Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advantages of using ND (neutral density) filters instead of exposure compensation

AmitShinde0511
112 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 11, 2012 13:10 |  #1

I have two Hoya ND filters ND x 8 (3 stops) and ND x 400 (9 stops). If ND filter is ONLY use to stop down light, can we use exposure compensation to do so instead of these expensive filters?
Can’t we achieve long exposure by decreasing f stops in exposure compensation?

What’s the difference between the two?
1) F8, ISO 100, 15 sec exposure, ND x 8 (-3 stops)
2) F8, ISO 100, 15 sec exposure, exposure compensation -3 stops

What benefit will I have using ND filters instead of exposure compensation?

500px (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 11, 2012 13:19 |  #2

ND allows you to hold back light without altering any settings.

In your scenario (assuming you need f/8 and 100 ISO), your minus three-stop exposure compensation comes at the expense of your 15 second shutter speed.

Exposure compensation doesn't happen in a vacuum. Be it shutter speed, aperture or ISO, Some parameter has to give

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 11, 2012 17:47 |  #3

Jay pretty much said it. Even if you stop down a lot on a sunny day, at ISO100, sometimes you will still not be able to get "longer shutter speeds".

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,858 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 11, 2012 18:08 |  #4

Exposure compensation puts a 'fudge factor' (more exposure, less exposure into what a METER suggests. It does NOT alter the amount of light which has to be captured to make a 'proper exposure', it only reinterprets the meter's suggestion (since it can be fooled by a bright subject or a dark subject).

ND filters affect how much light the filter (and the sensor) see, by blocking some of the light.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 11, 2012 22:51 |  #5

A common scenario for use of an ND filter is water that is "active", such as a waterfall or ocean waves, and you want to use a longer shutter speed to show some "blur". However, if you are in good light and if you just use Exposure Compensation then the slow shutter speed will likely "blow out" the whitewater and other highlights. Typically in a well-lit scene you just don't have the range using ISO and aperture to allow you to slow down much.

Another scenario is when people are shooting outdoor and maybe there is a sunset or something else in the background that is bright enough to adversly affect your shooting of a subject in the foreground. Sometimes people shooting things like portraits in a scenario like that will use an ND filter to "tone down" the bright background and a flash to illuminate the subject.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mashimaro
816 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 12, 2012 14:14 |  #6

Another reason for an ND filter is if you want to shoot a large aperture lens wide open in broad day light.

when i shoot with my 85L at F1.2 in bright day light, even at ISO 100, i may be maxing out the shutter speed (8000). an ND filter will help me bring the speeds back down without blowing highlights completely :)

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 12, 2012 14:25 |  #7

Mashimaro wrote in post #14254717 (external link)
Another reason for an ND filter is if you want to shoot a large aperture lens wide open in broad day light.

when i shoot with my 85L at F1.2 in bright day light, even at ISO 100, i may be maxing out the shutter speed (8000). an ND filter will help me bring the speeds back down without blowing highlights completely :)

This is why we'd use them if we got them. I've got an FZ7 I use for personal work, and it's a nice little camera but the lens only stops down to f/8 and the shutter maxes out at 1/1000, which means that on bright sunny days, I can still run out of headroom.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

AmitShinde0511
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 12, 2012 19:42 |  #8

Thanks to all of you. It seems like ND filters is worth and has it's own advantages.

After spend $$$ on my hoya filters, I will continue to use them with piece of mind.

500px (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 12, 2012 20:11 |  #9

Heh! Take good care of that "piece" of your mind:):)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

AmitShinde0511
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 12, 2012 20:28 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #10

ha ha ha ... by all means :lol::lol::lol:

500px (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,558 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 12, 2012 23:47 |  #11

ND filters are also very useful when shooting portraits with strobes in the sun. You have to keep the shutter speed slow enough to allow sync.....ND filters allow you to do this while still allowing you to keep the aperture open enough to isolate the subject.

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,801 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 25, 2013 22:08 |  #12

jra wrote in post #14257456 (external link)
ND filters are also very useful when shooting portraits with strobes in the sun. You have to keep the shutter speed slow enough to allow sync.....ND filters allow you to do this while still allowing you to keep the aperture open enough to isolate the subject.

I needed this answer to justify my purchase today. Not all the time I will be in HSS. I can now use my off camera flash with backlit subjects with confidence.

70D, 70D, SL1, Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,055 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advantages of using ND (neutral density) filters instead of exposure compensation
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.