Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sell Zeiss 50/2 for an AF 50mm macro lens?

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 11, 2012 18:46 |  #1

was mulling selling the manual focus Zeiss 50mm makro for either the Canon 50mm 2.5 or Sigma 50mm 2.8 macros.

main reason being, i like the MFD, but i would also like AF.

mistake? go for it?

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

sponsored links
vgrab
118 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 11, 2012 18:55 |  #2

if ur mainly using it for macro work i think u should keep the zeiss..

flickr (external link)

BobbyT
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 11, 2012 19:00 |  #3

yeah, for macro work you will be manually focusing. And being a owner of the 50 2.5, the af isn't very good. It's not usm.

Gear List

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 11, 2012 19:03 |  #4

I did EXACTLY this. Sold my 50 MP in favor of the Canon 50 f/2.5 CM. I do very little macro and wanted something cheap & light. The Zeiss 50 MP and Canon 50 CM are very different lenses. Zeiss gives better looking images overall (typical Zeiss vs Canon) but with lots of vignetting. The AF on the Canon is a welcome addition but the lens only opens to f/2.5.

I've been on a Zeiss hunt recently and the 50 CM keeps me happy enough that the 50 MP, while on my list, is not the first Zeiss lens I'm looking for.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 11, 2012 19:04 |  #5

Regarding the 50 CM AF performance, I've found it to be accurate enough. Sure it is slow but I've had no issues with its accuracy in normal lighting.

- Keith

mike ­ cabilangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 11, 2012 19:34 |  #6

vgrab wrote in post #14250170 (external link)
if ur mainly using it for macro work i think u should keep the zeiss..

yeah, that's actually the reason, i'm "limited" to doing macro on the zeiss because anything farther away, i can't see if i got it in focus.

BobbyT wrote in post #14250203 (external link)
yeah, for macro work you will be manually focusing. And being a owner of the 50 2.5, the af isn't very good. It's not usm.

wow, all MF on your gear list, was about to ask about the 50 1.8 II vs 50 2.5 AF motor ... similar, or is the macro crappier?

n1as wrote in post #14250233 (external link)
Regarding the 50 CM AF performance, I've found it to be accurate enough. Sure it is slow but I've had no issues with its accuracy in normal lighting.

what about in dark environments?

BobbyT
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 11, 2012 20:04 |  #7

I've owned the 50 1.8II. They do have the same af motor, but it is a lot snappier on the 50 1.8 because the 50 macro has more to move. On the 50 macro, the af has to move the extra weight of the guide which extends out for macro work. Also, the 50 macro is not a true 1:1 magnification lens without the addition of the Canon Life Size Extender.

I do have the Canon 200mm 2.8, but I manual focus it. And if a good 200mm manual focus becomes available I will get that.

Gear List

mike ­ cabilangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 11, 2012 20:12 |  #8

BobbyT wrote in post #14250521 (external link)
I've owned the 50 1.8II. They do have the same af motor, but it is a lot snappier on the 50 1.8 because the 50 macro has more to move. On the 50 macro, the af has to move the extra weight of the guide which extends out for macro work. Also, the 50 macro is not a true 1:1 magnification lens without the addition of the Canon Life Size Extender.

I do have the Canon 200mm 2.8, but I manual focus it. And if a good 200mm manual focus becomes available I will get that.

yeah the zeiss is also 1:.5

the sigma is 1:1 but i don't really need anymore magnfication, i'm only considering the macros due to their MFD's

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 11, 2012 20:15 |  #9

50 CM AF in dark places? I've never used it in dark places. I doubt it would keep up with some of the more expensive lenses but it has done better under good lighting than my Sigma 50 f/1.4 or Sigma 85 f/1.4 did. I've also had better in-focus hit rates with it than I do with Zeiss in less-than-daylight lighting.

- Keith

BobbyT
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 11, 2012 21:53 |  #10

mike cabilangan wrote in post #14250567 (external link)
yeah the zeiss is also 1:.5

the sigma is 1:1 but i don't really need anymore magnfication, i'm only considering the macros due to their MFD's

knowing this, an option to consider would be selling the Zeiss for a Sigma 50 1.4 and a set of extension tubes. The 50 has a close MFD. The tubes would make that really close when you need it. The Siggy 50 is super sharp, has lightening fast AF, and 1.4 aperture. And you should come out with cash in your pocket.

Gear List

mike ­ cabilangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 11, 2012 22:25 |  #11

regarding extension tubes. i know they don't let you focus to infinity (on AF lenses) but what range are we talking about from MFD to how many feet?

BobbyT
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 12, 2012 08:38 |  #12

A 36mm tube will take the Sigma 50 from a MFD of 1.48' to around 6". And increase the magnification from .13x to .85x. Stacking more tubes will obviously increase the close up performance. And like I said earlier, I mentioned this route because you are looking more for close MFD than magnification. A normal 50mm with tubes gives you more versatility, including being able to use the tubes with your other lenses.

One other option to consider is finding a Canon Life Size Converter. Despite the paperwork saying the LFC is only for the Canon 5omm 2.5 macro. I have found it will work on any chipped lens. i.e. the LFC won't work on my Rokinon lenses because it needs a chip to read. I have tested it on a Sigma macro, and use it regularly on my 200 2.8 prime. It is basically an extension tube with a magnifying glass. Even getting a 50 with a LFC, you would come out ahead on money after the sale of your Zeiss due to the difference in value.

Gear List

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 16, 2012 15:55 |  #13

The ZE50 MP is the best 50mm out there for Canon IMO. I think you'll be sorely disappointed with any other 50 out there, especially if your biggest reason for switching is to gain AF.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

sponsored links

1,490 views & 0 likes for this thread
sell Zeiss 50/2 for an AF 50mm macro lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.