Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Mar 2012 (Friday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

5D III - Let's talk settings!

BHollis
63 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 09, 2012 16:06 as a reply to  @ post 14236830 |  #16

Let's see if I can remember all the changes I've made . . .

Removed AF start from the shutter button--using AF-On to start focus with the selected focus point
Set * button to start focus with the registered focus point
Moved exposure lock to Mfn button
Set main control wheel to select AF point area (rather than Mfn button)--this way I can go backwards and forwards rather than just forwards
Set separate registered focus points for portrait and landscape
Set joystick to select AF point without first having to push AF select button
Set "Set" button to magnify at 100% at the focus point

hendelsesloysa
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2012 16:07 |  #17

Saxi wrote in post #14142149 (external link)
What settings you change that are a big deal to you? I'm not talking basic stuff, stuff that made a big difference on how you use the cameras on a day by day basis.

I changed the multi-function button (press in middle) to reset AF point to center. This is pretty useful to quickly set the af point back to center. Not much else you can use the button for.

There is no need to have a function to reset AF to center: I have set the registered AF point to the center. Whenever I change the AF point, I just press the AF-ON button to focus on the center AF. That way I can focus on both AF point with a touch of a button,

facedodge
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 09, 2012 16:08 |  #18

4x4rock wrote in post #14236902 (external link)
The very first things I changed.

Disable shooting without CF card
Turn off AF confirmation beep
AF to af-on and shutter button to Start Meter
Switch top wheel to AV and big wheel to Tv

+1 on disable beep and switch top wheel to AV and big wheel to Tv.

I prefer to have the AF-On button be AF-Off. Find I get the same result, but need to push it much less. It's much more frequent that I want to focus than I don't want to and I'd rather stretch my thumb a little as possible.

Still need to set up my custom modes (ie. C1 C2 C3) Anyone have any ideas for that? I'm thinking Portrait, Landscape, Sports.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

facedodge
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 09, 2012 16:10 |  #19

hendelsesloysa wrote in post #14236974 (external link)
There is no need to have a function to reset AF to center: I have set the registered AF point to the center. Whenever I change the AF point, I just press the AF-ON button to focus on the center AF. That way I can focus on both AF point with a touch of a button,

Not sure what setting it is, but i have push the thumb stick in, moves it to center. This is in addition to registered AF point.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

hendelsesloysa
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2012 16:15 |  #20

facedodge wrote in post #14236987 (external link)
Not sure what setting it is, but i have push the thumb stick in, moves it to center. This is in addition to registered AF point.

I didn't know you could push the thumb stick/joystick in. Suppose it will reset to center, if you have programmet the thumb stick to select AF points. Haven't seen a customer setting for this button ...?

hendelsesloysa
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2012 16:18 |  #21

facedodge wrote in post #14236984 (external link)
+1 on disable beep and switch top wheel to AV and big wheel to Tv.

I prefer to have the AF-On button be AF-Off. Find I get the same result, but need to push it much less. It's much more frequent that I want to focus than I don't want to and I'd rather stretch my thumb a little as possible.

Still need to set up my custom modes (ie. C1 C2 C3) Anyone have any ideas for that? I'm thinking Portrait, Landscape, Sports.

What's the point with AF-off? You can lock AF by holding down the AF button.

Would also need some tips on the custom modes. I have set C3 to servo mode with multiple shots, and C2 to point AF focus and point metering.

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 09, 2012 17:23 |  #22
bannedPermanently

krb wrote in post #14143487 (external link)
Just to clarify, doing this (or setting it to 15 or 9) reduces the amount of focus points that you can select, but the other points are still there and will still work if you are using AF point expansion.

I've been reading conflicting stories about expansion for three years -- still am unsure when/if enabling it is a good idea. Some claim that it helps lock AF especially when the subject is moving, others that expansion points are only used if/when the selected point fails, and still others that they can lead to missed AF by locking onto a part of the subject that's closer than the selected point, eg. I put the selected point on my son's eye, but an expansion point AF's on his hair because it's closer.

What's your experience been?

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 09, 2012 17:33 |  #23

4x4rock wrote in post #14236902 (external link)
The very first things I changed.

Disable shooting without CF card
Turn off AF confirmation beep
AF to af-on and shutter button to Start Meter
Switch top wheel to AV and big wheel to Tv

Me too, weird.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

dsteve
124 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 09, 2012 20:31 |  #24

anthony11 wrote in post #14237373 (external link)
I've been reading conflicting stories about expansion for three years -- still am unsure when/if enabling it is a good idea. Some claim that it helps lock AF especially when the subject is moving, others that expansion points are only used if/when the selected point fails, and still others that they can lead to missed AF by locking onto a part of the subject that's closer than the selected point, eg. I put the selected point on my son's eye, but an expansion point AF's on his hair because it's closer.

What's your experience been?

Those are all valid possibilities, yeah. Depends on the situation.

A few thoughts...

I don't see the point in AF expansion in one shot AF mode, unless for some reason you can't keep the subject within the single AF point...which means you should be using servo anyway, right?

