Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 14:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D Post Pictures Here (3)

this thread is locked
BigRedNole
118 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 09, 2012 13:41 |  #961

JustJeni wrote in post #14236041 (external link)
my little girl, watching the sunset yesterday

Very sweet photo. That is the reason I have good gear now.. to get pics like that one.

Canon 7D; Ʃ 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM; Ʃ 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HSM OS; Canon 50mm f/1.4 IS; Metz Mecablitz 48

sponsored links
brvheart
358 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 09, 2012 14:00 |  #962

WRXTACY wrote in post #14236031 (external link)
Gorgeous shot, you got the settings on it? I cannot see them.

Also did you fire a flash at it? Kind of looks like it.

Thank you for the kind words :)

Flash did not fire - here are the rest of the details -
Manual Mode
f/5.6
1/60
ISO 200

And just looked through your flickr - you have some great stuff in there!

www.photoitsu.com (external link)

mridley
183 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 09, 2012 14:05 as a reply to  @ brvheart's post |  #963

I'm Loving the 7d

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IanW
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 09, 2012 14:15 |  #964

Tough lighting conditions today, shot with 24-105 at ISO 3200.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7106/7060824377_413f6099c0_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/wallerni/706082​4377/  (external link)
Avebury Manor Easter 09042012-3932 1024 (external link) by Ian Waller Photography (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5DIII | BG-E11 | Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art | 24-105mm f4L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II | x1.4 & x2 III | 430EX
Yongnuo YN-622C | Kenko Tubes | LEE Filters | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3+498RC2, 694CX

flickr (external link)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 09, 2012 14:17 |  #965

IanW wrote in post #14236388 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/wallerni/706082​4377/  (external link)
Avebury Manor Easter 09042012-3932 1024 (external link) by Ian Waller Photography (external link), on Flickr

Nicely done, I would not normally push the 7d beyond iso1600, so this is a good shot.

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

Nmura
730 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 09, 2012 14:19 |  #966

IanW wrote in post #14236388 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Nice clean shot for ISO 3200.

Gear

IanW
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 09, 2012 14:19 |  #967

mtimber wrote in post #14236396 (external link)
Nicely done, I would not normally push the 7d beyond iso1600, so this is a good shot.

Thanks, I was very pleased with how the shots turned out today. Was worried about pushing out to 3200, but was not allowed to use the flash so I had to take the risk.

Ian.

Canon 5DIII | BG-E11 | Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art | 24-105mm f4L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II | x1.4 & x2 III | 430EX
Yongnuo YN-622C | Kenko Tubes | LEE Filters | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3+498RC2, 694CX

flickr (external link)

AHWagner
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 09, 2012 14:25 |  #968

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7056/7061687201_932f9171a7_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …_and__designs/7​061687201/  (external link)
Sea Turtle Skeleton [04.03.12] (external link) by AHWagner Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5450/7061723541_51f34e3369_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …_and__designs/7​061723541/  (external link)
Crocodile Skeleton [04.03.12] (external link) by AHWagner Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5231/6915690840_701ccca3c3_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …_and__designs/6​915690840/  (external link)
Monkey Skeleton [04.03.12] (external link) by AHWagner Photography (external link), on Flickr

www.andrewhwagner.com (external link)
Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Facebook (external link)

st3venb
211 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 09, 2012 14:57 as a reply to  @ post 14236191 |  #969

My wife made cupcakes for me for my birthday.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

reeses.cupcakes-33 (external link) by st3venb (external link), on Flickr

They had this stuffed in the middle of them...
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

cookiebutter-reeses-2-39 (external link) by st3venb (external link), on Flickr

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
my humble sites:
{flickr (external link) } { seeingflashes.com (external link) }

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 09, 2012 15:06 |  #970

LHeyden wrote in post #14231704 (external link)
Can someone please share the link (or send via PM) that has the recommended settings that are ideal? I'm looking for the best deal on a 7D and will probably purchase one by the end of the week. Thanks for sharing. The above photo is awesome!

There is no such thing as an "ideal" way to have your function settings adjusted, nor any real "recommended" settings that are "ideal" - it there were, there would be no purpose in having all the flexibility the camera offers.

