Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Apr 2012 (Friday) 10:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do CF/SD Adapters Cause Instability?

PandaSPUR
98 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 13, 2012 10:24 |  #1

So I got my Canon 5D Classic about a month ago now.
Prior to that I was using Panasonic Lumix cameras, and they all used SD cards.

I figured that getting a SD to CF adapter so I could use these SD cards with my 5Dc would be a better idea, so I have more back up cards for each camera instead of having two different categories of cards altogether.

However, from the beginning, I was wary of one thing: instability and data corruption.
I can tell these SD to CF adapters arent just dumb adapters (like microSD to SD adapters), but they have some sort of logic built in (right?). So I'm thinking... I know my card itself is from a reputable and reliable brand, but I couldnt find a single SD/CF adapter that was from a brand I've heard of before.

I took the risk anyway since the adapter was like 10 bucks from B&H.

Once in a while I did run into data corruption. Sometimes a single image wouldnt save correctly, so when I went back to review it in camera, that image would be unviewable. Or sometimes an image doesnt get saved at all... But this was only for 1 in every 100 pictures.

Didnt think it was a big deal...

Then yesterday, my girlfriend is using my camera and suddenly she goes "Hey it says folder full, and it wont let me shoot"
No errors or anything.. just folder full... I checked the camera settings, its set to continuously number and create new folders.
So I popped the card into my laptop, the DCIM folder is there, the 105EOS5D whatever folder is there, but there are no pictures inside of it.

The computer still shows that about 200MB of the card is occupied, but I found no pictures.

I run chkdsk w/ the option to scan and recover bad sectors. At the end of the, the 105EOS folder just became a file. An extension-less file.

Not sure whats going on...
I asked my girlfriend if she accidentally shut the camera off or popped open the CF card door while shooting and she said no.

Is this an issue with the CF adapter or is it just bad luck + old technology acting up?

Canon 5D Classic: Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8
Panasonic G1: Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens
Pentax K-r: Pentax DAL 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens

sponsored links
Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 13, 2012 15:55 |  #2

PandaSPUR wrote in post #14259248 (external link)
... from the beginning, I was wary of one thing: instability and data corruption.
I can tell these SD to CF adapters arent just dumb adapters (like microSD to SD adapters), but they have some sort of logic built in (right?). So I'm thinking... I know my card itself is from a reputable and reliable brand, but I couldnt find a single SD/CF adapter that was from a brand I've heard of before.
I took the risk anyway since the adapter was like 10 bucks from B&H.
Once in a while I did run into data corruption. Sometimes a single image wouldnt save correctly, so when I went back to review it in camera, that image would be unviewable. Or sometimes an image doesnt get saved at all... But this was only for 1 in every 100 pictures.

Didnt think it was a big deal...
Is this an issue with the CF adapter or is it just bad luck + old technology acting up?

Why are you even asking about this? .. I'd have ditched this setup (actually never bought it in the first place ;) ) as soon as it played up. Everything I've bolded above would make me run a mile from it.

Just buy CF cards .. way better, way faster, way more reliable .. plus solid piece-of-mind

My Gear List  :p

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 13, 2012 16:01 |  #3

Good Lord, CF cards (2-4 gigs) are like $10-15 at WalMart.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

PandaSPUR
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 13, 2012 16:09 |  #4

Buying a $10-15 CF card would probably land me in the same situation. Plus, no Wal Marts in NYC :P

Anyway, yea I was suspicious at first too, but I've learned that money isnt the best judge of everything.
The adapter also had good reviews on B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc, and I couldnt find any issues about it via google.

Also, the 5Dc is 7 year old technology, so for all I know its an issue with my camera.
Again, the data corruption issues were very rare. I can only recall it happening with two images in the past month. Not counting the fubar moment I had yesterday.

This is why I'm asking about this here. I'm hoping to hear from someone who has used this kind of thing before.

