Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 01:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this sufficient for a wedding?

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 07, 2012 00:46 |  #16

gblader wrote in post #14206949 (external link)
My brother's getting married, and he is willing to buy me any lens I want to shoot his wedding - nice brother :D

I have a 7D + 17-55 2.8 + 35 2.0 + 100 f2
+ xti + 10-20 Wigma

I guess my question is really, should I buy the 70-200mm 2.8 mi and sell the 100 f2?

We wouldn't. That's more than enough gear. Just go out and shoot from now on.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

sponsored links
cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 07, 2012 06:57 |  #17

brokensocial wrote in post #14223904 (external link)
We wouldn't. That's more than enough gear. Just go out and shoot from now on.

Note this day in history:

This is the first time that any photographer has ever been told they have "enough gear" (by someone other than darling wife or husband). Now, if the OP agrees, I think that will cause the time-space continuum to shatter.

When did the Mayan calendar end--today?

:lol:

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 09, 2012 20:25 |  #18

cpam.pix wrote in post #14224538 (external link)
Note this day in history:

This is the first time that any photographer has ever been told they have "enough gear" (by someone other than darling wife or husband).

hahahaha so true
i'd swap the 100/f2 for a 70-200 if i were in your shoes.

and good luck, you are a good brother!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Panoz
195 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 09, 2012 20:29 as a reply to  @ bigarchi's post |  #19

If you're covering what you need to, you won't have TIME to use all those lenses. Changing lenses at a wedding stops you from shooting and can introduce dust on the CCD/CMOS, so don't do it.

By FAR AND AWAY you need a backup camera body, not more glass. And flash is essential. To be brutally frank, you are not prepared to shoot a wedding at this point. Please defer to someone else and ask if you can assist. Don't screw up a family member's big day learning what works and what doesn't.

Canon G12, Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 09, 2012 20:47 |  #20

Panoz wrote in post #14238427 (external link)
If you're covering what you need to, you won't have TIME to use all those lenses. Changing lenses at a wedding stops you from shooting and can introduce dust on the CCD/CMOS, so don't do it.

That's a good one. :lol::lol::lol:

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 10, 2012 00:22 |  #21

bigarchi wrote in post #14238402 (external link)
hahahaha so true
i'd swap the 100/f2 for a 70-200 if i were in your shoes.

and good luck, you are a good brother!

If you can find someone who would do an even swap - do it and FAST. Then, run away.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 10, 2012 11:57 |  #22

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #14239597 (external link)
If you can find someone who would do an even swap - do it and FAST. Then, run away.

haha, yeah, that would be somethin' :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 10, 2012 12:03 |  #23

Panoz wrote in post #14238427 (external link)

By FAR AND AWAY you need a backup camera body, not more glass. And flash is essential. To be brutally frank, you are not prepared to shoot a wedding at this point. Please defer to someone else and ask if you can assist. Don't screw up a family member's big day learning what works and what doesn't.

not to be a d*ck, but is your g12 your backup?
for my first wedding, my backup was a film body, so i'm not knocking it, but you're coming off a bit harsh here.
I'm just thinking you must have much more gear than is in your signature is all.

and if you don't swap lenses because you are afraid of dust getting on the sensor, do you also not kneel for a lower perspective because you might scuff your pants? seems like a pretty limiting mindset. people swap lenses all the fricken time.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links

3,193 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this sufficient for a wedding?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.