Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aperture Priority Confusion!

cariad49
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 11, 2012 20:01 |  #1

Hi, I have a Canon EOS 450D & used AV Priority thinking that it auto selects Shutter speed (read that in Manual). I shot indoors under lights in evening using f5.6 & ISO 400 and the shutter speed selected was 1/2 sec and it was all blurred! I switched to Auto and it selected f5.6, Shutter speed 1/60th sec & ISO 400 and the shot was perfect. I simply don't get it so can someone please explain or I will go Nuts trying to figure it out myself.
Cheers

sponsored links
DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 11, 2012 20:08 |  #2

Probably the Auto mode uses a multi-point metering, you probably have the AV set to spot metering. Just a guess.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 11, 2012 20:08 |  #3

And I bet the flash fired during that auto shot.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,504 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2012 20:11 |  #4

Av mode assumes no flash so it needs a shutter speed long enough to expose properly given the ambient light. This will usually result in very long shutter speeds while shooting indoors at night. I prefer to shoot manual mode indoors with the flash.

StanNJ1
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 11, 2012 20:12 |  #5

(AV) In aperture priority mode YOU choose the aperture and the camera will select the appropriate shutter speed.

(TV) In shutter priority mode YOU pick the shutter speed and the camera will select the appropriate aperture.

In the two examples you explain above something has changed between shots. Either the second shot had more ambient light or one of your settings must have changed such as the ISO or perhaps you had some exposure compensation dialed in without knowing it. Can you post your examples?

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.stansphotos.com (external link)
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotos (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 11, 2012 20:15 |  #6

The only way you get that shutter speed without changes in iso or aperture is by having the flash fire, which auto does by default.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2012 20:25 |  #7

crn3371 wrote in post #14250582 (external link)
The only way you get that shutter speed without changes in iso or aperture is by having the flash fire, which auto does by default.

Yeah, I agree. If your aperture and ISO caused the camera to select 1/2 second for correct exposure (which given your settings, indoors, sounds about right - normally indoors you need a faster lens than that and still have ISO up around 3200 at the very least) then putting it into auto would cause it to pop the flash up and use that to light up the room. In that case, nothing unusual is going on, you just had the wrong start point in Av, causing the camera to have to use areally slow shutter speed for correct exposure. Next time, just see what shutter speed the camera is giving you and if it is too slow, either open the aperture (if you can) or bump up the ISO. In this case you really needed to do both to get a sensible speed.

If you compare Av to full auto outdoors, in decent light, you should get the same exposure level (although not necessarily the exact same settings) as the camera won't need to use the flash.

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 11, 2012 20:27 |  #8

On second thought, I agree with crn3371(funny name), examples would be helpfull.
Post the pics.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,277 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 11, 2012 20:31 |  #9

'Auto' mode (Green Box) on my 40D will

• put the ISO setting at 400,
  • it will also turn on the flash if the ambient light is too low,
  • it will set the shutter speed to 1/60 for the flash and to be able to capture just a bit of ambient light,
  • and it will choose an aperture f/4.

The flash gave the photo enough light.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 11, 2012 22:18 |  #10

The camera will expose for the ambient light in Av mode and use the flash to expose your subject. This is called dragging the shutter and it allows you to have the background properly exposed.

If you don't like this behavior, you can lock the sync speed in Av mode to 1/250 to 1/60 of a second using your custom functions. Your background will come out dark, but you won't have the camera shake issues.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 12, 2012 00:16 |  #11

We haven't heard from the OP as to whether the flash was only fired in the Auto shot. One would think it would have been mentioned!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

satuman
52 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 12, 2012 00:23 |  #12

tonylong with 41,903 posts cares to reply! hats off to you sir,

cariad49
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 12, 2012 01:48 |  #13

Hi, now I know this is a really DUMB question, but how do I attach the 2 photos as it asks me for MY URL & I don't have a Web Site. When you ave finished laughing, I really need to know!!
Cheers

Tragic_Golfer
400 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 12, 2012 02:30 |  #14

If you shot it out of the hand at 1/2 sec it would be blurry due to camera movement.1/2 second shutter speed is extremely slow. I may be wrong but it would be almost impossible to get it clear. 1/60th out of the hand is reasonable shutterspeed and would be appear much sharper. F5.6 at night under lights will probably not help. If you can open the aperture in manual mode and even increase the ISO it will allow you to speed up the shutter and eliminate camera shake. I am no expert, but thats how I see it.

Canon 5D mkII - BG-E6 Grip, Canon 40D Gripped, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS, Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 550EX, Canon 430EXII.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 12, 2012 04:47 |  #15

cariad49 wrote in post #14251843 (external link)
Hi, now I know this is a really DUMB question, but how do I attach the 2 photos as it asks me for MY URL & I don't have a Web Site. When you ave finished laughing, I really need to know!!
Cheers

There are dozens of photo sharing sites on the web. I prefer http://imageevent.com/ (external link) , most people use Flickr. Posting on one of them will give you a URL (which should be in the form http://xxxxx.xxx.jpg (external link)). Or you can "Go Advanced" and select Attach Files/Manage Attachments and upload a file or two from your hard drive, so long as they are no more than 1024 pixels on the long side and less than 150 KB.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

2,120 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aperture Priority Confusion!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.