Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 10 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 10:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Fujifilm X-Pro1 Review (or thoughts rather)

MigsVuitton
609 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 10, 2012 10:03 |  #1

Being a long time canon user, I was reluctant to throw down the $$$ on such a system. To think I could have got some amazing lenses instead, I was a little nervous. But I, along with a ton of other professionals have been longing for that companion compact.

I've owned everything from Panasonic LX's, Leica D-Lux's, Canon G10, Sigma DP2 Panasonic GF1, Olympus E-P1, Fujifilm x100, etc. etc. - I just never stopped. It's almost embarrassing how many cameras I've owned and my flickr is a testament to test shots after test shots.

This camera though, is quite special. The x100 was just about there - the only thing missing was the ability to change lenses. (A big fan of M43s but I just can't get passed the small sensors).

It’s been about a week since owning the Fujifilm X-Pro1 and if I had to describe the camera in one word, it would probably be “wow”. Day one of shooting was a little weird. I was so excited to have the camera in my hands so I’m sure I was bias about how it handled so everything just felt amazing.

Day two, I started to get concerned about the “quirks” that people have been posting on forums. Day three I realized these aren’t quirks, these are just characteristics of the camera, like any other camera may have.

I’ve been reading a lot about people complaining about the AF on the camera. I have to say, it’s all just BS. I have a single lamp in my room and can focus on pretty much anything. Is it slower than some of it’s possible competitors? Yes, but you knew that already. On the flip side, is the quality of images from other possible competitors better? Nope. But I guess some people care more about AF speed than IQ.
Also, getting things sharp and in focus at f/1.4 is ridiculously easy where I’ve had trouble in the past with a 5dII and 35L/50L. It’s SPOT on.

High ISO quality on this camera is ba.na.nas. Not only does the noise level remain low, but any noise that is present has a film like grain to it (just make sure the camera jpeg engine isn’t applying any NR).

My only complaint and this has nothing to do with the camera, is the lack of support for RAW files. I am SO excited to view my RAW files because if the jpegs are this good, we’re in for a treat.

Oh I lied, I do have a camera complaint. The moving aperture blades that causes chatter in changing light. Yes, I know it’s normal, but it’s striking how loud it can be. Out and about, it’s a non-issue. Indoors with family (or when I take this to wedding gigs), it’s loud and can get annoying. One can argue the shutter of a dslr is loader, but that’s expected when a photographer is around. Aperture chatter, kinda weird and not normal to most people.

All said and done it’s results that I’m more worried and interested about. This camera can perform. The files are simply gorgeous and not only are they amazingly good sooc, they look even better post processed.

Here are some shots I’ve taken with the 35mm lens. It’s a pretty random selection as I’ve not gone out to a focused shoot, but hopefully you can see the potential this camera has as being a professional tool.

You can find all the images here, http://www.mikee.nu/?p​=4780 (external link) but a few I liked I'll post here:

IMAGE: http://www.mikee.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xpro1_2a.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.mikee.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xpro1_3.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.mikee.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xpro1_7a.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.mikee.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xpro1_8.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.mikee.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xpro1_12.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.mikee.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xpro1_16.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.mikee.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xpro1_20.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.mikee.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xpro1_28.jpg

instagram (external link) | blog (external link) | vsco (external link)

sponsored links
BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 10, 2012 10:33 |  #2

wow, those images enough make me want to replace the X100 i got for my gf for one of these..

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

shujert
595 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 10, 2012 11:12 |  #3

Wonderful images! Your experience with the camera exactly mirrors mine. After a week with the XP1, I absolutely love it and all its quirks. It's positively fantastic.

Shu
flickr (external link) feedbackLeica M + 50 Lux ASPH

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 11, 2012 02:07 |  #4

Another honest review and to that I say thank you. I'd like to think I'm a techie, a bit snooty at times, but no camera has stirred up more interest in me than the x-pro 1. It took me a month to decide on the x10 which I really adore right now. Time will tell though...

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 11, 2012 08:52 |  #5

Oh man.

It's reviews like this that are fuelling the fire for me to pull the trigger one of these (Berra-esque mixed metaphor intended).

