Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who is keeping the 5D2 when bought the 5D3?

MomentForeverImage
203 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 12, 2012 09:27 |  #1

i am debating between selling the 5D2 or keep it as a backup body..

http://www.momentforev​erimage.com/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/MomentForeverImage (external link)

sponsored links
Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 12, 2012 09:33 |  #2

My plan was to have the 5D2 as a backup to the 5D3. Still in love with the 5D2 as I still get excited when I load my pics up in Lightroom.

I did play with the 5D3 in store. I fell in love with that right away too.

I *was* going to go the route of 5D2/5D3, but I canceled my 5D3 order and bought 3 L lenses instead. The price on the 5D3 soured me.

I will buy the 5D3 either this summer or later. In no big rush. When I do, the 5D2 will still have a home with me, no doubt about it.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 12, 2012 10:22 |  #3

if you want money to buy the new one
sell the old 5D2
if you had some money
sell the old one for a new lenses with the new 5D3

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

rypson
147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 12, 2012 11:19 |  #4

I'm keeping.... But I need it :) In my situation more bodies means faster action without changing lens. If you need it for work keep it if you don't work as a photographer sell it, you don;t nee backup body :)

Living The Dream ! Aviation Photography
http://www.chrisparypa​.com (external link)

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 12, 2012 11:34 |  #5

I honestly thought about switching back for a 5D2 with good glass but decided to keep the 5D3. Once you really use the 5D3 for all of what it's worth, you wouldn't want to switch back to a 5D2. Unless you have the cash to get a 5D2 as a back up.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

imports
134 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 12, 2012 12:06 |  #6

Im still thinking if i really want to get the MKIII or just buy a 70-200mm II and a prime lens and call it a day.

5D MarkIIGripped
24-105 F4 EF L
16-35mm L
EX-580II flash
85mm 1.8

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 12, 2012 12:09 |  #7

After really doing some research on the new Mark III, its just a new 5D with better AF, but rather a whole new camera. If my plans work out properly, I will be keeping all my camera. Doesnt hurt to have a back up body, and frankly I cant have both FF and crop as my lens selections get all wonky, especially when I look at UWA lenses.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,649 posts
Gallery: 231 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2012 13:19 as a reply to  @ Tony_Stark's post |  #8

I just sold my 5D2, will sell my 1Ds2 and keep my 7D as the companion for my new 5D3. I think with my lenses, that offers me the best combination overall. The only EF-S lens I have is the 17-55 which I plan on keeping too...even though the main use of my 7D will be for long lenses.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 12, 2012 13:47 |  #9

imports wrote in post #14253973 (external link)
Im still thinking if i really want to get the MKIII or just buy a 70-200mm II and a prime lens and call it a day.

I thought I wanted the MKIII too. But then I realized, it's 4 GRAND for basically the same thing I already have, and I'd still leave it in 1-point AF anyways!!! (95% of the time)

Instead, I'm getting three nice new lenses I've never played with before. (24L, 50L, 16-35L) It's going to be a fun week. And I won't feel burned by the 5D3 relea$e pricing.

Tony_Stark wrote in post #14253984 (external link)
After really doing some research on the new Mark III, its just a new 5D with better AF, but rather a whole new camera. If my plans work out properly, I will be keeping all my camera. Doesnt hurt to have a back up body, and frankly I cant have both FF and crop as my lens selections get all wonky, especially when I look at UWA lenses.

I just sold my backup body. It was $2500 that always just sat in bag and never got used. Made sense to cash it in and get something that I'd....... USE!

I shoot weddings, and I'll pick up something like a Rebel T2i body for backup in case something happens in the middle of covering a paid event. And if I can't get it fixed before the next wedding, I'll drop 4 grand on 5D3 and just suck it up. At least I'll be prepared and having fun with new glass in the meantime.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

MomentForeverImage
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 12, 2012 13:54 |  #10

thanks for everyone's comments.. seems like i really need a backup body since i am going to be shoot wedding starting this summer.... if i only have one body and something happens to the body, i am not able to work !!!!!! ..

http://www.momentforev​erimage.com/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/MomentForeverImage (external link)

sponsored links

1,995 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who is keeping the 5D2 when bought the 5D3?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.