterlingteks that work great. I recently took a trip to Denver for a week and never had to charge my batteries once. The weight/bulk is a factor you'll need to consider as the grips add substantial weight as well as lots of bags not quite fitting a gripped body in them. My grip is on pretty much all the time however if I know I'll be out and about for long periods of time, I'll leave the grip at home and just bring extra battery packs with me to help lighten the load.

Canon T3i [Gripped]
17-55
| 55-250 MKII | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye HD | 430 EX II

Warbird55
221 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 09, 2012 11:17 |  #7

Another vote for two Canon batteries. Both of my DSLRs are gripped with two Canon batteries. I have never had an issue with them draining. It does add some bulk, but for me, it is not a problem.

Canon 7D2 Gripped | Canon 7D Gripped | Canon SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II | Canon Extender 1.4x III | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 09, 2012 11:18 |  #8

Buy the grip for the ergonomics, not for any increased battery life.

FatalSaviour
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2011

May 21, 2012 11:43 |  #9

DC Fan wrote in post #14230543 (external link)
Writing as an owner of a Canon 60D and a user of a battery grip for that camera: the grip has a battery tray that uses six AA batteries. From using this equipment, it's clear that battery life with six NiMH AA's in a 60D is as long, if not longer, than with two of the camera's LP-E6 batteries.

The 60D was used extensively during the basketball season: it was easy to have a set of rechargeable AA's last for several basketball games in the camera.

Also as an owner of a 60D with grips, and having other EOS bodies, also gripped, using 6 AA batteries will not last *nearly* as long as two LP-E6 batteries. Indeed, if that's what you're seeing, it would seem that either your grip or more likely the batteries are defective (or at least v cheap 3rd party batteries).

Rechargeable AAs are usually around 2500mAh @ 1.2V (so 6x these are 2500mAh @ 7.2V). The canon batteries are 1800mAh @ 7.4V *each*. So it's evident that two of these are going to last longer, as extensive real world testing should (and does) show.

Hope that helps!

sponsored links

2,460 views & 0 likes for this thread
Battery Grip - Battery Life
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.