I'm doing a lot more street and editorial photography these days, and I'm seriously considering liquidating a significant portion of my DSLR kit to fund the X-Pro1 and all three primes.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 11, 2012 10:15 as a reply to  @ edge100's post |  #6

I checked out a few videos on youtube of the aperture chatter that you mention. Wow...I agree...it does seem pretty loud. In my reading though I did see numerous mentions of a couple workarounds that get the noise to stop...but still I find it odd that Fuji didn't think that one through a little better. Regardless the images are beautiful...and that more than makes up for a little lens noise.

-Dave

MigsVuitton
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 11, 2012 13:45 |  #7

helloagain36 wrote in post #14247369 (external link)
I checked out a few videos on youtube of the aperture chatter that you mention. Wow...I agree...it does seem pretty loud. In my reading though I did see numerous mentions of a couple workarounds that get the noise to stop...but still I find it odd that Fuji didn't think that one through a little better. Regardless the images are beautiful...and that more than makes up for a little lens noise.

Apparently setting the fn button to dof preview stops the aperture blades from moving (as long as you press it after a shot) so I can't see why a firmware update can't resolve this.

The noise from that no longer bothers me - I just don't want other people hearing it.

They've done WONDERS with the x100 and firmware updates, especially with auto focus so I'm willing to bet the x-pro1 will have really great updates in the near future.

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 11, 2012 15:22 |  #8

I played with one in my local shop yesterday. It exhibited the same focus issue I had on my x100 that I returned after 5 days o fighting with it. I focus and get a green dot on someones face, take the picture and all of a sudden the background was in focus and not the face. I was disappointed and the owner of the store sent the two lens;s he had gotten and the body back. He said he had headaches dealing with the x100 returns and wasn't dealing with it again.

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

MigsVuitton
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 11, 2012 16:37 |  #9

Steve Beck wrote in post #14249030 (external link)
I played with one in my local shop yesterday. It exhibited the same focus issue I had on my x100 that I returned after 5 days o fighting with it. I focus and get a green dot on someones face, take the picture and all of a sudden the background was in focus and not the face. I was disappointed and the owner of the store sent the two lens;s he had gotten and the body back. He said he had headaches dealing with the x100 returns and wasn't dealing with it again.

That happens when you're using the OVF and do not have the corrected auto frame on. For some ODD reason, Fuji has this defaulted off lol...

On that note, it's been said - because this is a rangefinder-style camera, it's best using the OVF with a zone focusing technique.

I for one am not a rangefinder kinda shooter so I love my EVF and LCD. But when I'm out shooting landscapes, which is rare, the OVF is there for me which is a treat.

vgrab
118 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 12, 2012 10:32 |  #10

i wish i had 2k+ to blow... that aparture chatter would drive my crazy tho.

flickr (external link)

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 12, 2012 18:49 |  #11

I played with a Olympus OM-D E-M5. I was thoroughly impressed.

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 12, 2012 19:20 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

if canon made a camera like Olympus OM-D E-M5 or fuji xpro1 with ff and eos compatible would be interesting

Gear List

MigsVuitton
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 13, 2012 11:09 |  #13

A few more:

Self:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/7073994759_ba9aefbbd6_b.jpg

Love the color:

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5034/6927913808_2c889dd67a_b.jpg

Face of a teenager who studies hard:

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5461/6927913984_c63afccbce_b.jpg

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 13, 2012 17:37 |  #14

Very capable camera in capable hands will result in great pics. nice work man

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 18, 2012 14:11 |  #15

great images!
Mine gets here sometime today... body on ups truck, lens on ontrac truck lol. @.@
I tried out m4/3 with the best lenses they have, and got great images, it was just lacking something.
so i canceled my em-5 pre-order, have RMA's for my lenses ready to be shipped back to the store,
and going to give the xpro1 a try :)

-off topic, I was checking out your website, and you left the classica logo on your portfolio :P It should be changeable almost bought that one but went with photolux instead :S

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

sponsored links

7,688 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Fujifilm X-Pro1 Review (or thoughts rather)
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.