Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,785 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2012 17:22 |  #211

nicksan wrote in post #14261260 (external link)
Interesting discussion about body of work.

I just don't shoot with that much of a thought process.
I shoot what I see in mind at that specific moment in time, so one photo might have nothing to do with another. IMO, I don't have a "body of work" that has a common recognizable thread. For me, it just doesn't need to be that deep. Again, I shoot what I see and it's a pretty simple thought process that works for me.

Some days I "see" well. Other days, not so much. That's the joy of it for me. The hunt. The feeling of achievement when you get that shot that you are proud of. But it's not something I force or even actively think about.

I know I posted up some photos with explanations of why I chose to shoot those photos that way, but they all come from a very simplistic approach. Shoot what I see.

Its what will take your work to the next level. A style will not only help you in personal work but will also help you in your professional work It will have people hiring you because your work doesn't look like the herd. If the herd is your competition its only going to get tougher out there.

If you want to exhibit in a credible gallery its one thing that the curator will look at and your clients will search you out for it and those are the clients that notice and therefore really matter.

Its a sure way to take it to the next level and it ain't easy. And once you discover and evolve into it the joy just increases.

The biggest compliment a photographer can get isn't "thats a pretty picture" (almost anyone these days can make pretty pictures) but the big compliment is "that looks like one of your photographs" especially when it is one of yours. Thats something not everyone can do.

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 13, 2012 17:24 as a reply to  @ post 14261349 |  #212

Bride and her father were waiting in the limo at the church. She was peaking through the window seeing what was going on outside. Her father was looking at her with a joyous expression. I liked the directional lighting hitting the bride through the window and the silhouette that was created on the father.

IMAGE: http://www.nicknphoto.com/galleries/upload/2011/06/05/20110605162420-52cb5fd8.jpg

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 13, 2012 17:32 |  #213

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14261356 (external link)
Its what will take your work to the next level. A style will not only help you in personal work but will also help you in your professional work It will have people hiring you because your work doesn't look like the herd. If the herd is your competition its only going to get tougher out there.

If you want to exhibit in a credible gallery its one thing that the curator will look at and your clients will search you out for it and those are the clients that notice and therefore really matter.

Its a sure way to take it to the next level and it ain't easy. And once you discover and evolve into it the joy just increases.

Allen, I completely understand all of that and quite obviously I am always striving to take "it" to the next level, but it's not something I forcefully do. I let it come naturally. But it's not something I deeply think about, leaving a legacy, a body of work, and all of that. I just don't. I enjoy shooting and I try to shoot what I see as much as possible. That has led me the right way. I'm not saying that's the right way or the only way. It's just something that has worked for me in the 6 short years I've been doing this. :)

You are absolutely right when it comes to the business. There's always that next step that we can all strive to take. Of course with weddings, it's about being able to consistently capture unique moments, and that's not such an easy thing to do because the genre is very formulaic and it doesn't exactly instill creativity. Of course that's not all I shoot and I try to let things that I shoot spill across genres. I feel like shooting weddings help my street shooting and vice versa.

I'm not educated like you are Allen. I rarely if ever study the "greats". I am not all that interested in anything except my own vision and joy. Not sure what that makes me! :lol:

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 13, 2012 17:33 |  #214

Timphoto wrote in post #14252577 (external link)
Here's another edit with a better crop and some PS to remove a distracting element directly behind the photographer. If I had the PS skills, the other thing I'd like to remove is the sign behind the red headed young girl in the center of the photo.

QUOTED IMAGE

I think the sign behind the red-head girl is perfect. My eye goes straight to her BECAUSE the sign behind her makes her red hair stand out. I then follow her eyes to the man she is looking at, and his hands direct me to the red-headed woman across from him, and she brings me back to him via the red-head girl again. I am then locked in a cycle of looking at those three endlessly. So I have to make a conscious choice to break that cycle and consider everyone else in the photo.... And eventually I hit the baby and follow its eyes back to the man and I am back into the cycle again.

Getting that to happen in a photo is rare. I wouldn't change anything about that sign.

I also like how everyone is very actively engaged in looking at something yet all of them also express a sense of boredom, which your title further suggests. It all works together very well.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

airfrogusmc
36,785 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2012 18:00 |  #215

nicksan wrote in post #14261393 (external link)
Allen, I completely understand all of that and quite obviously I am always striving to take "it" to the next level, but it's not something I forcefully do. I let it come naturally. But it's not something I deeply think about, leaving a legacy, a body of work, and all of that. I just don't. I enjoy shooting and I try to shoot what I see as much as possible. That has led me the right way. I'm not saying that's the right way or the only way. It's just something that has worked for me in the 6 short years I've been doing this. :)

You are absolutely right when it comes to the business. There's always that next step that we can all strive to take. Of course with weddings, it's about being able to consistently capture unique moments, and that's not such an easy thing to do because the genre is very formulaic and it doesn't exactly instill creativity. Of course that's not all I shoot and I try to let things that I shoot spill across genres. I feel like shooting weddings help my street shooting and vice versa.

