Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Apr 2012 (Monday) 07:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 17-50 vs Canon 15-85

still ­ a ­ lot ­ to ­ learn
47 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 16, 2012 07:53 |  #1

I am hoping to upgrade my kit 18-55 lens that came with my T2i in the not to distant future.

I have been going round and round in my head about which lens to get. Do I want a bit more reach or better light across the whole zoom range.

What I came to for a conclusion is that either of those scenerios would be benificial over the kit lens so now I have narrowed it to 2 lenses that are "somewhat" in my budget range.

The Canon 15-85
The Sigma 17-50 F2.8

Now to my question. Since I have decided that both increased reach or increased light would be a step up for me I am going to make my decision based on Image quality from the lenses regardless of the fact that they do different things.

So I was hoping people could tell me their good (and bad) experiences with either of these lenses and which they think is the better lens.

To be honest I am leaning toward the Canon as I have heard lots of stories about "needing to get a good copy" on the Sigma. Also as I want this as a walk around lens and actually have a canon 35mm f2 for low light and portraits.

Thanks for any input anyone can give

sponsored links
pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 16, 2012 07:59 |  #2

Sigma is way better from optics build quality 2.8 thru the whole zoom silent AF way better IQ! i don't think the 15-85mm got anything on the sigma and u get a nice bag and a lens hood with your lens..

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2012 08:40 |  #3

I'd get the 15-85, IQ is excellent and my experiences in playing (and not winning) the Sigma lottery 3 times turned me off to them.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 16, 2012 08:57 |  #4

still a lot to learn wrote in post #14273806 (external link)
I am hoping to upgrade my kit 18-55 lens that came with my T2i in the not to distant future.

I have been going round and round in my head about which lens to get. Do I want a bit more reach or better light across the whole zoom range.

What I came to for a conclusion is that either of those scenerios would be benificial over the kit lens so now I have narrowed it to 2 lenses that are "somewhat" in my budget range.

The Canon 15-85
The Sigma 17-50 F2.8

Now to my question. Since I have decided that both increased reach or increased light would be a step up for me I am going to make my decision based on Image quality from the lenses regardless of the fact that they do different things.

So I was hoping people could tell me their good (and bad) experiences with either of these lenses and which they think is the better lens.

To be honest I am leaning toward the Canon as I have heard lots of stories about "needing to get a good copy" on the Sigma. Also as I want this as a walk around lens and actually have a canon 35mm f2 for low light and portraits.

Thanks for any input anyone can give

the sigma is going to be sharper, the Canon a wider focal range. depends on what you want and your other lens.
I prefer 17-50 2.8 for walk around zooms on a crop

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 16, 2012 08:59 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #5

If you need 2.8 Sigma wins

If you don't Canon wins as a better walk around lens; I needed the 2.8 and regret nothing.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 16, 2012 09:04 as a reply to  @ Rocky Rhode's post |  #6

Thanks for the replies so far.

So is it safe to assume either would be a pretty good step up in image quality over the kit lens?

THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 16, 2012 09:37 as a reply to  @ still a lot to learn's post |  #7

Ok now i need to throw one more lens into the mix. I just found a canon 17-85 lens for $383 (refurb) which seems like a pretty nice price to me.

Is this lens far below the other 2 in quality, image quality ect.

Is it worth that much above the kit 18-55? I know i get more reach but how about quality wise?

Sorry for all the questions. I just have a limited budget and want to get the most I can for what I can afford.

artyH
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 16, 2012 10:03 |  #8

I have the 18-55IS and image quality is pretty good. I am not sure if you are going to get that much more with the other lenses. The Sigma is super sharp in the center, but I don't know if it is better on the edges than the cheap kit lens. The 15-85IS has a much wider range, and that could be useful.
I have been going through the same thinking, and wondering if it is worth the extra bucks for one of these lenses.
The 15-85 is wide, but slow, and I already have a Tokina 12-25f4. The Tokina is a sharp lens.
The Sigma is sharp in the center, but how is it on the edges at f4? IS AF OK on the first try?
I would hate to have to send a lens back.

Giorgos
271 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 16, 2012 10:11 |  #9

I recently got the sigma from amazon.de 1st copy was bad 2nd was focusing ok. They payed shipping fees so why worry? Get the sigma imo you can be more creative with f/2.8 rather than 35mm more focal range.

5D MKIII / 550D / Σ 35 / Σ 17-50 / 24-105 f/4L is usm / 70-200 f/2.8L is usm ii
Gunman.gr (external link) I build LEGO :)
Gear

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 16, 2012 10:31 |  #10

still a lot to learn wrote in post #14274215 (external link)
Ok now i need to throw one more lens into the mix. I just found a canon 17-85 lens for $383 (refurb) which seems like a pretty nice price to me.

I have never owned the 17-85, but it never really had a steller reputation, and the 15-85 is no doubt better than it in every possible way. That seems a bit high of a price to me, maybe okay for refurb, but you should be able to find used for under $300 without too much of a challenge. Don't think it will have better IQ than the newest 18-55 IS.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 16, 2012 10:32 |  #11

Never had one problem with my 17 50mm sigma out the box I just had to learn how to use it big step up from the cheap plastic kit lens I love it i dont think I need another zoom...
$Time to go prime from here$

I think most problems with sigma lenses are human error not the lens!!!

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

Giorgos
271 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 16, 2012 12:38 |  #12

pkilla wrote in post #14274507 (external link)
Never had one problem with my 17 50mm sigma out the box I just had to learn how to use it big step up from the cheap plastic kit lens I love it i dont think I need another zoom...
$Time to go prime from here$

Nah its not that hard to focus test using some AA batteries.

Go with sigma with a company that will pay shipping fees like amazon

5D MKIII / 550D / Σ 35 / Σ 17-50 / 24-105 f/4L is usm / 70-200 f/2.8L is usm ii
Gunman.gr (external link) I build LEGO :)
Gear

THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 16, 2012 12:43 as a reply to  @ Giorgos's post |  #13

Nah its not that hard to focus test using some AA batteries.

Go with sigma with a company that will pay shipping fees like amazon

What about buying local? I found the sigma for the same price as price at Amazon or B+H at a local place (Hunts photo an video).

Will a local place alow you to bring camera and test lens before purchase?

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 16, 2012 13:02 as a reply to  @ still a lot to learn's post |  #14

The 15-85 is a very nice lens, and sharp too. A bit expensive even for that. It's my most used lens out of 5 others. It's only disadvantage over the 17-50 is aperture and what works for me is slower zooms like the 15-85 for general purpose and relatively inexpensive primes when I need/want wide apertures.
I haven't used the 17-85 but it's reviews and reputation are that it's an 18-55 IS kit lens with a longer range, but not as sharp.

Richard
Gear

ljason8eg
478 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 16, 2012 13:45 |  #15

pkilla wrote in post #14274507 (external link)

Its pretty well known that many Sigma lenses are more inconsistent as far as AF accuracy goes compared to their Canon equivalents.

Jason
Gear: 1D Mark III | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L | Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 | 580 EX II |

sponsored links

16,533 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 17-50 vs Canon 15-85
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.