Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 24 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 18:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Saturn and Mars

victorelessar
187 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 11, 2012 17:47 |  #31

i read in the local news that the next few days will be the best time to see saturn. i might be going to this reunion where they are holding some decent telescope for ppl to see it.
im getting my camera aswell, just in case. do you think i can see anything from saturn with 300mm lens?

Canon EOS 1100D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm | Helios 50mm 1:2 | sigma DL 70-300mm

sponsored links
huangyu84
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 11, 2012 20:22 |  #32

If you crop really hard with your 300mm lens, I think you could be able to show the ring structure of Saturn. The focal length was around 5000mm in the images I posted.

Gojira1976
940 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 16, 2012 17:49 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

To think mere mortals as manikind could actually capture a God, let alone two! Awesome work, and thank you very much for your time, and sharing!

AMERICO

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,611 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 16, 2012 22:33 |  #34

Gojira1976 wrote in post #14442327 (external link)
To think mere mortals as manikind could actually capture a God, let alone two!

Why do you refer to them as Gods ?? They are just planets of our solar system , not Gods .

Gojira1976
940 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 17, 2012 01:14 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Celestron wrote in post #14443581 (external link)
Why do you refer to them as Gods ?? They are just planets of our solar system , not Gods .

You understand the solar system, yet you leave out the important education that the Romans and Greeks left us? I suck at grammar, math, and pretty much a lot, but, I do give credit were credit is due :)Saturn
Saturn, Latin Saturnus, in Roman religion, the god of sowing or seed. The Romans equated him with the Greek agricultural deity Cronus. The remains of Saturn’s temple at Rome, eight columns of the pronaos (porch), still dominate the west end of the Forum at the foot of the Clivus Capitolinus. The temple goes back to the earliest records of the republic (6th century bc). It was restored by Lucius Munatius Plancus in 42 bc and, after a fire, in the 4th century ad. It served as the treasury (aerarium Saturni) of the Roman state. Saturn’s cult ... (100 of 274 words)
http://www.britannica.​com/EBchecked/topic/52​5167/Saturn (external link)

http://www.google.com …a22e3c92&biw=19​20&bih=767 (external link)

The Roman god of agriculture concerned with the sowing of the seeds. He is regarded as the father of Jupiter, Ceres, Juno and many others. His wife is the goddess Ops. Jupiter supposedly chased him away and he was taken in by the god Janus in Latium where he introduced agriculture and viniculture. This event heralded a period of peace, happiness and prosperity, the Golden Age.

In memory of this Golden Age, each year the Saturnalia was observed on December 17 at his temple on the Forum Romanum. This temple, below the Capitoline Hill, contained the Royal Treasury and is one of the oldest in Rome. The Saturnalia was one of the major events of the year. Originally only one day, it was later extended to seven days. During this festival, business was suspended, the roles of master and slaves were reversed, moral restrictions were loosened and gifts were exchanged. Offerings made in his honor were done with uncovered heads, contrary to the Roman tradition.
In contrast to his festival, Saturn himself was never very popular. From the 3rd century on, he was identified with the Greek Cronus, and his cult became only marginally more popular. That he ruled over the Golden Age is an extension to the Greek myth. Saturday is named after him.

AMERICO

pev11
66 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 01, 2012 22:41 |  #36

Hi Huangyu, That is a great image of Saturn. Do you mind telling me what ISO you used when you made the video? 3200? or 1600?

Thank you!

britain
830 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 01, 2012 23:28 |  #37

Roll "What flash are you using" haha Never less good shots!

7D2, 20D , 100-400L I, 100-400L II, EFS 17-85 , EFS 18-135, EFS 10-18mm, 100 2.8 macro , ring light, 430EX II, PD Capture Pro, Lifted modified Jeep to shake it all up:)

My Website HERE (external link)

baio
127 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 03, 2012 14:22 |  #38

Wow! Impressive!

Canon EOS 550D(RIP) EOS 5DmkIII ~ EOS 1N ~ EOS 33
Flickr (external link)

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,065 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 06, 2012 23:43 |  #39

I'd love to know how you got such magnification! I just attempted Saturn with a 2000mm scope and 2.5x Barlow and did not get near this magnification.

Could the distance the barlow is from the sensor have anything to do with that?

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 07, 2012 02:24 |  #40

NickJushchyshyn wrote in post #14147256 (external link)
Usually this is done by placing a medium size, long duration thermonuclear fission reaction light source about 90million miles above and behind the camera. ;)
Amazing photos.

Ok, I'll be the jerk that jumps in and says fusion. :lol:

Edit: Ok, I AM a jerk.. I didn't notice this was three pages long, someone else said fusion already, and it's an old post to boot. Fail, fail and FAIL!

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,534 posts
Gallery: 326 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 07, 2012 02:54 |  #41

An old post indeed, but I'm glad it was revived and I saw it in 'New Posts'.
These are outstanding. Very well done.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,611 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 07, 2012 23:41 |  #42

I agree , best images of either one especially Mars ! I've taken alot of images of Saturn and Jupiter with a XSi and never got one that good and i i also use a Celestron C8 . However the XSi doesn't have video . Great shots !

RustyHammer
685 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 09, 2012 15:04 |  #43

Awesome shots ... love the rings of Saturn most. WOW

Gear List

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 09, 2012 15:36 |  #44

Where are the video clips...?

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

A.S.I.G.N. ­ Observatory
...For the future of mankind
2,635 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 09, 2012 16:18 |  #45

timekiller wrote in post #14148872 (external link)
That flash has been out for like 4 billions years now... time update it!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

Builds By Baz website http://www.buildsbybaz​.com (external link)

sponsored links

16,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Saturn and Mars
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.