Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Feb 2012 (Monday) 01:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fine Art Paper – Printing Question

AVL369
57 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 13, 2012 01:51 |  #1

Hi,

First time posting here but have taken the time to read through many interesting threads, yet to find an answer that relates to a current challenge though, so I thought I'd post up a thread in the hope of some suggestions and/or guidance.

To help understand my issue a little easier, here's a list of related tools I'm using:

iMac OS X Lion, Lightroom 3 (LR3), Canon Pixma Pro9500 MKII inkjet printer, Canon ink, and Canon Fine Art Paper Museum Etching FA-ME1

Having selected the correct profile for Canon Fine Art Paper Museum Etching FA-ME1 in LR3's Print module, then selecting “Fine Art Museum Etching” in the Quality & Media drop-down menu, when I hit on Print the following message comes up:

“Error Number: 88 The media type and paper are not set correctly. Stop printing, change the settings, and print again. If you selected Fine Art “ Museum Etching as the media type, you need to set the paper size to an art paper size (Margin 35).”

Trouble is (from my perspective), by going with the art paper size with that Margin 35, there's far too much empty canvas, as it were; I want my printable area on an A3 sheet to cover much more, leaving approximatively half an inch (just shy of 1½ cm) as an unprinted on border.

In the higher echelons of the art world this may be deemed as a ridiculous notion for Fine Art paper, but this is my preference (right now) and I don't understand why I'm being forced to keep within someone else's printing parameters and not allowed to print on a larger area of my A3 page. Surely such a thing is possible, and seeing as the printer, ink and paper is at my expense why should Adobe or Canon care how much area I choose to splash ink on?!?!

I have tried with Borderless Printing, but that won't work with Fine Art Museum Etching paper; it automatically switches to the profile of the other paper I use, which is Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss SG-201.

I posted this issue up on another board and someone responded saying they too had encountered the same issue some years back and wrote to Canon Support in the US. This was the reply he received:

“Thank you for your inquiry. We value you as a Canon customer and apologize for the printing errors you have had with your PIXMA Pro9500.

Please try the following adjustment to see if we can resolve your issue:

1. Open the Hard Drive (Mac HD).

2. Open the Library Folder.

3. Open the Printers folder.

4. Open the Canon Folder, then the BJ Printer folder. Once there, open the Utilities folder.

5. Open the Canon IJ Printer utility.

Once open, go to the Custom Settings section and disable the 'Detect Paper Width' option.”

Although I found my way through the directions above 1-4 alright, I came unstuck on #5: Open the Canon IJ Printer utility.

There are actually two Canon IJ Printer Utility applications in this folder, and neither of them have any tabs or headers titled “Custom Settings”, and I can’t see anything to suggest where I might find the “Detect Paper Width” so I can disable it.

Not sure how these will show up, but these are the links to screen-grabs so you can hopefully see for yourself what I mean.

file://localhost/Users​/iMac/Desktop/Screen%2​0Shot%202012-02-13%20at%2012.28.58.png

file://localhost/Users​/iMac/Desktop/Screen%2​0Shot%202012-02-13%20at%2012.29.40.png

In both cases, if I double click on Canon IJ Printer, this window pops up:

file://localhost/Users​/iMac/Desktop/Screen%2​0Shot%202012-02-13%20at%2012.29.19.png

Apologies for the long post, but thought it best to provide as much detail as possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing and able to share some time helping me figure this one out!

Ashley Vincent
Nature Impressions (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
ruhell
22 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 13, 2012 02:03 |  #2

H i
I don't have any high end Canon printer but it springs to mind that I've read on several forums that the nicer Canon printers will leave a 35mm (or so) margin around the "expensive" papers when You select their profiles.
Others will probably know better than me...

Regards
Rune

http://rune.zenfolio.c​om/ (external link)

AVL369
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 13, 2012 02:06 |  #3

ruhell wrote in post #13877110 (external link)
H i
I don't have any high end Canon printer but it springs to mind that I've read on several forums that the nicer Canon printers will leave a 35mm (or so) margin around the "expensive" papers when You select their profiles.
Others will probably know better than me...

Regards
Rune

Thanks for the swift reply Rune, hopefully others here will have had some experience with this and be able to steer me right.

All the best!

Ashley Vincent
500px (external link)

AVL369
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 13, 2012 18:05 |  #4

Still in need of help on this please!

Ashley Vincent
500px (external link)

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 16, 2012 21:21 as a reply to  @ AVL369's post |  #5

I don't have an answer to the question about disabling "Detect paper width" but I read a possible solution to the original problem just today. On Amazon, there's a review for the Canon Museum Etching paper that states the paper's the same as Hahnemuhle (sp?) Museum Etching paper. The writer recommended setting the paper type to "matte" and using Hahnemuhle's profile; that way the printer doesn't insist on the wide margins.

I haven't tried it, just passing it on.

Task514
65 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 23, 2012 10:11 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #6

This is the answer I got from Canon... regarding my Pixma Pro9000 markII
When I inquired regarding borderless printing on a 13" x 19" Fine Art Museum Etching

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding your PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II.

It is not possible to print borderless on Fine Art Paper. In order to print borderless on Fine Art Paper, you would need to select Matte Photo Paper instead.

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca (external link)

Sincerely,

Sylvester
Technical Support Representative
Customer Information Centre
Canon Canada Inc.
Did you know? Canon has introduced a Loyalty Program to provide our customers with the opportunity to purchase a new qualifying product at a discount directly from Canon’s eStore website. We also offer extended warranty on select models. Ask us how you can take advantage of these exciting money saving opportunities by contacting us at 1-800 OK Canon (1-800-652-2666).

Canon 60D
Canon T2i/550D/Kiss X4 [Sold]
[EF-S 18-55mm IS (sold)] [EF 50mm f/1.8 II (sold)] [Sigma DG 70-300mm Macro (sold)] [EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM(7-blade)] [EF 50mm f/1.4 USM] [EF 70-200mm f/4L USM] [Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II (sold)] [EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM] [EF 50mm f/1.8 (original)] [Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX]

sponsored links

3,019 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fine Art Paper – Printing Question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.