Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 04 May 2010 (Tuesday) 11:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tips for speeding up culling of wedding photos?

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 09, 2011 20:54 |  #31

I never delete from the cards. I find it took risky. God forbid you ever accidentally select "Delete All" and lose a whole 3 hours of photos!

I used to do the ratings system but found that just slowed me way down. Now I just start at the beginning, examine each picture and if I want to keep it, I edit it, save it, then move on to the next. It's usually pretty obvious to me if a picture is worth saving or not so there's really no need for the flag system. Plus I'd rather edit too much than not enough for the bride and groom.

I also save EVERY SINGLE IMAGE I have even if it's horrible. I never delete- I just back-up on a portable hard drive. And this has come in handy twice now- three weeks ago I got an email from a former client that one of her guests had passed away and she only got 3 images from the wedding with her in it and she asked me if I would take a look at my tossed out pics to see if there were any of this woman. I found 4 more. They were crappy (the person I was shooting moved out of frame or in one case it was a lighting test shot) but what mattered was getting as many pictures of this woman as possible since these were the last pictures taken of her.

So that's just my 2 cents. :)

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sponsored links
king ­ grant
108 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 14, 2011 13:18 |  #32

I personally haven't used photo mechanic but I use a variety of programs to narrow things down in a process. I start by deleteing obvious failures in camera. Then import the rest into picasa and scroll through doing basic minor adjustments and starring the ones I know I want to keep or adjust to become keepers. Then when I have that folder put together I reimport images to lightroom to adjust lighting and such in more detail. By the end of my process I usually narrow from 700-800 down to 200 that are print worthy.

Additionally before deleteing anything except obvious failures I burn a dvd archive of all the images good questionable or ugly, that way if the client wants a certain shot but it is not included in my selection I still have the images and I keep these disks for 2 years. Makes a good reference so I can follow up close to aniversary time.

"A great photographer can take great shots with an Iphone but a mediocre photographer can ruin a shot with a 1dsmkIV. My camera is like the brush I paint a house with...I'm just looking for my detail brush, and a roller, and some high gloss paint, and a sprayer, yeah a sprayer would make things easier."

robgr85
890 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 16, 2011 05:22 |  #33

Christina wrote in post #10119366 (external link)
I'm trying to improve my workflow. I'm now using Photo Mechanic to cull images, and it is loads faster than Lightroom. I was wondering if anyone has any tips that they could share that helps their workflow as far as narrowing down to the photos you want to deliver to your client.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if You are shooting in Manual now, but when it comes to post processing It's far faster, especialy when there are some series of photos...

Blog (external link)

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 13, 2012 01:51 |  #34

robgr85 wrote in post #11650819 (external link)
I'm not sure if You are shooting in Manual now, but when it comes to post processing It's far faster, especialy when there are some series of photos...

Shooting manual has been one of the biggest things that I have done to speed up editing a wedding especially when using flash for dancing.
I currently use the method I learned from Zach and Jody and it has worked like a charm.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 13, 2012 02:43 |  #35

I reject or keep... I don't have any rating in between. I fly through culling going with my gut. Takes a split second per photo.

Peter

hbomb69
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 13, 2012 06:45 |  #36

Using Lightroom:

1.green flag all the keepers (key no 8) using left/right arrows takes 1/2 secs per shot

2.filter the green keepers, and create a collection called "(client)1st pass"

3.edit each shot and give it 5 stars to indicate complete.

export...done.:):)

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.uk (external link)
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 13, 2012 07:27 |  #37

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #14257919 (external link)
I reject or keep... I don't have any rating in between. I fly through culling going with my gut. Takes a split second per photo.

Exactly what I do.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 13, 2012 08:28 |  #38

hbomb69 wrote in post #14258309 (external link)
Using Lightroom:

1.green flag all the keepers (key no 8) using left/right arrows takes 1/2 secs per shot

2.filter the green keepers, and create a collection called "(client)1st pass"

3.edit each shot and give it 5 stars to indicate complete.

export...done.:):)

ha, almost the exact opposite of what i do! i use the stars to indicate go or no go, and the green flag to indicate completed ha!

but unlike most of these folks here, i use the stars like so-
1- garbage, most likely will be deleted
2- keep, but not giving them unless i have to (no other shot of that particular subject/important moment..etc)
3- good solid shot
4- love this shot, blogworthy
5- favorite shot, i don't 5 star much.

probably part of the reason i waste so much time processing a wedding :(
but it makes it easy to go back to the folder and find what I want to blog, add to the porfolio, etc..

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,493 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 13, 2012 10:37 as a reply to  @ bigarchi's post |  #39

I'm not sure how many others here have sprung for the 5DIII...but for those who have (or are going to)...are you planning to use the in camera rating system at all? I used to delete off the card as I went through the day...but I may decide to start rating in camera instead of deleting entirely.

-Dave

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 13, 2012 13:35 |  #40

helloagain36 wrote in post #14259321 (external link)
I'm not sure how many others here have sprung for the 5DIII...but for those who have (or are going to)...are you planning to use the in camera rating system at all? I used to delete off the card as I went through the day...but I may decide to start rating in camera instead of deleting entirely.

Is it a feature that is easy to use or time consuming?

LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,493 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 13, 2012 13:46 |  #41

ChadAndreo wrote in post #14260156 (external link)
Is it a feature that is easy to use or time consuming?

There is a dedicated rate button on the back above the review button so I don't think it will be any more time consuming than going through and pressing delete.

-Dave

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 13, 2012 13:59 |  #42

You just added another reason(af, iso, improved auto iso, etc) why I need to get a mkIII.

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,493 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 13, 2012 14:31 |  #43

ChadAndreo wrote in post #14260276 (external link)
You just added another reason(af, iso, improved auto iso, etc) why I need to get a mkIII.

Its a pretty great camera man...its what the 5D should have been years ago.

-Dave

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 13, 2012 18:11 |  #44

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #14257919 (external link)

Excellent approach.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 13, 2012 18:51 |  #45

I work up rather than down the list.

It is kind of silly to me to try to pick winners the first time through. Or even the second. Every frame you have to decide wether to keep it bassed on frames you have not seen yet. Sure winners do stand out. But that is not the question.

My first pass is to eliminate the bad. Blinks, funny faces, OOF, bad exposure....anything that is junk. Then do it again with a finer comb. When you are done you are left with "average" as your worst frame. And scrapped probably 3/4ths of your work load.

Then the final cull is rather easy.

But to go frame by frame trying to pick the good ones out of a pool of thousands of frames is leaning towards futile at best.

I "reject" the ones that will never see the light of day again. They get deleted. Second round fails tent to be about half delets. I will keep some incase of a "You missed Cousin Phil". I can go find a half decient shot with him. I see no point in rating images. Either they are saleable or they arent. I do color tag them as winners or standbys. But that is about it.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

sponsored links

22,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips for speeding up culling of wedding photos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.