Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Apr 2012 (Friday) 21:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 5D3 is really what Canon shouldve released as the 5D2.

dailydriver
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 15, 2012 07:29 |  #61

IMO the 5D3 is NOT a 5D2. I had the 5D2 and the 5D3 is far from a 5D2. Canon should've gave it a new name so people would stop comparing. Most complaints are from people without one. Go rent one and play with it. :-)

5D MkIII Gripped | S100
EF 24-70 2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
600 EX RT | ST-E3-RT | Yongnou YN560

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 15, 2012 07:49 |  #62
bannedPermanent ban

Tonyz wrote in post #14264913 (external link)
^ True.

No IQ bump = underwhelming upgrade.

Sure, the 5D3 is probably great for all the sporters and birders out there who wants their camera to shoot like a machine gun. But for the ones of us who value improved IQ above everything else, the 5D3 is a 5D2.1.

Same ol' IQ, better AF + speed, and a few gimmicks like rate button and ind camera HDR.

Not very impressive.

Easy solution...don't buy it. I decided the upgrade was not worth it for what I shoot so I am not upgrading. Still can use my existing cameras exactly like I did before the 5d3 was released.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 15, 2012 07:52 |  #63
bannedPermanent ban

Tonyz wrote in post #14265176 (external link)
But you do realize that it is not just about the MP? Or are you perhaps one of those who thinks that higher MP is equivelent to higher IQ? ;)

Low ISO DR is one of the biggest keys to better IQ, something that Canon is way behind on.

Right now Nikon is beating Canon in both DR and MP.

Sure, Canon might release something to compete in the MP department, but I seriously doubt that they have what it takes to compete with the DR output of Nikon's / Sony's Exmor-sensors. At least not this year, and probably not next year either.

Then buy the D800. Get the right tool for the job. I am going to rent a D800 with the 14-24 to see how much improvement in final large prints the combo can produce. Might sell off Canon and move to Nikon if there is a noticeable difference.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 15, 2012 07:54 |  #64

Hogloff wrote in post #14268574 (external link)
Still can use my existing cameras exactly like I did before the 5d3 was released.

You not being a very good Gear Geek / Freak! :lol:

Now tell your current camera the 5D3 has been released, so it can feel inferior. Then it will fail and you will be forced to go out and buy the latests and allegedly greatest 5D3!

:lol: :lol:

FWIW: I played with a 5D3 at the dealer, they even let me take it out for a few hours. I'm waiting to see how the 1Dx shapes out.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 15, 2012 08:00 |  #65
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #14267565 (external link)
For me it's not just the mega pickles. it's the quality of those mega pickles. I have no doubt that the MkIII is a fantastic camera and it has improved in many areas. But in the image quality race Canon has stalled.

And I always thought people bought gear to take photos. Silly me, I guess I missed all the racing going on. Can you put a fin onto the Nikon horse for me.:)

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 15, 2012 08:43 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #66

I haven't read previous posts, but if this is what you guys expect from the 5D2, I'm curious, what type of improvements would you want to see on the new model?

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 15, 2012 08:46 |  #67

Tonyz wrote in post #14267569 (external link)
Where is the logic??

In their pocket :D

LordSummerisle
59 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 15, 2012 09:33 |  #68

for someone whose signature starts with 'beginners argue about bodies' I think this is quite a strange thread to start

but i'll say I've had a 5d for years, love the pictures it produces and never felt the need to spend another £2-3,000 to upgrade..

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 15, 2012 10:01 |  #69
bannedPermanent ban

LordSummerisle wrote in post #14268913 (external link)
for someone whose signature starts with 'beginners argue about bodies' I think this is quite a strange thread to start

but i'll say I've had a 5d for years, love the pictures it produces and never felt the need to spend another £2-3,000 to upgrade..

Fits fine if you are a beginner arguing about cameras. If the shoe fits.....:lol:

-MasterChief-
THREAD ­ STARTER
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 15, 2012 10:15 |  #70

LordSummerisle wrote in post #14268913 (external link)

its been a while since ive started a thread like this Lord! :p

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 15, 2012 11:39 |  #71

this "could have, should have" stuff is nonsense. We got what we got, don't like it...try another brand.

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 15, 2012 11:43 |  #72

-MasterChief- wrote in post #14262832 (external link)
I beg to differ Perfect_10, the 5D3 has an all new focusing system, Digic5, dual card slots, weather sealing, 6fps! <--------- shouldve been what the 5D2 was! :p

They did not have the technology back then... Why do people insist this is what it should have been? 4 YEARS AGO... when most of the these complainers were probably not into photography..LOL

-MasterChief-
THREAD ­ STARTER
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 15, 2012 11:46 |  #73

williejr wrote in post #14269456 (external link)
They did not have the technology back then... Why do people insist this is what it should have been? 4 YEARS AGO... when most of the these complainers were probably not into photography..LOL

the 1d series had weather sealing and dual card capability for as long as i can remember, dont even get me started with AF! :D ill give you DIGICV though! :p

-MasterChief-
THREAD ­ STARTER
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 15, 2012 11:47 |  #74

dont get me wrong, im not complaining. the entire 5D series are awesome cameras -- heck, the original 5D was waaaaay ahead of its class! all im saying is, Canon shoudlve held the trigger a little longer and released the 5D3 AS the 5D2 ... or whatever you want to call it. The 5D Classic was, and still, holds its own in terms of IQ, IMHO.

Ivann
244 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 15, 2012 12:29 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

williejr wrote in post #14269456 (external link)

From what planet are you?

Of course they had the tech back then, both Canon and Nikon did! Yes, even for the little gimmicks like the rate button and in camera hdr.

On a side note; Nikon has included their pro AF systems and weather sealing in their entry level cameras, for many years now.

I am sure glad that the 5D line finally catched up with Nikon's entry bodies! lol.

sponsored links

9,514 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 5D3 is really what Canon shouldve released as the 5D2.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.