Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Apr 2012 (Monday) 01:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Horse jumping help

Showjumper91
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 16, 2012 01:08 |  #1

I have just been to my first horse event with my new camera. I just wanted to see if my pictures are any good and also how I can improve them. I would love to have really crisp images of the horse and rider but I can't really get the focus how I want it to be. Any suggestions?

If there are any horsey photographers out there I would love to hear from you in regards to how you focus for the shot (eg. do you follow the horse? or focus on the jump? etc)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 16, 2012 01:28 |  #2

Hi ShowJumper,
Welcome to POTN.

We'll need to know...what kind of camera do you have (some have autofocus tracking that can be adjusted in different ways)?

Rules of thumb...
Get faces as much as possible. (This can be really hard with the hats on...you can see how one rider's eyes are completely covered and the other's are heavily shaded.)
Shoot from the front (you are 100% with your pair of photos here).
Skip the flash.

Make sure you check out your horse magazines to learn the money shots. You need to learn where the legs should be for the best photo. Then you have to learn the timing to capture that positioning.

I'm not a jumper photographer yet, but I have been asked by a local stable to shoot some of their competitions this year.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

Showjumper91
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 16, 2012 03:26 |  #3

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have a Canon 7D camera. I use single point auto focus on it. Maybe I should use all focus points to make the images sharper?

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,068 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2012 06:00 |  #4

Have you checked out the "Show me your horses" thread in the "Pets" section? There are some amazing photographers in there that are professionals. Might be a great place to ask for advice. Looks like you are off to a good start.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

etaf
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 16, 2012 13:08 |  #5

what lens did you use
what settings
where did you meter and where did you focus

- I just played with some shots today at an event for some fun

hopefully exif is in the shot -

my first time photographing horse jumping

I used manual exposure a lot on the afternoon - metering off the grass - i think changed to auto ISO

This was setting up manual on the grass and letting auto ISO
1/1000 F5.6 iso400 120mm

This was just setting manual on everything based on the grass
1/640 F5.6 iso200 120mm

also used Back Button Focus and setup on the jump first and then on same used that asfocus - others tried to focus on the house eye- but that was almost impossible for me to do

I took quite a few shots and have about 22 I have played with and seem OK
my problem is the because of the fast shutter speed on most images the house still has back images on the ground and just looks like horse is rearing up rather than jumping

good fun anyway
and heres my 2 shots

I also had permission of the photographers and organisers to take a few shots - hopefully I can go back and have another go

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

60D | EF-S 18-200 | 50mm 2.5 macro | 550EX | Pro1 | Elements

Qbx
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 16, 2012 20:41 |  #6

Very nice action captures. My advice is turn off autofocus and use manual focus. Pre-focus on the rails and use an aperture of f8 to f11.

-- Image Editing OK --

stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 16, 2012 21:25 |  #7

I played with it I think this is processing also..... focus on the top rail and start shooting just before it jumps in continuous shot mode....it think you didn't sharpen enough,could use some gamma correction and a little contrast

IMAGE: http://www.mynetimages.com/1c3ebfa6ef.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.mynetimages​.com  (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.mynetimages.com/18c84747b9.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.mynetimages​.com  (external link)

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

sponsored links

1,602 views & 0 likes for this thread
Horse jumping help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.