Likewise, same with ai servo mode if you can keep the AF target within the single AF point, unless you need to recompose and therefore shift it to a different AF point...at which point you probably need to use 61-point mode, not an expansion mode.

So, the real use of expansion modes is when you're in ai servo mode and you can't keep the AF target on a single AF point, so you need the help.

However, at that point, you better have more than a sliver of DoF or you might end up with the focal point being off.

So...a couple of ways to think about it...

Option 1: use single point when that's all you need. Use a single AF point (or spot point!) on very shallow DoF. Use another mode if you need the help keeping on target and DoF is large enough to cover more AF points.

Option 2: use expansion point unless DoF is shallow enough to be an issue, and then use single/single spot AF point.

Anyone think differently?

5D Mark III | 7D | 30D | 10D | D30
10-22 | 16-35L | 35L | 24-105L | 24-70F2.8L II | 70-200F4L IS | 100-400L

RLipp69
589 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Apr 09, 2012 21:56 |  #25

dho81 wrote in post #14143258 (external link)
LOVE the Focus Priority settings under the AF -- it basically tells the camera not to shoot unless your focus is locked on, even in servo mode. So if you hold down the shutter button while servo is on, it won't fire until it has focus. You can either tell it to prioritize taking a shot, or ensuring focus... AF on this thing is freaking killer... can't wait to shoot a wedding with these guys

Looked for this under AF didn't see it

Canon 5DMKIII, 40D,EF 70-200 F/2.8L IS II,24-70 F/2.8L,35mmF/1.4[COLOR=red]L, EFS-580EXll.Pcket wizzard mini & Flex,Bees and beauty dish

RLipp69
589 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Apr 09, 2012 22:00 |  #26

Never mind I found it

Canon 5DMKIII, 40D,EF 70-200 F/2.8L IS II,24-70 F/2.8L,35mmF/1.4[COLOR=red]L, EFS-580EXll.Pcket wizzard mini & Flex,Bees and beauty dish

facedodge
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 10, 2012 07:07 |  #27

dsteve wrote in post #14238444 (external link)
Those are all valid possibilities, yeah. Depends on the situation.

A few thoughts...

I don't see the point in AF expansion in one shot AF mode, unless for some reason you can't keep the subject within the single AF point...which means you should be using servo anyway, right?

Likewise, same with ai servo mode if you can keep the AF target within the single AF point, unless you need to recompose and therefore shift it to a different AF point...at which point you probably need to use 61-point mode, not an expansion mode.

So, the real use of expansion modes is when you're in ai servo mode and you can't keep the AF target on a single AF point, so you need the help.

However, at that point, you better have more than a sliver of DoF or you might end up with the focal point being off.

So...a couple of ways to think about it...

Option 1: use single point when that's all you need. Use a single AF point (or spot point!) on very shallow DoF. Use another mode if you need the help keeping on target and DoF is large enough to cover more AF points.

Option 2: use expansion point unless DoF is shallow enough to be an issue, and then use single/single spot AF point.

Anyone think differently?

I used expansion in one shot mode the other day (Easter), but that was because I had my father taking shots and thought that would make it easier for him than a tiny dot. He doesn't know how to recompose. Shots came out great.

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 10, 2012 12:39 |  #28
bannedPermanently

dsteve wrote in post #14238444 (external link)

What about shooting a kid indoors? Shallow DoF because of the aperture required, and erratically moving target.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

dsteve
124 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 10, 2012 13:21 |  #29

anthony11 wrote in post #14242137 (external link)
What about shooting a kid indoors? Shallow DoF because of the aperture required, and erratically moving target.

In my experience so far, ai servo isn't going to perform miracles. I've had awful results indoors with ai servo in low available light and shallow DoF at shutter speeds fast enough to avoid motion blur. Like: f/2, 1/200s, ISO 10000...out of focus, lots of noise. So, move it a stop down to f/1.4...still ISO 6400-ish and out of focus.

The solution is still a work in progress for me, but it looks like you simply need more light, and possibly need to increase the DoF, still. Anyone getting good results with ai servo at f/1.4 in good light, even?

I started using flash (550EX I had lying around) last night, and getting much better results.

Instead of f/2, 1/200, ISO 10000, now we're talking maybe f/4, 1/200, ISO 400 as a starting point, and probably better AF results from having a bit more DoF for the AF to work with. I haven't had a chance to check ai servo tracking, but flash recycle times mean not getting the fps...which is ok with me but may not be for some.

This is starting to be a thread hijack (sorry), so we really should move it under the other thread (Mark III AF settings). Here's the link to my response that matches my comments above:

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1171​151&page=4

5D Mark III | 7D | 30D | 10D | D30
10-22 | 16-35L | 35L | 24-105L | 24-70F2.8L II | 70-200F4L IS | 100-400L

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 11, 2012 07:10 |  #30

Set high ISO noise reduction to low.

Jason

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

77,487 views & 0 likes for this thread, 98 members have posted to it and it is followed by 28 members.
5D III - Let's talk settings!
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.