Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 26 Jan 2007 (Friday) 17:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Atlanta, Georgia POTN'ers

mtavel
149 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2012 18:15 as a reply to  @ post 13904099 |  #2431

Atlantan here!

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-sPTsZbr1bD8/T1KjepAxuBI/AAAAAAAABxI/9LxPT3isR5A/s1280/atl-4897.jpg

Tavel Photography (external link)

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2012 18:31 |  #2432

Cool shot! Where's that taken from?

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

mtavel
149 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2012 20:44 |  #2433

CameraMan wrote in post #14016725 (external link)
Cool shot! Where's that taken from?

Thanks! It was taken near the Coca-Cola building (Ga Tech area).

Tavel Photography (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2012 22:18 |  #2434

Nice. Looks like you were on a rooftop or balcony? That's over by the aquarium too isn't it?

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 16, 2012 19:28 |  #2435

CameraMan wrote in post #13903656 (external link)
If ya like old buildings check these out...

The Rustic Ruins of Rural Georgia (external link)

That's just a handful of photos I took of old dilapidated buildings near my home.

very cool

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 09, 2012 21:43 |  #2436

Hey everyone, I just created a new group on Facebook specifically for Middle Georgia Photographers. It's called the Middle Georgia Photographic Society (external link).

Check it out!

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 14, 2012 09:11 |  #2437

CameraMan wrote in post #14238860 (external link)
Hey everyone, I just created a new group on Facebook specifically for Middle Georgia Photographers. It's called the Middle Georgia Photographic Society (external link).

Check it out!

cool i just requested to join.

lavanut
Goldmember
2,493 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 16, 2012 19:53 as a reply to  @ Brian_R's post |  #2438

Anybody been to the air show in Warner Robins (external link)? Looks like it's right around the corner. I'm contemplating heading down for it. Any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2012 20:07 |  #2439

lavanut wrote in post #14277581 (external link)
Anybody been to the air show in Warner Robins (external link)? Looks like it's right around the corner. I'm contemplating heading down for it. Any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

I may go. Looks like fun. I went to the Chicago Air Show years ago. I'd love to go to another air show. It'll probably be the 29th. I have a wedding to shoot on the 28th.

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 17, 2012 06:27 |  #2440

Never been to that one. I would love to go but can't this year. Last time I was at an air show I rented the 100-400mm and loved it. I used Tv mode for props to try to get some blur and Av mode for jets. Also brought a wide-angle lens for static displays but wished I brought a macro too for detail shots. For the Blue Angles I watched videos of their show for that year before going to the air show so I would have a better idea of the routine and know what to expect. Then you can anticipate the next move and be ready for the shot.

Here's a good page with lots of info: http://airshow-reviews.com/photograph​y.html (external link)

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's
My Smugmug (external link) | Flickr (external link)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 17, 2012 12:01 |  #2441

I'm planning on heading down to it. I haven't been to one at WR, but have been to the ones at Dobbins a few times.

Tip one: If you havent been to an airshow before, go both days. Day one - enjoy the show, and get a feeling for the displays. Don't aim to take a lot of photos, as you'll miss the experience by looking through the viewfinder (especially the blue angels). Day two: As you'll have a better idea whats going on, you should be able to get more + better shots.

Tip two: If you have a backup body - take it. I have my 100-400 on my 7d, and a 24-105 on my 450D. Make sure it all fits into a small bag - as backpacks / large bags arent allowed. Swapping out a lens while the show is going on is a pain in the butt.

Tip Three: Plenty of memory cards. You'll go through more than you think, even though you will probably junk 70-80% of the photos.

Tip Four: Sunscreen and ear protection. You'll be outside for a LONG time, and the planes are very noisy....

Tip Five: Bring a chair, and something to do for a few hours or sitting around. If it's like Dobbins has been - getting out will take forever, that it's much more pleasant to just sitdown, and wait for the queues for buses to drop, then join the line.

