Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Apr 2012 (Monday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you going to return your 5D3 for the light issue?

this thread is locked
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 10, 2012 00:53 |  #16

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14239483 (external link)
Why? It's not an issue. Look at the update from Canon Rumors

I think he said virtually all other Canon bodies act the same way.

Actually no. He showed that only the 5D3 does. But it's not an issue (under his testing condition).

I can see how it "can" become an issue when one is shooting night-time landscapes and left the LCD on while metering. But that would only affect "auto/semi-auto exposure settings". If you're shooting in "M" mode in those situations, won't affect you. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 10, 2012 00:58 |  #17

Not ANOTHER thread about this. :rolleyes: Do NOT return your 5D3 for this "issue" as it is NOT an issue.

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,472 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 10, 2012 01:29 as a reply to  @ bikeboynate's post |  #18

I had to return mine for a different reason. When I got it the strap wasn't actually attached to the camera! I hung the strap around my neck but every time I let go of the camera it fell on the ground. I can't believe such a serious manufacturing defect could slip through. My research indicates that this problem occurs with all new cameras. I have written to canon suggesting that they fix the problem by supplying each customer with a small child (with a net) who will walk around with you and catch the camera every time it drops.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 10, 2012 01:57 |  #19

I don't own one yet, but it wouldn't make me hesitate to buy one.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 10, 2012 02:05 |  #20

wookiee2cu wrote in post #14239329 (external link)
doesn't it only happen when you don't have a lens on and the body cap on? I think people are going out of their way to try and find problems.

It happens anytime there is strong light pointed at the top of the camera and very little light coming in the front. So basically night shooting with the top panel light on, or with a flashlight or similar pointed at the top of the camera. It might also be possible to make it happen if you are standing just barely in sunlight while shooting into a dark area.

In all cases shooting manual and chimping will resolve the problem, as will not having a bright light or the top panel light on while shooting in the dark.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

dho81
282 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 10, 2012 02:09 |  #21

i'm far more concerned about my AF not working while the lens cap is on.

My Portfolio (external link)
My Blog (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 10, 2012 02:15 |  #22

Tried to mimic results from the net on my mark 3 - nada.
Not an issue on my camera. I am sure if there is an issue and canon confirms this, there would be a service notice out, just like the mirror issue with the 5D.
Canon serviced, cleaned and calibrated my 5D for free after 5 years of ownership. I did not have any issue with th mirror but sent my camera for service and they took care of it. I had my camera back in less than a week.
So, I am sure they would do everybody right, if this is confirmed to be an issue.

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 10, 2012 02:47 |  #23

Dan Marchant wrote in post #14239814 (external link)
I had to return mine for a different reason. When I got it the strap wasn't actually attached to the camera! I hung the strap around my neck but every time I let go of the camera it fell on the ground. I can't believe such a serious manufacturing defect could slip through. My research indicates that this problem occurs with all new cameras. I have written to canon suggesting that they fix the problem by supplying each customer with a small child (with a net) who will walk around with you and catch the camera every time it drops.

IcwutUdidthar :cool: trolololol

Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

igora90
923 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 10, 2012 02:54 |  #24

Dan Marchant wrote in post #14239814 (external link)

Ouch. I just fell of my chair.

2x Canon 6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 135 F/2.0
www.iirorautiainen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

dailydriver
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 10, 2012 04:00 |  #25

Mine did the same with the cap on and viewfinder covered, but last night I shot some test in my family room with a 69w bulb on only in another room and the problem was non existent. Shined a bright flashlight on top LCD = no problem also. Problem does not present itself when lenses cap is off, even in the dark. The light through the viewfinder and lenses is still stronger than the LCD backlight and flashlight shining through it.

So therefore, the only time it will affect you is when you shoot with the cap on and the viewffinder coverwd or the moon and stars are gone and there is a power outage city wide. :-)

5D MkIII Gripped | S100
EF 24-70 2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
600 EX RT | ST-E3-RT | Yongnou YN560

Marco2011
139 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 10, 2012 05:06 |  #26

What a dissappointment. you pay over 3k dollars and you have faulty camera? mmmmm thats why my boss always told me not to hurry to buy a new product as soon launched in the market. wait and see what others say then buy

Eos 550D Gripped :D Canon Speedlite 430ex ii :D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM :D Canon 18-55mm kit lens :(

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 10, 2012 05:42 |  #27

Marco2011 wrote in post #14240278 (external link)
What a dissappointment. you pay over 3k dollars and you have faulty camera? mmmmm thats why my boss always told me not to hurry to buy a new product as soon launched in the market. wait and see what others say then buy

You realize that other cameras have exhibited this issue as well right? Its not even exclusive to Canon, Nikon has the same problem with the meters as well.

Marco2011
139 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 10, 2012 05:52 |  #28

bikeboynate wrote in post #14240345 (external link)
You realize that other cameras have exhibited this issue as well right? Its not even exclusive to Canon, Nikon has the same problem with the meters as well.

Man why would you buy a camera with such a problem paying some big money???

Eos 550D Gripped :D Canon Speedlite 430ex ii :D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM :D Canon 18-55mm kit lens :(

Art ­ Vandelay
329 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 10, 2012 06:13 |  #29

Marco2011 wrote in post #14240362 (external link)
Man why would you buy a camera with such a problem paying some big money???

What problem ? when is it ever going to affect you in a real use situation ?

7D & 5DmkIII, 10-17 Tokina, 17-40 f/4, 17-55 f/2.8, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f/2.8, EX1.4 II, EX 2.0 II
Aquatech CO-7 housing.
Gallery (external link)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 10, 2012 06:59 |  #30

nicksan wrote in post #14239333 (external link)
It depends whether the next wedding I shoot requires me to shoot with the lens cap on.

Exactly!

Jason

sponsored links

7,259 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are you going to return your 5D3 for the light issue?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.