Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 09 Apr 2012 (Monday) 02:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropped camera bag - with a full load

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,263 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 09, 2012 12:37 |  #16

Ouch!

Somewhere I've got a broken Canon lens cap.... 72mm. There's a scratch or two on the lens hood too (which was reversed for storage at the time), but that's easily replaced.The lens they were on on is fine. There was no filter under the cap, either.

No, I wouldn't leave lenses in my bag without caps. But I also don't put silly "protection" filters on them and leave them there all the time (I do use good quality UV filters in situations where they might actually do some good... shooting sand storms, mud wrestling, motocross races, paintball, etc.)

The coatings on a damaged lens element aren't practical to repair... it required removing all the old coatings and then reapplying equally good new coatings (that's done with a vapor process). It would probably cost more than replacing the entire lens, to have done. And there's a high failure rate anyway, disassembling cemented lens groups and polishing off old coatings. Any actual scratch in the glass itself would not be possible to polish out, that would change the precision shape of the element and ruin the lens.

Canon would simply replace the whole front element (or group). Now, some Canon lenses have plain "protective" front elements, for lower cost replacement. Unfortunately, the 70-200/2.8 II is not one of those. Looking at the lens diagram I can't tell if the front one is a single element that can be replaced separately, or if it's part of a group of elements. If it's just the single element, the replacement might be a little less expensive even though it's an optically complex piece of glass. Canon might be able to quote on the phone or by email. Or look for a local repair shop and have them do it.

If you don't have it fixe, you likely won't see much effect from that damaged coating. It may cause some flare in certain situations, but other than that will largely disappear.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links
Mikey1
213 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 09, 2012 14:32 |  #17

I dropped the 18-55 IS from my lap to a concrete floor. Had a hood on it, and it fell right on it...but it still bounced and rolled..picked her up, put it on the camera and checked her out...no worries!

Canon 50D--40D--70-200 F2.8L--50MM 1.8--85 1.8 USM--18-55IS--430EXII x 2--RF602s--AMBITION

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 09, 2012 17:06 |  #18

DreDaze wrote in post #14235709 (external link)
i somehow joined the dropped group yesterday as well...although i don't even know when how it dropped...but i've got a broken 35f2 i have to send in...as well as the OS going crazy on my sigma 150-500OS...it's been a bad 24hrs...off to the post office for me...

Oh no! That's terrible!

amanathia.zenfolio.com

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 09, 2012 21:48 |  #19

Sorry to hear about your tale of woe. There's a saying about there being two kinds of photographers. Some have dropped their gear; the rest are going to.

A couple of years back, I was on a phototrip in South Africa and managed to roll my entire camera bag (including laptop) down a triple-floor airport escalator... something like 30' and it bounced from step to step. That was a true heart-in-mouth experience.... and it all survived.

And yet a 2" fall onto a carpet broke a "protective filter" - I was lucky to escape without a damaged lens but it was a close thing. Yep - I've learned about thin glass protection.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

wcleung
225 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 09, 2012 23:20 |  #20

I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. Bad things happen in many ways. The filters were there for a reason. You wouldn't have known what you need to protect against on a particular day.
It may be worth stuffing a few thin plastic bags in the camera bag to line the floor in the bathroom.
Debbie

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 09, 2012 23:39 |  #21

Sorry to hear about your accident :(

We're the lenses face down in your bag? As in front element toward the floor?

Also did you have other lenses facing the same way that dropped but didn't get damaged and did they have filters on them?

Thanks

5D Mark II | 7D
24L II | 50L | 100L Macro
Some other stuff
Can't find a Lee filter holder? - Cokin Modification for wide angle lenses

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 09, 2012 23:56 as a reply to  @ post 14235709 |  #22

I think the thing I've learned from your mishap is I need a bag big enough to allow me to store bodies with lenses attached with the hood facing out.

It sure sucks to see damage like this .. I'm not sure if having a filter saved the day or made matters worse.

My Gear List  :p

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,421 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 10, 2012 00:39 |  #23

Perfect_10 wrote in post #14239494 (external link)
I think the thing I've learned from your mishap is I need a bag big enough to allow me to store bodies with lenses attached with the hood facing out.

It sure sucks to see damage like this .. I'm not sure if having a filter saved the day or made matters worse.

The lesson is to get a bag with adequate padding, apparently TT Retro in stock configuration is not, see my earlier post on alternative padding.

Andy_Cam
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2012 01:57 as a reply to  @ Andrew_WOT's post |  #24

DreDaze wrote in post #14235709 (external link)
i somehow joined the dropped group yesterday as well...although i don't even know when how it dropped...but i've got a broken 35f2 i have to send in...as well as the OS going crazy on my sigma 150-500OS...it's been a bad 24hrs...off to the post office for me...

Ouch! Good luck getting it sorted.

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #14235651 (external link)
ThinkTank Retro is quite underpadded. Contact TT customer support, they will send you thicker bottom pad, I got one and it's so much better than stock, plus keeps bag from sagging in the middle.
So sorry about the damage. :(

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a go.

Mikey1 wrote in post #14236462 (external link)
I dropped the 18-55 IS from my lap to a concrete floor. Had a hood on it, and it fell right on it...but it still bounced and rolled..picked her up, put it on the camera and checked her out...no worries!

mattmorgan44 wrote in post #14239429 (external link)
Sorry to hear about your accident :(

We're the lenses face down in your bag? As in front element toward the floor?

Also did you have other lenses facing the same way that dropped but didn't get damaged and did they have filters on them?

Thanks

Yes, I had the UV filter on the 24-105, face down, the 70-200 was also face down with the 5DII mounted. I also had my 85mm on its side at the bottom, and it has survived without any problems.

I may well store my lenses the other way up from now on, although, I won't be putting my bag anywhere that has a risk of this happening again.

Thanks to all for the best wishes. :)

Gear | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

8,109 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dropped camera bag - with a full load
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.