Tip Six: Show Center - Work out where it is, and try to sit somewhere where the sun will be behind you as much as possible near the end of the day when looking towards show center. Not sure what the setup at WR is, but dobbins tends to have you shooting towards the sun a lot.... I've found that moving during the show is not a good idea - once you've claimed your spot - if you move you'll end up with way too many people in the way.

Tip Seven: If you dont have a zoom lens out to 400mm - then rent one. I'd recommend the 100-400 (though be careful you might end up buying one after renting! - I did). I find a zoom much more useful to frame stuff, and you'll probably need the 400mm to get any reasonable close up shots. If you do rent a 100-400 - make sure you have a day before hand to play with it - the push pull zoom can be off putting to some, but to me it's great for following aircraft in the air.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

lavanut
Goldmember
2,493 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 17, 2012 18:42 as a reply to  @ pleb1024's post |  #2442

Wow, thanks for all the great info, Daniel! Trying to shoot an airshow is on my list of things to do. I'm just not sure if I'll make it down this weekend. I do have family in the area. I'm hoping my brother will want to go to since he's into aviation stuff, but I doubt I can go both days.

I do have a 100-400 and a 7D, and that's what I was thinking about taking. I probably will take a second body as well if I end up going. The lens/camera combo is still TBD.

I also see that PDK is having an airshow on May 12th. I have a prior commitment that afternoon, but I doubt I could beat the convenience of that one. :)

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

Shutterbug ­ Doug
"Ducks Gone Wild"
960 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 19, 2012 02:13 |  #2443

I've wanted to shoot an Air Show for a long time and I heard the WR one advertised on the radio yesterday. Would love to go to it but I have to shoot at Road Atlanta this weekend and can't pull that off. And the weekend of the PDK one I have to shoot the Drift races at Road Atlanta too. Looks like I will have to wait and see if Dobbins is possible for me. I kind of miss the freedom I used to have to go shoot whatever/whenever but I'm trying to get somewhere in my photography that's been a goal of mine for years and I'm too close now to stop the quest.

Bodies: Canon 7D(gripped) - Canon 1DmkII - Canon 5D(gripped) Lenses: Sigma 18-50 f2.8-4.5 DC OS - Canon 24 f2.8 - Canon 50 f1.4 - Canon 35-80 f4.0-5.6 - Canon 24-70 f2.8L USM - Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS - Canon 100 f2 - Canon FD/EF convert 35mm f2.8 T/S - Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS USM - Sigma 170-500 f5-6.3 APO Accessories: Canon 420EX-Canon 580EXII- Manfroto 679B monopod- Manfrotto 3021BPRO w/390RC2 - Canon EF 1.4x II

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 19, 2012 07:05 |  #2444

Shutterbug Doug wrote in post #14291036 (external link)
I've wanted to shoot an Air Show for a long time and I heard the WR one advertised on the radio yesterday. Would love to go to it but I have to shoot at Road Atlanta this weekend and can't pull that off. And the weekend of the PDK one I have to shoot the Drift races at Road Atlanta too. Looks like I will have to wait and see if Dobbins is possible for me. I kind of miss the freedom I used to have to go shoot whatever/whenever but I'm trying to get somewhere in my photography that's been a goal of mine for years and I'm too close now to stop the quest.

Doug - they have "Wings Over North Georgia" in late September up in Rome. A nice thing about that show is they are selling photography passes which gets you in early with unrestricted access to the aircraft and show-line viewing. I wish Dobbins would do that but I suppose that's the difference with military bases. I think the next Dobbins show is 2014 from what I heard. I'll be at RA too this weekend and again for Drift Atlanta.

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 19, 2012 07:09 |  #2445

lavanut wrote in post #14283187 (external link)
I also see that PDK is having an airshow on May 12th. I have a prior commitment that afternoon, but I doubt I could beat the convenience of that one. :)

I went last year and it was a neat little show but I couldn't stay the entire time. It was so hot and I started feeling dizzy after a couple of hours so I got out of there. They moved the show up to an earlier date this year but unfortunately put it right on top of Drift Atlanta. For me, drifting trumps any air show - it's just way too much fun!

sponsored links

517,468 views & 28 likes for this thread
Atlanta, Georgia POTN'ers
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.