Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
mdvaden
Goldmember
3,397 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 16, 2012 21:36 |  #7231

shankarhokie wrote in post #14277907 (external link)
Hello,

She is a beautiful girl. My daughter said the same thing!

Here is my quick edit. I copied the layer and used the spot healing brush to eliminate the acne. Then I did the high pass skin smoothing I described above. I flattened the layers, and then created a new layer, used the soft light blend method, filled it with 50% grey. This was my dodge & burn layer. Dodging is making the midtones brighter. I used that to brighten the iris. Burn is darkening the pixels. I used that to slightly darken the white shirt (that was the focal point before) and also the wooden backdrop. If I had the RAW file, I can do a lot more. Practice.. practice .. practice. I think you can do a lot of this with Elements, but having Photoshop CS5 is a lot easier on some tasks.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …shankar_hokie/6​939841892/  (external link)
Not_mine_Nancy_mdavden​_edit_picasa (external link) by shankar_hokie (external link), on Flickr

Just for comparison ... below is the version I posted earlier. Thank -you BTW.

Never shot RAW last autumn or winter. Lately, I've started shooting JPEG + RAW, and at least saving the RAW files for the best images that I plan to edit.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 16, 2012 22:10 |  #7232

umphotography wrote in post #14277708 (external link)
Would not waste my time and effort with projection sales tactics. I have many reasons but mainly, i don't want my business associated with used car sales tactis for my photography business. I just dont need the reputation that some of the studios have in my area. I just got done talking a class with a very established senior photographer. He is on the same page as myself and he has actually researched the subject and determined that projection sales and some of the tactics that go with it hurt the sales process. Your trying to get them to buy on emotion with projections sales. I want them to buy on emotion and with a clear conscious. I will stick to what Im doing. Ive heard to many bad reports from clients in my area about this technique that is supposed to increase sales.......It does not work.

Perhaps im missing something, but how does projector sales = pressure sales? I dont see how it matters if you use a large monitor or projector, either way could be done as a high pressure sales session or relaxed/ let them buy what they actually need.

Canon investor

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 16, 2012 22:15 |  #7233

wamerritt wrote in post #14277872 (external link)
Love this attitude! I sometimes wish I was better at business(I really suck at it), but also pride myself on pure honesty and value to my clients. I can't stand selling square inches. I have a hard time even asking for money at all, but it is getting easier.

It would be nice to be able to do this as a non profit business, but that doesnt pay the bills. :)

My sales technique has been to show them the pictures, then show them my various products are and let them buy what they need. They wont buy what they dont know you offer.

I may give them encouragements to get more but its not done in a pushy way. An example was the other day they were trying to narrow down the pictures from 40 to 20 for the press printed book, they reduced them down to 24 pictures but the were going to have a hard time taking 4 away, so I just said for $40 they could get the 4 extra pictures in the book and wont have to try to decide which ones to take away and they took the offer in a heartbeat, plus it saved me about 5 minutes of them trying to decide, hehe.

Canon investor

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 16, 2012 22:32 |  #7234

GerryDavid wrote in post #14278413 (external link)
It would be nice to be able to do this as a non profit business, but that doesnt pay the bills. :)

My sales technique has been to show them the pictures, then show them my various products are and let them buy what they need. They wont buy what they dont know you offer.

I may give them encouragements to get more but its not done in a pushy way. An example was the other day they were trying to narrow down the pictures from 40 to 20 for the press printed book, they reduced them down to 24 pictures but the were going to have a hard time taking 4 away, so I just said for $40 they could get the 4 extra pictures in the book and wont have to try to decide which ones to take away and they took the offer in a heartbeat, plus it saved me about 5 minutes of them trying to decide, hehe.

I'm very curious how many people on here do this as a full time support your family career. I do not. I'm a legit business, and pay my taxes, but no where near supporting my family.

I've recently taken a hard look at what I'm doing. I have decided the best thing for me is less clients so I can enjoy the process and not get too busy to enjoy some time with my family.

Wes
http://www.wesmerritt.​com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/wesmerrittphotograp​hy/ (external link)
Olympus OMD M43

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 16, 2012 22:47 |  #7235

@GerryDavid
Easier with the husband/wife team: "we're really looking forward to working with you!" Not at all creepy. Single guy: "I'm really looking forward to working with you!". Not necessarily creepy, but possibly...

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 16, 2012 22:59 |  #7236

jsvphoto wrote in post #14278566 (external link)
@GerryDavid
Easier with the husband/wife team: "we're really looking forward to working with you!" Not at all creepy. Single guy: "I'm really looking forward to working with you!". Not necessarily creepy, but possibly...

wamerritt wrote in post #14278503 (external link)
I'm very curious how many people on here do this as a full time support your family career. I do not. I'm a legit business, and pay my taxes, but no where near supporting my family.

I've recently taken a hard look at what I'm doing. I have decided the best thing for me is less clients so I can enjoy the process and not get too busy to enjoy some time with my family.

That's where I'm at.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 16, 2012 23:05 |  #7237

wamerritt wrote in post #14278503 (external link)

Each year my business is getting better, Im hoping it continues in this trend. :D Last year I would have made a good income if it wasnt for all my business expenses. stupid rent, gear, etc. :) I am full time though, when im not working on paid work im busy with marketing, planning and other business stuff that seems to soak up the time.

Canon investor

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 16, 2012 23:10 |  #7238

GerryDavid wrote in post #14278659 (external link)
Each year my business is getting better, Im hoping it continues in this trend. :D Last year I would have made a good income if it wasnt for all my business expenses. stupid rent, gear, etc. :) I am full time though, when im not working on paid work im busy with marketing, planning and other business stuff that seems to soak up the time.

