Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 17, 2012 09:38 |  #7246

jmalonear wrote in post #14277717 (external link)
I bought an EPSON projector and a 91" remote controlled screen. I used the screen a few times before I bought my iPad. Once I had my iPad, I installed the app called "Portfolio" I have not used the projector for viewings since. I hand the customer the iPad and start a slideshow. When the slideshow is finished, I let them manually swipe through the images taking as long to view each one as needed. Works like a charm!!

Want to sell your projector and screen then?

Canon 5D MKII gripped | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | 580 EXII | AB 800's

sponsored links
shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 17, 2012 10:11 |  #7247

bw!:lol:

KCMO Reefer wrote in post #14280473 (external link)

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 17, 2012 10:14 |  #7248

KCMO Reefer wrote in post #14280460 (external link)
I don't see how projection sales equate to high pressure sales tactics just because some in your area, who you don't care for their business approach, use that avenue to show the photos. Based on your approach, it sounds like you have people not ordering within 30 days of their session. I want people ordering within two weeks. I can have them do that by having a viewing session, going over the products we offer and helping them decide on what to order. No high pressure tactics, order what you want.

Projection screening reminds me of Olan Mills studio. That is very High pressure. They have a coupon for a freee 8X10 or a small value package. You go there with your kid. They take 50 photos. They print out ALL the photos of your cute kid, and tell you that they will be shredded if you don't buy them. Thanks to mom, we now have multiple sets of photos of our 2 kids in various sizes that are collecting dust (we have one 8X10 of each hanging on the wll, and we did send copies to grandparents, uncles,etc).

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 17, 2012 10:36 |  #7249

shankarhokie wrote in post #14279950 (external link)
Mario Vaden:
You are so lucky to live among those Redwood forests.. I am going to visit those someday and hope to join your trek/hike team

(Just had a chance to give a tour to a writer from Washington D.C., about 2 weeks ago, and his photographer. They were prepping for a debut issue of a new European magazine to come out like this June. Next week, I'm meeting a friend from California, and another coming from Germany, for 2 one-day expeditions into the north parks: unexplored areas. But sure, if you even get out this way, I'd be interested to know if your trip coincides with one of my visits, which average every 6 to 8 weeks)

Hey, I almost emailed a couple of files of the set from which the shot below is in. An athletic high school senior who plays soccer. This was not a "Senior" photo shoot, but another TFP for practice.

Her skin is not tanned, but looks naturally like a dark tan. I asked, because it was February. She said it's her natural skin color.

The scalp where the hair parts > I think her hair is actually blonde. I saw some senior photos taken of her from near the Dalles, Oregon. Much lighter hair. Here, the darker hair makes the scalp stand out more at the part of the hair. Do you folks ever edit that area, and if so, any particular technique? The light area is all scalp, not natural hair color growing out. It's colored right to the skin.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 17, 2012 10:44 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #7250

The shot above was under some understory of trees. In the photo below, 2 hours earlier, we were more exposed to the sky, the clouds were not as dark, and so her hair is not quite so dark. And the scalp area is a bit more subtle.

I had never really paid any attention to the scalp area or where hair parts until this particular shoot.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mmb
117 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 17, 2012 10:47 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #7251

jmalonear wrote in post #14277717 (external link)
I bought an EPSON projector and a 91" remote controlled screen. I used the screen a few times before I bought my iPad. Once I had my iPad, I installed the app called "Portfolio" I have not used the projector for viewings since. I hand the customer the iPad and start a slideshow. When the slideshow is finished, I let them manually swipe through the images taking as long to view each one as needed. Works like a charm!!

My only comment is that you want them to imagine the picture as a large print and not an 8x10 like on the iPad. I rarely have anything printed smaller than 16x20.

GerryDavid wrote in post #14278376 (external link)
Perhaps im missing something, but how does projector sales = pressure sales? I dont see how it matters if you use a large monitor or projector, either way could be done as a high pressure sales session or relaxed/ let them buy what they actually need.

This. The technology used to show the image doesn't make the sales situation. How you interact with the client does.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 17, 2012 11:30 |  #7252

mmb wrote in post #14280868 (external link)
My only comment is that you want them to imagine the picture as a large print and not an 8x10 like on the iPad. I rarely have anything printed smaller than 16x20.

This. The technology used to show the image doesn't make the sales situation. How you interact with the client does.

Not so sure that is true. The whole reason behind it is to get them in there, wow them with the shots, and apply some pressure to get them to spend right on the spot. That in itself is not a bad thing in my mind. The very things mentioned like, after the session the images will be destroyed, Once you skip, you cant see again, if you spend this, you get that,,,,,that's the type of stuff that leads to problems in my mind. Plus, projection screenings take longer time and ties up my schedule as well. when they come in, they often have a hard time deciding, not so sure what their budget is, and your sitting there for 2 hours waiting for them to decide.

