Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Apr 2012 (Thursday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying my first flash: Any recommended accessories?

TheRightLight
295 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 12, 2012 13:48 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Hi all! (First post. ;))

I'm the owner of a Rebel T3i, and I want to get my feet wet with off camera lighting and flash via the 430 EX II.

I've never owned a flash before, so I'm wondering if there are any accessories I should consider before making my purchase?

Thanks for your help.

Marketplace Feedback:
As a Seller: One. Two. Three. As a Buyer: Link.
My Ebay Account: 100% Positive Feedback. (external link)

sponsored links
v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 12, 2012 14:03 |  #2

Start off simple with an umbrella. I think they're often underrated and overlooked as "newbie" modifiers just because they're cheap. Everyone is so quick to discount them and head for softboxes. Softboxes are great and have their place, but so do umbrellas.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 12, 2012 14:06 |  #3

A convertible umbrella (one that will allow you to use it as refelective and shoot through). You get a bigger softer light source for less money than with a softbox. Combine that with an inexpensive 4 in one reflector for fill and you can do a lot of great stuff.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 12, 2012 14:09 |  #4

Having gone thru my fair share of umbrellas, I really like Westcott's collapsible convertible umbrellas. Really nice for on location/portable use.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

TheRightLight
THREAD ­ STARTER
295 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 12, 2012 14:11 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Portable is certainly important...

I'll check out the Westcott brand.

Marketplace Feedback:
As a Seller: One. Two. Three. As a Buyer: Link.
My Ebay Account: 100% Positive Feedback. (external link)

LARAB
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 12, 2012 17:11 |  #6

Welcome, I suggest one of these (external link). Wait, T3i works as master no?

-Brian

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 12, 2012 17:52 |  #7

If you use an umbrella outdoors, get a sandbag or an assistant to make sure it doesn't take flight.

Photography is the art of exclusion

Mjolnir
175 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 13, 2012 08:57 |  #8

StoFen omnibounce is an accessoire thats on my speedlite pretty much all the time. I love it. I have two, the white one and the golden one.

Never used the golden one though. :|

www.toeterphotography.​blogspot.com (external link)
Flickr. (external link)
365 project. (external link)
Eos 7D, 300mm F/2.8 L IS, 100-400L, 24-105L, 70-200L II IS USM, Sigma 150mm OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 60mm Macro, Canon 50mm F/1.8.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 13, 2012 09:47 |  #9

Mjolnir wrote in post #14258761 (external link)
StoFen omnibounce is an accessoire thats on my speedlite pretty much all the time. I love it. I have two, the white one and the golden one.

Never used the golden one though. :|

Please do some research on these. They dont do what you probably think they do. Mostly a waste of money.

Warbird55
221 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 13, 2012 09:56 |  #10

I would recommend the LumiQuest ProMax System as a good flash accessory. I also agree with everyone else about umbrellas.

Canon 7D2 Gripped | Canon 7D Gripped | Canon SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II | Canon Extender 1.4x III | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

DHPHOTO66
186 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 13, 2012 10:04 |  #11

gonzogolf wrote in post #14259054 (external link)
Please do some research on these. They dont do what you probably think they do. Mostly a waste of money.

I prefer this: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_A17_Bounce_Dif​fuser.html (external link)

Uncle Donn | http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dhphoto66/ (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 13, 2012 10:09 |  #12

Sorry but its the same problem as the stofen. They dont increase the size of the light source and depend solely on the ability to bounce light around the room. If you have surfaces to bounce off of, you dont need one in the first place.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2012 10:09 |  #13

I thought the StoFen was a magical, fix it all accessory?!?! No?? ;)

I've got (1) for a 430EXII. I use it, at times, for background lighting... that's about it.

Other than the needed accessories to get the flash firing off camera, and the umbrella/stand that have already been mentioned... I would also suggest some basic color correction gels.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 13, 2012 10:59 |  #14

You'll love using the 430EX II off camera with wireless control from your T3i pop-up. I've been doing this with two 430EXs controlled by my 60D for over a year, and it works extremely well over the range Canon stipulates. As a very good portable softbox, I recommend the Lumiquest Softbox III. It is big enough to have a have a significant softening effect if it's within about 3-4 feet of the subject, which makes it very effective for head and shoulders portraits. You can also hold it attached to your flash off camera with your left hand and shoot with your right. Check out the Lumiquest site:

http://www.lumiquest.c​om …umiQuest-SoftBox-III.html (external link)

As stated above, some gels would also be useful.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2012 11:27 |  #15

HughR wrote in post #14259419 (external link)
You'll love using the 430EX II off camera with wireless control from your T3i pop-up. I've been doing this with two 430EXs controlled by my 60D for over a year, and it works extremely well over the range Canon stipulates. As a very good portable softbox, I recommend the Lumiquest Softbox III. It is big enough to have a have a significant softening effect if it's within about 3-4 feet of the subject, which makes it very effective for head and shoulders portraits. You can also hold it attached to your flash off camera with your left hand and shoot with your right. Check out the Lumiquest site:

http://www.lumiquest.c​om …umiQuest-SoftBox-III.html (external link)

As stated above, some gels would also be useful.

I thought the control functionality from the pop-up flash was only available on the 60D and the 7D??

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links

2,663 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying my first flash: Any recommended accessories?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.