Are you saying photography is your sole source of income or not?

Wes
Olympus OMD M43

tlzimmerman
258 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 16, 2012 23:27 as a reply to  @ wamerritt's post |  #7239

Couple from a recent senior. c&c welcome.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1155.photobuck​et.com …roadsphoto/OX4C​8151bw.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1155.photobuck​et.com …oadsphoto/OX4C8​144sev.jpg (external link)

5d Mk III - 5d Mk II - 550d - 24-70L - 70-200L IS II - 24-105 F4 L - 85 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 60 Macro - 15 Fisheye

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 16, 2012 23:58 |  #7240

Love #1

would like a little better view of her face in #2

Not sure about her expression either.

Very nice lighting.

Wes
Olympus OMD M43

darnok
26 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 17, 2012 05:27 |  #7241

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

treephoto.pl (external link)
facebook (external link)

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 17, 2012 07:29 as a reply to  @ darnok's post |  #7242

Mario Vaden:
You are so lucky to live among those Redwood forests.. I am going to visit those someday and hope to join your trek/hike team

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 17, 2012 08:17 |  #7243

wamerritt wrote in post #14278679 (external link)

Im retired and i have a good retirement income. Im able to take 30yrs of corporate experience and devote it to the business. Unique Moments will net 75K for 2012. We want it to break 100K in 2 yrs so my wife can can take an early retirement as well.....its gonna happen:cool:

Gerry David

The studios that are using the projection sales and bringing in the clients for marathon viewing buying sessions. They put up several fully processed looks along with the other files they want to show, then try to get them to buy on the spot---pretty much w/o exception this is why they do it.

Then they use tactics, often used car sales tactics, to get them to buy products. We have studios in our area that play the games. Ive heard the stories. They are shown the image once and if they dont buy it, they cant see it again. If you buy this and that, you get this for this price and that for this price...all kinds of krap to complicate the sales process. Then the clients leave confused, pressured, and spending money they dont have for products

Thats not what i will let our business do

We want our clients to make informed intelligent decisions and we dont want them to spend one dime more than they can afford. We use incentive programs to get them to buy different products, but it is completely non pressure sales approaches.

Im in it for the long haul. The business supplements my retirement income and is going to replace my wifes income level eventually. We are not about to let anything get in the way of a fair, reasonable,and honest photography business.

I bring them into a viewing session. I ask them to be prepared to pick their selections at the session. They get a link for 30 days to decide before they come in and all of our product prices are in the link. When they come in they make their selections and they get to see the upgraded products we offer.

If they cant make the decision, They get a folio book with the products and the proof pages. They get to take the book home with a $300.00 deposit which is our costs for our basic print packages. Informed intelligent buyers make better decisions for their family needs. The general thought is that they spend about 30% more when they are not pressured.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 17, 2012 08:37 |  #7244

wamerritt wrote in post #14278679 (external link)

Its my sole income, but not enough to live off of, we got my wifes income for that. :) During the day when she works I look after our 7 month old, and when she gets home its my turn to work and go out and do portraits. It works out pretty well since we don't have to have a daycare that raises the baby instead of us. :)

Our eventual goal is to get my business to make enough for my wife to stay home with our child and homeschool him and assist me here and there when I need it. :)

Canon investor

KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 17, 2012 09:35 |  #7245

umphotography wrote in post #14280121 (external link)
Im retired and i have a good retirement income. Im able to take 30yrs of corporate experience and devote it to the business. Unique Moments will net 75K for 2012. We want it to break 100K in 2 yrs so my wife can can take an early retirement as well.....its gonna happen:cool:

Gerry David

The studios that are using the projection sales and bringing in the clients for marathon viewing buying sessions. They put up several fully processed looks along with the other files they want to show, then try to get them to buy on the spot---pretty much w/o exception this is why they do it.

Then they use tactics, often used car sales tactics, to get them to buy products. We have studios in our area that play the games. Ive heard the stories. They are shown the image once and if they dont buy it, they cant see it again. If you buy this and that, you get this for this price and that for this price...all kinds of krap to complicate the sales process. Then the clients leave confused, pressured, and spending money they dont have for products

Thats not what i will let our business do

We want our clients to make informed intelligent decisions and we dont want them to spend one dime more than they can afford. We use incentive programs to get them to buy different products, but it is completely non pressure sales approaches.

Im in it for the long haul. The business supplements my retirement income and is going to replace my wifes income level eventually. We are not about to let anything get in the way of a fair, reasonable,and honest photography business.

I bring them into a viewing session. I ask them to be prepared to pick their selections at the session. They get a link for 30 days to decide before they come in and all of our product prices are in the link. When they come in they make their selections and they get to see the upgraded products we offer.

If they cant make the decision, They get a folio book with the products and the proof pages. They get to take the book home with a $300.00 deposit which is our costs for our basic print packages. Informed intelligent buyers make better decisions for their family needs. The general thought is that they spend about 30% more when they are not pressured.

I don't see how projection sales equate to high pressure sales tactics just because some in your area, who you don't care for their business approach, use that avenue to show the photos. Based on your approach, it sounds like you have people not ordering within 30 days of their session. I want people ordering within two weeks. I can have them do that by having a viewing session, going over the products we offer and helping them decide on what to order. No high pressure tactics, order what you want.

Canon 5D MKII gripped | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | 580 EXII | AB 800's

sponsored links

2,740,770 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.