SD is just so much more convenient for me. My desktop and laptop have SD readers but no CF. My LX3 and G1 also use SD cards, not CF. Go to any household or office and take a look at the computer, probably has a SD reader but no CF.
Thats why I'd prefer to have a SD card instead of a CF card.

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 14, 2012 02:41 |  #5

Get the CF cards. Stop shorting yourself.

5DM3 lover :cool: //My custom build computer //My Feedback
PLEASE DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANKS AND LOCAL CHARITIES

bikeboynate
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 14, 2012 03:02 |  #6

Like everyone above me has said, GET THE DANG CF CARDS WILLIS! :p

-Nate :D
5D Mark lll + BG-E11 | 60D + BG-E9 | Rebel XSi |
17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EX430II x 2 |
055XPROB | 322RC2 | Street Walker HardDrive |
Flickr (external link) | My website: NMBPhoto (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 14, 2012 05:55 |  #7

Well, CF/SD Adapters caused this thread so I would say so...... ;-)a

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

jakovmarkovic
115 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 14, 2012 06:03 as a reply to  @ Higgs Boson's post |  #8

And that is why you cant put a DVD into a VCR.

http://www.behance.net​/jakovmarkovic (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jakovmarkovic (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,566 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 14, 2012 07:44 |  #9

jakovmarkovic wrote in post #14263715 (external link)
And that is why you cant put a DVD into a VCR.

More appropo analogies:

VHSC adapter so you could use your camcorder tapes in a VCR....
8 track cassette adapter so you could play tapes on an 8 track system...

As others have stated, just get CF cards, it is much better overall to stick with media designed for the memory port in question.

$16 for a 4gb Ultra from Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1334407​415&sr=8-1 (external link)

Or $18 + NYC tax at B&H if you want to stay local.... There is no issue having multiple types of cards, card readers these days read about any kind of card.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,689 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 14, 2012 07:50 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14263951 (external link)
More appropo analogies:

VHSC adapter so you could use your camcorder tapes in a VCR....
8 track cassette adapter so you could play tapes on an 8 track system...

I remember a 8track player sticking out of my grandad's tape deck in his Cadillac. Quite the sight!

EOS R / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 14, 2012 09:50 as a reply to  @ SMP_Homer's post |  #11

Every time you use an adapter for a media card like Micro SD > SD > CF, you cut your data rate and risk data loss.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

PandaSPUR
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 14, 2012 10:40 |  #12

Damnit lol
Alright thanks guys, guess I'll be getting a CF card.
Just gotta decide between a 8GB Ultra or Extreme now lol.

Slightly OT, do any of you know of a "mountable" CF card reader? Like something I could just screw onto the bottom of my desk. If not, yea I'll probably just have to DIY something to mount it.

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 14, 2012 14:13 |  #13

PandaSPUR wrote in post #14264528 (external link)
Damnit lol
Alright thanks guys, guess I'll be getting a CF card.
Just gotta decide between a 8GB Ultra or Extreme now lol.

Slightly OT, do any of you know of a "mountable" CF card reader? Like something I could just screw onto the bottom of my desk. If not, yea I'll probably just have to DIY something to mount it.

re: mounting cf reader, i used double-sided tape. but be careful on the reader, some of the cheaper ones it's hard to line up the pins, so if you're not careful you can end up bending the pin on the readers, in a worst case scenario you could break a pin inside the card and then try to put it in your camera!

i have a finicky one and i always make sure to line it up in my hand when i load a card.

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

jakovmarkovic
115 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 14, 2012 15:07 |  #14

there were "mountable ones" for a floppy disk slot years ago, but I have no idea about now days when computers don't even have floppies anymore.

Get the ultra, the difference is negligible in speed, but sure is apparent when it comes to pricing. I use a couple of Ultras, they work like a charm.

http://www.behance.net​/jakovmarkovic (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jakovmarkovic (external link)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 14, 2012 15:28 |  #15

Interesting thread! We just decided to buy CF cards today when we purchased a D700. We didn't even known SD/CF adapters existed.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

7,948 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do CF/SD Adapters Cause Instability?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.