Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Apr 2012 (Friday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good extension tubes for 50 mm 1.8

Stak
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 13, 2012 21:27 |  #1

What is the general consensus on this forum for a brand that makes good extension tubes for the 50mm 1.8 prime on a 60D? I'd like to use it for Macro.

Does anybody have a shopping link?

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,876 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 13, 2012 21:33 |  #2

The Kenko DG tubes are built well and work just as good as the more expensive Canon tubes.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Stak
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 13, 2012 21:47 |  #3

gjl711 wrote in post #14262265 (external link)
The Kenko DG tubes are built well and work just as good as the more expensive Canon tubes.

Could I use the Kenko tubes on my Canon 18-135mm on a 60D?

gjl711
54,876 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 13, 2012 22:03 |  #4

Kenko tubes will work on any EF or EF-S mount lens

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 13, 2012 22:25 |  #5

Spend more and get the automatic Kenko tubes, that have electrical connections. You'll save yourself some hassle. It will maintain AF and apeture of the lens.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

gjl711
54,876 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 13, 2012 22:34 |  #6

BrickR wrote in post #14262477 (external link)
Spend more and get the automatic Kenko tubes, that have electrical connections. You'll save yourself some hassle. It will maintain AF and apeture of the lens.

That's the Kenko DG set.
http://www.adorama.com​/KNAETSDEOS.html (external link)

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 13, 2012 23:27 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #7

I have a set of auto Jessop 13-21-31mm C-EOS tubes that work with both EF and EF-S lenses

My Gear List  :p

birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 14, 2012 03:19 |  #8

Personally I don't believe there is a lot of difference as ExTubes have no optics or anything complicated in them....so why Canon and Kenko sell at such high cost is beyond belief...On ebay there are whole range of manual ones from around £8 to £15 and automatic ones starting at around £45. I would guess the main choice seems to be between plastic or metal mounts, depending on the lens you going to use it with the plastic mounts are probably good enouogh but for heavier lens I would definately prefer to use metal mounts.
I am waiting for delivery of a set of automatic tubes that cost £53, when I receive them I will try and post a review of them.

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

Miller-UK
30 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 14, 2012 06:30 |  #9

These are just as good as Kenko and will save you some money.

http://www.amazon.co.u​k …TF8&qid=1334402​937&sr=8-1 (external link)

GEAR
Unlike others I'm not here to boast about my gear, I'm here to learn.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 14, 2012 07:15 |  #10

birderman wrote in post #14263399 (external link)
Personally I don't believe there is a lot of difference as ExTubes have no optics or anything complicated in them....so why Canon and Kenko sell at such high cost is beyond belief...On ebay there are whole range of manual ones from around £8 to £15 and automatic ones starting at around £45. I would guess the main choice seems to be between plastic or metal mounts, depending on the lens you going to use it with the plastic mounts are probably good enouogh but for heavier lens I would definately prefer to use metal mounts.
I am waiting for delivery of a set of automatic tubes that cost £53, when I receive them I will try and post a review of them.

I agree, if you're going to buy tubes for macro shooting the ebay extension tubes (with electrical connections) are a good choice or if you don't like ebay the Pro Optic brand that Adorama and others sell

Stak
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 21, 2012 15:18 |  #11

So I bought the Kenko tubes but the autofocus does not stay on on focus. I can tell that it tries very hard to maintain focus but it keeps moving in and out of focus. Is there a remedy to this? I was thinking that my lack of a tripod would account for this poor focus management; I haven't tried it yet with a tripod. What do you all think?

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 21, 2012 15:54 |  #12

Stak wrote in post #14304346 (external link)
So I bought the Kenko tubes but the autofocus does not stay on on focus. I can tell that it tries very hard to maintain focus but it keeps moving in and out of focus. Is there a remedy to this? I was thinking that my lack of a tripod would account for this poor focus management; I haven't tried it yet with a tripod. What do you all think?

Without more information, it is hard to know what the problem is. AF does not work very well at macro distances, particularly without very bright light. Also, once you put on tubes, you lose infinity focus. The lens will only focus close up and otherwise will just keep hunting.

Most macro work is done with manual focus anyway, in part because depth of field is razor thin.

Macro is technically difficult. You might want to follow some of the macro forums to pick up some tips, and read the tutorials on some of them.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

gjl711
54,876 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 21, 2012 16:33 |  #13

Stak wrote in post #14304346 (external link)

I could be a couple of things. It could be that your moving too much or more likely, you are beyond minimum focus distance and it cant focus that close. Try to manually focus.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 21, 2012 18:15 |  #14

Generally AF does not work terrifically well with extension tubes...the remedy is to have camera on tripod and MF or using a macro rail to move the camera fore and aft.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 21, 2012 18:26 |  #15

with all 3 extension tubes on, the AF will be working hard. AF is depending on good light conditions and contrast to focus.

The extension tubes is here not the problem, but the camera. The tubes are only transfering the information between the lens and the camera. 7D is having much less problem with AF also with extension tubes, than a rebel.

Another reasonn why extension tubes makes AF difficult is that Dof is so much thinner. The area wich is focused are often 1/10 inches or less. That makes autofocus also more tricky.

When I am taking macro pictures I prefer to use Live view, and use a tripod with an arm, to move the whole camera back and forth untill the subject is in focus. If I am targeting bees or other insects that are moving alot, I prefer to focus on the flower and wait untill the insect comes. That is often more sucesfull than trying to hunt them.

Macro is tricky, and don't get discourage becouse of a big learning curve. It will soon be some great results.

And about the question here: all tubes produced gives the same Image Quality. The difference is on their build quality and AF. Build quality is definently a good reason for buying it, since you will quickly experience that you will change the tubes quite often. If they are hard to change, you will soon loong for something bether (like Kenko),

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,637 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good extension tubes for 50 mm 1.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.