Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 10, 2012 03:24 |  #3556

Oh, I see. So it was only $10000.00 then.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

sponsored links
Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 10, 2012 03:29 |  #3557

Yep, a bargain :rolleyes:

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 10, 2012 03:55 |  #3558

The first one I sold was in my last week working in Scotland. Paid cash, by a nerdy looking 19yr old kid. He came in almost every few days for months waiting til it arrived in stock from the first batch and just dropped notes over the counter.

He's probably an internet zillionnaire or something.

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,665 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 10, 2012 04:10 |  #3559

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #14240083 (external link)
Yep, a bargain :rolleyes:

given it's introduction date, $10K is quite cheap really. the 1DX looks like being only $100 or so cheaper...

Be interesting to know who the original owner was and wether the camera ever earned it's keep, proper like.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,721 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 10, 2012 04:34 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #3560

yeah these people with 1D xxxx cameras just mostly gear heads :rolleyes:

Hell just checked mine $12,200 ....... would I do it again ......HELL YES :)
In the long run its saved me money ....... cant afford to upgrade anymore

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 10, 2012 04:50 |  #3561

joeseph wrote in post #14240158 (external link)
given it's introduction date, $10K is quite cheap really. the 1DX looks like being only $100 or so cheaper...

Be interesting to know who the original owner was and wether the camera ever earned it's keep, proper like.

I know who it was (I obscured the name) Wedding tog & presumably it did earn its keep. He had upgraded to the Mk3 & the Mk2 was back-up. He then went to a pair of 5DMk2's.

tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 10, 2012 04:55 |  #3562

My D700s were an awesome buy, from memory about $3.5K each. Roll them down hills, drop them off car rooves, they still work fine... though I'll try not to make a habit of that.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 10, 2012 07:20 |  #3563

weka2000 wrote in post #14240209 (external link)
In the long run its saved me money .......

How do you figure that out of interest?

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

weka2000
20,721 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 10, 2012 14:46 |  #3564

Sancho wrote in post #14240558 (external link)
How do you figure that out of interest?

Cause I cant afford to upgrade any more :)

They are going 2nd hand for 4500-5500. So my loss would be hudge one Im not willing to make so I will keep till it dies. Ive had it for 4 years now and there is nothing it cant do that I need it to do.

Before this camera they would get upgraded everytime 20D and 30 D lasted 6 months 5D about a year, 1dmk2 6 months.

It was what I always set my eyes on. I nearly got the 1Dsmk2 a couple of months before mk3 was released glad I didnt.

weka2000
20,721 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 10, 2012 23:58 as a reply to  @ weka2000's post |  #3565

camera goes into canon tommorow. If they find oil its free if not they will let me know cost. Been very helpful.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 11, 2012 00:59 |  #3566

I hope they fix it Tony, really. As much as it might be an 'old' camera now, it still deserves to work, as opposed to give sh!t images because they're being wasters.

Your comments about it saving you money are possibly the most flawed cobblers I've heard in ages though. How can that have saved you money? All you needed to do was not replace the lesser cameras in the same way and you'd have saved a metric tonne more, and it's not because the 1Ds is a better camera, it just isn't. Someone told me since the launch of the 5D2, the number of 1Ds3's sold in Europe was below 100. I have *no* idea if that's true or not but it's entirely believable.

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,900 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 11, 2012 02:29 |  #3567

If I'd spent $12500 on a camera, I think my wife would have left me, and I would want her to think it had saved me money too.
On the other hand, If you look at what other people spend on sports / hobbies, maybe you can somehow justify it.
I mean.. What does a good motorbike cost, or Dave you could probably say what motor racing costs. Or a really good Golf set-up.
That said, I need a new mountain bike. Like many things, Those I like, I can't afford, and those I can afford, I don't like.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

weka2000
20,721 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 11, 2012 03:58 as a reply to  @ akiwi's post |  #3568

Dave a 5D could never hold up to a 1D outdoors like I use it. Had my 5d fall once and some metal frame around the focus screen fell out. Had the 1Ds tople on tripod twice with out issue except for the scratchs.

as for image quality, dynamic range, ISO and video yes the new 5D's would win but all day in the rain, mud, etc no.

I made it a long term investment 5 yrs plus. At this stage I can see it longer as canon have nothing I want at this point. Nikon d800 I will watch only to see what canon will pull out the hat to get back in the game.

1ds series has taken a big hit with 5Dmk2/mk3 now wonder if D800 will do the same to Dx3/4

semi pro cameras are in big demand cause $5k aint much in todays dollars. The 5D classic was $5400 6 yrs ago

Peter she wasnt happy untill I sold up everything else to pay for it :lol:
I dont spend anywhere near what lads on this thread do on cars $2000 max for me. So yes it all comes down to whats important to you.

There is only 1 camera I covert now so thats easy choice wise ( but dont have the money). 1Ds does everything I need so im happy.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 11, 2012 04:55 |  #3569

Unless you're photographing mud bathing hippos on the end of a slip and slide there's no need for all that weather sealing unless you're on a boat to the Arctic circle. Man I've seen people shoot all bloody day long in torrential downpours with nothing but a chammy leather over their 20D. And as for knocking it over, don't? Or if you do, that's what insurance is for. The thing you could have bought 5 times over with the money saved! ;)

Unless you're shooting 100,000's of images a year or are on the end of the slip and slide, the D3/D4 or 1D is just luxury no one needs and are just talking themselves into. They fall firmly, firmly inside the type of camera very few pros buy these days, too much investment for too little time on top. Mate of mine manages a big studio in Sydney, they have all the gear, the photographers just come in and rent it. Makes better money sense to them. They even bought D800's recently the threshold is so low for many...

Cheers, Dave.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,665 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 11, 2012 05:12 |  #3570

Weka on the end of the slip & slide:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

866,796 views & 725 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.