Anyway. To each his/her own style. We will stick with ours because it works.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 17, 2012 12:07 |  #7253

umphotography wrote in post #14281087 (external link)
Not so sure that is true. The whole reason behind it is to get them in there, wow them with the shots, and apply some pressure to get them to spend right on the spot. That in itself is not a bad thing in my mind. The very things mentioned like, after the session the images will be destroyed, Once you skip, you cant see again, if you spend this, you get that,,,,,that's the type of stuff that leads to problems in my mind. Plus, projection screenings take longer time and ties up my schedule as well. when they come in, they often have a hard time deciding, not so sure what their budget is, and your sitting there for 2 hours waiting for them to decide.

Anyway. To each his/her own style. We will stick with ours because it works.

So Mike, how do you display the images for the clients when they come to the ordering session? Are you saying they know exactly what they want to buy when they show up? I was under the impression by a previous post of yours that once they arrive, you take them through the upgraded products you offer? You use incentive promotions to get them to buy. So there's no pressure for them to use those incentives? Sure there is, just by offering the incentives. That's what incentives are, to induce people to buy something. Strong arming them has nothing to do with this conversation, it's simply a discussion on how to display images for your clients.

I don't see how what you do is all that different than what I intend to do other than they don't get a preview of their images before the viewing session. I don't know why you assume that anyone that uses projection to display the images will use such tactics as "you must buy today" or "we trash all the images that aren't purchased today". How is it different than showing them the iPad or the images on a 55" plasma? I see it as an opportunity for them to see what large wall portraits could look like on their wall. Does that put pressure on them? I don't think so. Go into a lot of viewing rooms and they display the same image on the wall in different sizes (8x10, 11x14, 16x20, etc...) Let's the customer know what they are getting and helps them determine what size they need for a certain space int heir home.

We all strive for the larger portrait sales, otherwise we wouldn't offer them. Whether you pressure your clients to buy is your own business strategy but the way you show images doesn't produce that pressure, it's the person selling the product.

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 17, 2012 13:10 |  #7254

KCMO Reefer wrote in post #14280473 (external link)

I said I haven't used it for viewing sessions...I said nothing about plugging the iPad to the projector to play games on a 91" screen....lol I still use it some...just not for customers...lol

mmb wrote in post #14280868 (external link)

A couple weeks ago I sold $2000 from my iPad from one session....the order included, but wasn't limited to 2-20X30's, 4-16X20's, 2-10X20's I NEVER sold that from the 91" projector screen.

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 17, 2012 13:31 |  #7255

jmalonear wrote in post #14281533 (external link)
A couple weeks ago I sold $2000 from my iPad from one session....the order included, but wasn't limited to 2-20X30's, 4-16X20's, 2-10X20's I NEVER sold that from the 91" projector screen.

So, when Mom and Dad are with the senior at the viewing, what do they do, pass around the iPad and each take a turn?

Wouldn't you think your big order customer was going to order that anyway, iPad, big screen, projector or else? They certainly didn't order that just because they viewed their images on an iPad.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 17, 2012 13:34 |  #7256

KCMO Reefer wrote in post #14281267 (external link)
So Mike, how do you display the images for the clients when they come to the ordering session? Are you saying they know exactly what they want to buy when they show up? I was under the impression by a previous post of yours that once they arrive, you take them through the upgraded products you offer? You use incentive promotions to get them to buy. So there's no pressure for them to use those incentives? Sure there is, just by offering the incentives. That's what incentives are, to induce people to buy something. Strong arming them has nothing to do with this conversation, it's simply a discussion on how to display images for your clients.

I don't see how what you do is all that different than what I intend to do other than they don't get a preview of their images before the viewing session. I don't know why you assume that anyone that uses projection to display the images will use such tactics as "you must buy today" or "we trash all the images that aren't purchased today". How is it different than showing them the iPad or the images on a 55" plasma? I see it as an opportunity for them to see what large wall portraits could look like on their wall. Does that put pressure on them? I don't think so. Go into a lot of viewing rooms and they display the same image on the wall in different sizes (8x10, 11x14, 16x20, etc...) Let's the customer know what they are getting and helps them determine what size they need for a certain space int heir home.

We all strive for the larger portrait sales, otherwise we wouldn't offer them. Whether you pressure your clients to buy is your own business strategy but the way you show images doesn't produce that pressure, it's the person selling the product.

Not trying to get into an argument with you. I Just know whats going on in our areas and in the industry in general.

Do we display images ?

Yes. 8x10s, 11x14's, 16x20's,24x30's and 30x40's. Prices are on each picture. We also display Gallery wraps, canvas prints, metal stand outs, albums, Numerous frames and frame styles, plus a bunch of goodies that our labs puts out.

No Pressure for them to use incentives ??

Absolutely no pressure at all. We tell clients, these are the products we offer and we only want you to purchase products that you can afford and meets your needs.

Do they know exactly what they want to buy ?

Absolutely do Not !!

Incentive promotions to buy products ??

We build value into our product line. There is no minimum requirement to purchase

For Example

Ala cart menu is most expensive to way to buy-- 8x10 is $45.00.