I'm not educated like you are Allen. I rarely if ever study the "greats". I am not all that interested in anything except my own vision and joy. Not sure what that makes me! :lol:

I love photography and I'm not so narcissistic to just enjoy what I create. A good way to learn and grow is from those greats that have come before. Education is on going and everyone can educate themselves. My advice would be search out some to the great shooters and see what they did not to copy but to learn. Bressons work is just full of repeating shapes, killer compositions and all seen in a fraction of a second He could see all of that because he trained his vision to see it. He wasn't great by chance. He worked very hard at it and because of that he had a style.

There are some wedding photographers that had style and many of them were inspired by the ones that came before. Zucker had his own style and was influenced by Karsh and Rembrandt. On the other side of the coin Denis Reggie made the photo journalist wedding style fashionable.

These photographers all were deliberate in developing their own way of seeing and were all very successful because of it.

I can spend hours and hours looking at others work. Paintings, photographs, mixed media, sculpture, motion pictures and even literature and music. Inspiration can come from anywhere and the more we experience the more it shows up in our work.

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
10,002 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 13, 2012 18:13 |  #216

If any of you are in the San Francisco area, SF MOMA has a couple of great photography exhibits going right now. One features Reneki Dijkstra's portraits and the other is a series on Photography in Mexico that includes some of Weston's photographs.

Tim

airfrogusmc
36,785 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2012 18:39 |  #217

Timphoto wrote in post #14261563 (external link)
If any of you are in the San Francisco area, SF MOMA has a couple of great photography exhibits going right now. One features Reneki Dijkstra's portraits and the other is a series on Photography in Mexico that includes some of Weston's photographs.

I wish I was in San Fran. We were actually trying to get a trip out that way mid May but it ain't gonna happen.

RAWuser
67 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 13, 2012 20:58 |  #218

Since the "IMAGE EDITING OK" is enabled, does this work? I went for a semi-panoramic look with the tight crop and did a tiny correction to the horizon level.

Excellent thread, by the way!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 13, 2012 22:33 |  #219

Nope! To me it needed the headroom! I can see what you were trying to do, but it's become too busy IMO.

Growing old disgracefully!

Gandroid
85 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 13, 2012 23:22 |  #220

Timphoto wrote in post #14261563 (external link)

thanks for the info...and SF MOMA admission is free for us as our company is a sponsor :)

-guna :)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
10,002 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 13, 2012 23:40 |  #221

RAWuser wrote in post #14262147 (external link)
Since the "IMAGE EDITING OK" is enabled, does this work? I went for a semi-panoramic look with the tight crop and did a tiny correction to the horizon level.

Excellent thread, by the way!

I tried a crop very much like that early on, but it didn't work for me. While I don't like everything about the full background, it's essential to the feel of the overall photograph.

Tim

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 13, 2012 23:51 as a reply to  @ Timphoto's post |  #222

Liked the lines and the man hole on this one.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

From 1250 Ave of the Americas. Just liked the way this was lit and of course the address at the very bottom.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Interesting table colors.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I liked the way these Mannequins were lit and the simplicity of the display. The reflection of the vehicle gives you an idea that this was in NYC.
IMAGE: http://www.nicknphoto.com/galleries/upload/2011/06/21/20110621185526-ab2f4614.jpg

Grid-like windows with a little bit of reflection of the cloud.
IMAGE: http://www.nicknphoto.com/galleries/upload/2011/06/21/20110621185536-f047905c.jpg

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 13, 2012 23:58 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #223

Wanted to get a shot of the continuous line that ran up one of the streets in NYC.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wanted to capture the typical busy intersection of NYC. The many people crossing and the yellow cab, etc.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Self explanatory.
IMAGE: http://www.nicknphoto.com/galleries/upload/2011/06/05/20110605112740-81348f64.jpg

Typical place from a different angle...
IMAGE NOT FOUND

airfrogusmc
36,785 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 14, 2012 07:19 |  #224

Timphoto wrote in post #14262767 (external link)
I tried a crop very much like that early on, but it didn't work for me. While I don't like everything about the full background, it's essential to the feel of the overall photograph.

Tim, I like your original best. When ya take Jessie Jings Pampered Feet out of it you lose the triangle.

airfrogusmc
36,785 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 14, 2012 07:23 |  #225

Nick, when you look at all the photos you've posted in this thread, which ones do you see a visual consistency in and that have a visual link and also maybe show me a little bit of Nick?

sponsored links

450,406 views & 112 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.