Someone posted a link to one person's way of having his camera set up in response to your question, but it was apparently for his type of shooting (I think for "birding") - But no two people shoot exactly alike - having a style means you should know what settings will be most useful for you. Not yet having developed a style of your own means you should just experiment with as many settings as you can - it can't be something you will be able to determine either based on the recommendations of one other person or even on your own without giving it some time. Expecting to get the camera in the mail and getting every setting to be "ideal" for you is unrealistic - (especially if you have to ask).

The post someone put a link to for example...the "My Menu" for that person makes NO SENSE AT ALL to me - why would anyone need to have "enable live view" on that menu when there is a dedicated switch that turns it on and off and has to be used anyway? Same with having "Format" on that screen - I format my CF cards after I upload the contents every time - but it's certainly NOT something I would ever be in such a rush to do that I'd need it on the "my menu" home menu - nor do I think anyone would (same with "enable live view - it's just redundant"). I have (for example) "mirror lockup" and "AEB" because they are features I use and buried in the menus - and when I use them I am likely to want fast access to them (even "mirror lockup" is something that I really don't need that fast access to - it's not something I am likely to find myself needing suddenly or unexpectedly....it's just there because I had extra room and had everything else I do need fast access to already on that menu. I could change it to flash compensation, but I can access that using the top LCD so that too would be kind of redundant. - Besides other than using a single flash for outdoor fill light I generally use three or more Speedlites, so I HAVE to set up the ratios and groups using the full flash menu - using FEC alone isn't enough (and as I said, can be done easily and quickly using the top LCD control).

I could go on, but every function setting gives you choices that are right or wrong (or less right or less wrong) for each person or each style or each subject or day or mood, etc.

Find what works for you - if that's too much work or too complicated to work your way through, then really it would make more sense for you to either leave everything at the factory default settings (some of which make no sense - but might not matter to you at first) - or maybe you'd be better off using a camera with less flexibility. It's all these settings that make the camera attractive to some people and to others are referred to as a "steep learning curve"...it's NOT a "steep learning curve" - not the advanced focus system, not any part of it - for those who understand the advantages and disadvantages of a particular focus setting, it makes perfect sense and is very intuitive. To those who need to develop their skills, it may take patience and (apparently) some frustration.

It isn't the right camera for everyone. There is a reason that Canon makes other cameras with less flexibility in settings - they even know that there are a lot of people who want to buy higher end cameras, but are not really going to use the features so they include automatic settings - the 7D has three auto settings - "basic green box" - "creative green box" and the "P" setting - which I believe override all of the special functions....and are ideal for 99% of camera owners.

The 7D does NOT have the "pre programmed" modes that the Rebels have (and I believe ..not completely sure...that the 60D also has)...settings where you can place the camera in "sports mode" or "portrait mode", or "night mode" "beach mode", "sunset".... (etc.).

Anyone who buys a camera like the 7D SHOULD know how to control their settings, but many (maybe most) don't - so Canon compromises and gives the three auto modes ("P" mode giving some degree of control)...

It does have three custom positions where you can set the camera to use three different "recipes" of custom functions. Really that should be enough for anyone - but if there were a single "ideal" recipe, there would be no need for the three custom positions - let alone all the fn menu choices.

Use the camera and be patient - read the owner's manual - get a book like Magic Lantern or any of a number of books specific to the 7D and LEARN what the custom functions do and LEARN why there are choices.

If you want an "ideal" way to set up your camera and you expect to get a difinitive answer, you will be very disappointed - There are way too many possible combinations and it's not unlikely that you can ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers. I don't know how many possible combinations of settings there are, but I'd bet that it's far more than 100...

It's a matter of preference, and completely subjective....there just isn't an objective way to decide "what's best" - or "ideal" - your question has no "right" answer....

Best of luck, have patience and enjoy the camera.

Peace,
D.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

sturo
91 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2012 17:48 |  #971

here one from me :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sturo
91 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2012 17:49 |  #972

and here another one :-)

BTW the lens is a EF-S 18-135

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sturo
91 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2012 17:58 |  #973

Delija wrote in post #14236636 (external link)
There is no such thing as an "ideal" way to have your function settings adjusted, nor any real "recommended" settings that are "ideal" - it there were, there would be no purpose in having all the flexibility the camera offers.

Someone posted a link to one person's way of having his camera set up in response to your question, but it was apparently for his type of shooting (I think for "birding") - But no two people shoot exactly alike - having a style means you should know what settings will be most useful for you. Not yet having developed a style of your own means you should just experiment with as many settings as you can - it can't be something you will be able to determine either based on the recommendations of one other person or even on your own without giving it some time. Expecting to get the camera in the mail and getting every setting to be "ideal" for you is unrealistic - (especially if you have to ask).

