Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a handy tripod with flash connection.

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 14, 2012 11:27 |  #1

Any experience or recommendation for a light weight tripod with a flash connection to make my 430EX a slave unit for interior use?

sponsored links
ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 14, 2012 11:36 |  #2

Why not use a light stand. You can get something on eBay for $20-30. This will give you a lot more height than a tripod would with much faster adjustment.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2012 11:39 |  #3

+1 for light stand... but if you really just want something like a tabletop stand, just use the stand that came with the flash :)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 14, 2012 14:04 |  #4

ender78 wrote in post #14264804 (external link)
Why not use a light stand. You can get something on eBay for $20-30. This will give you a lot more height than a tripod would with much faster adjustment.

I've noticed that some members of the forum use the term "tripod" to refer to what we in the US call a light stand.

This (external link) kit from Calumet works well. There are other, similar options available at B&H or Adorama.

Calumet also offers a compact stand that is essentially a Manfrotto nano stand. It is small and light. With it you will have to purchase the umbrella adapter separately.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 14, 2012 22:01 |  #5

dmward wrote in post #14265400 (external link)
I've noticed that some members of the forum use the term "tripod" to refer to what we in the US call a light stand.

This (external link)kit from Calumet works well. There are other, similar options available at B&H or Adorama.

Calumet also offers a compact stand that is essentially a Manfrotto nano stand. It is small and light. With it you will have to purchase the umbrella adapter separately.

+1

The nano stands are what I use now.

But for basic light stands, these work well...
http://www.amazon.com …tands-Cases/dp/B001WB02Z4 (external link)

$23 for the pair, shipped free.

If you have the little black plastic foot that come with speedlites, you can screw them onto the top of the stands, or just add a couple of the hotshoe flash/umbrella brackets.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

Ronny ­ Geenen
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 14, 2012 23:44 |  #6

dmward wrote in post #14265400 (external link)

This (external link) kit from Calumet works well. There are other, similar options available at B&H or Adorama.

You are right, as a Euro guy I also have not heard about a light stand.
I have looked at several on the net, but most of them are too big and not very handy to move around.
Thanks for all the comments and advices.

sponsored links

1,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a handy tripod with flash connection.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.