We have a $110.00 print package that includes 2 8x10's, 2 5x7's and 32 wallets. Its cheaper to buy a minumum package than order off the Ala cart menu

Thats the type of incentives we offer on print only packages. I want families that have kids that may not be as well off as others to be able to have a good quality product at a good price point. Minimum yearbook package is $185.00. If they book it during or may sale its $148.50. Its a indoor 45 minute session for the yearbook photos only. I do several each year. We also get several that can only afford the yearbook package, that contact us a couple months later, that buy framed prints and grad cards and other products we sell. And they tell me that they come back because they know we are honest and trustworthy.

So I think our approach is the better way to do it.

If they step up and buy a 16x20 framed print and a gallery wrap, they receive a discount on the print packages. Or they can get a set of Grad cards. Stuff like that is what we do.

And we are very confident about the approach we take. I give them the folios with all the products and the proofs in it to take home for 10 days to decide. The end results is there is no pressure what so ever to buy, they buy within their means, and best of all, they always buy more.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 17, 2012 13:53 |  #7257

umphotography wrote in post #14281654 (external link)
Not trying to get into an argument with you. I Just know whats going on in our areas and in the industry in general.

Do we display images ?

Yes. 8x10s, 11x14's, 16x20's,24x30's and 30x40's. Prices are on each picture. We also display Gallery wraps, canvas prints, metal stand outs, albums, Numerous frames and frame styles, plus a bunch of goodies that our labs puts out.

No Pressure for them to use incentives ??

Absolutely no pressure at all. We tell clients, these are the products we offer and we only want you to purchase products that you can afford and meets your needs.

Do they know exactly what they want to buy ?

Absolutely do Not !!

Incentive promotions to buy products ??

We build value into our product line. There is no minimum requirement to purchase

For Example

Ala cart menu is most expensive to way to buy-- 8x10 is $45.00.

We have a $110.00 print package that includes 2 8x10's, 2 5x7's and 32 wallets. Its cheaper to buy a minumum package than order off the Ala cart menu

Thats the type of incentives we offer on print only packages. I want families that have kids that may not be as well off as others to be able to have a good quality product at a good price point. Minimum yearbook package is $185.00. If they book it during or may sale its $148.50. Its a indoor 45 minute session for the yearbook photos only. I do several each year. We also get several that can only afford the yearbook package, that contact us a couple months later, that buy framed prints and grad cards and other products we sell. And they tell me that they come back because they know we are honest and trustworthy.

So I think our approach is the better way to do it.

If they step up and buy a 16x20 framed print and a gallery wrap, they receive a discount on the print packages. Or they can get a set of Grad cards. Stuff like that is what we do.

And we are very confident about the approach we take. I give them the folios with all the products and the proofs in it to take home for 10 days to decide. The end results is there is no pressure what so ever to buy, they buy within their means, and best of all, they always buy more.

Not arguing, discussing. I still don't see how you're approach varies from mine with the exception of you show them a web gallery ahead of time and don't use a projector at viewing. No pressure, no questionable sales tactics, etc...

I think everyone's ala carte pricing winds up being more than a package would cost. That is why we have packages, to show them a better way to purchase and save dollars, an incentive.

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 17, 2012 14:44 |  #7258

KCMO Reefer wrote in post #14281638 (external link)
So, when Mom and Dad are with the senior at the viewing, what do they do, pass around the iPad and each take a turn?

Wouldn't you think your big order customer was going to order that anyway, iPad, big screen, projector or else? They certainly didn't order that just because they viewed their images on an iPad.

I have nothing against the projector presentation...just stating my iPad has given me the same results, and with a better looking image I might add. The clarity of the iPad images is a big difference. And as far as taking turns...usually one parent is all that comes with the senior, but even when they both do show up...I have three chairs side by side, the one in the middle holds the iPad during the slideshow and they can all see with no problem.

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 17, 2012 14:57 |  #7259

jmalonear wrote in post #14282026 (external link)
I have nothing against the projector presentation...just stating my iPad has given me the same results, and with a better looking image I might add. The clarity of the iPad images is a big difference. And as far as taking turns...usually one parent is all that comes with the senior, but even when they both do show up...I have three chairs side by side, the one in the middle holds the iPad during the slideshow and they can all see with no problem.

I would think that a 1080p projector could produce images that rival an iPad, especially when you consider that iTunes compresses the photos down to under 1500 pixles on the long side.

Obviously, there are many ways to be successful in this business. I doubt many people would come into a studio, be shown a presentation via projector and leave saying "Gosh, I wish they would have shown those to us on an __________ instead(<---insert iPad, proof book, plasma TV). A google image search for photography studio viewing room brings up many images showing how our collegaues are proofing images.

If nothing else, our conversation will help others decide on how to do their proofing.

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 17, 2012 15:35 |  #7260

umphotography wrote in post #14281654 (external link)
The end results is there is no pressure what so ever to buy, they buy within their means, and best of all, they always buy more.

Much respect for this Mike. A few years ago (almost 10!) when my cousin and I were seniors in high school, my aunt found her way into one of those high-pressure studios. Her family does OK financially but she ended up taking out a loan to pay for my cousin's photos. And of course, they were garbage.

I think people should be accountable for their spending decisions but those business practices were outrageous.

sponsored links

2,731,212 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.