The post someone put a link to for example...the "favorites" menu for that person makes NO SENSE AT ALL to me - why would anyone need to have "enable live view" on that menu when there is a dedicated switch that turns it on and off and has to be used anyway? Same with having "Format" on that screen - I format my CF cards after I upload the contents every time - but it's certainly NOT something I would ever be in such a rush to do that I'd need it on my "favorites" home menu - nor do I think anyone would (same with "enable live view - it's just redundant"). I have (for example) "mirror lockup" and "AEB" because they are features I use and buried in the menus - and when I use them I am likely to want fast access to them (even "mirror lockup" is something that I really don't need that fast access to - it's not something I am likely to find myself needing suddenly or unexpectedly....it's just there because I had extra room and had everything else I do need fast access to already on that menu. I could change it to flash compensation, but I can access that using the top LCD so that too would be kind of redundant. - Besides other than using a single flash for outdoor fill light I generally use three or more Speedlites, so I HAVE to set up the ratios and groups using the full flash menu - using FEC alone isn't enough (and as I said, can be done easily and quickly using the top LCD control).

I could go on, but every function setting gives you choices that are right or wrong (or less right or less wrong) for each person or each style or each subject or day or mood, etc.

Find what works for you - if that's too much work or too complicated to work your way through, then really it would make more sense for you to either leave everything at the factory default settings (some of which make no sense - but might not matter to you at first) - or maybe you'd be better off using a camera with less flexibility. It's all these settings that make the camera attractive to some people and to others are referred to as a "steep learning curve"...it's NOT a "steep learning curve" - not the advanced focus system, not any part of it - for those who understand the advantages and disadvantages of a particular focus setting, it makes perfect sense and is very intuitive. To those who need to develop their skills, it may take patience and (apparently) some frustration.

It isn't the right camera for everyone. There is a reason that Canon makes other cameras with less flexibility in settings - they even know that there are a lot of people who want to buy higher end cameras, but are not really going to use the features so they include automatic settings - the 7D has three auto settings - "basic green box" - "creative green box" and the "P" setting - which I believe override all of the special functions....and are ideal for 99% of camera owners.

The 7D does NOT have the "pre programmed" modes that the Rebels have (and I believe ..not completely sure...that the 60D also has)...settings where you can place the camera in "sports mode" or "portrait mode", or "night mode" "beach mode", "sunset".... (etc.).

Anyone who buys a camera like the 7D SHOULD know how to control their settings, but many (maybe most) don't - so Canon compromises and gives the three auto modes ("P" mode giving some degree of control)...

It does have three custom positions where you can set the camera to use three different "recipes" of custom functions. Really that should be enough for anyone - but if there were a single "ideal" recipe, there would be no need for the three custom positions - let alone all the fn menu choices.

Use the camera and be patient - read the owner's manual - get a book like Magic Lantern or any of a number of books specific to the 7D and LEARN what the custom functions do and LEARN why there are choices.

If you want an "ideal" way to set up your camera and you expect to get a difinitive answer, you will be very disappointed - There are way too many possible combinations and it's not unlikely that you can ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers. I don't know how many possible combinations of settings there are, but I'd bet that it's far more than 100...

It's a matter of preference, and completely subjective....there just isn't an objective way to decide "what's best" - or "ideal" - your question has no "right" answer....

Best of luck, have patience and enjoy the camera.

Peace,
D.

Peace to you too. I am trying to explain what you've already said, but cuz i'm italian i can't find the right words. you did it for me :lol::lol::lol:

Gadget-Guy
720 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 09, 2012 18:30 as a reply to  @ sturo's post |  #974

One with the 7D and 400mm f2.8 IS L from a very wet and cold Brands Hatch British Superbike meeting today of John McGuinness in the Superstock 1000 race.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

Cannot
526 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 09, 2012 18:49 as a reply to  @ Gadget-Guy's post |  #975

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7115/7058346431_d2797655d2_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyang_wu/70583​46431/  (external link)
4-8-12 @ Overland Park (external link) by ShyangWunique (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,707,631 views & 3 likes for this thread
-= 7D Post Pictures Here (3)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.